Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: Temple of Elemental Evil world editor discovered hidden in game's official Polish patch

bonescraper

Excuses, i am not polish but Edytor Świat pretty much reads "World Editor" with clear instructions on how to spawn it!
More like edytor świąt. Maybe it makes sense to someone who doesn't know a single word in Polish. Personally, i thought it's just a poor trolling attempt.

Lhynn

Arcane
Excuses, i am not polish but Edytor Świat pretty much reads "World Editor" with clear instructions on how to spawn it!
More like edytor świąt. Maybe it makes sense to someone who doesn't know a single word in Polish. Personally, i thought it's just a poor trolling attempt.
Just acknowledge you dont understand your own language better than non natives and move on.

Black

Arcane
It awesome how potatoes failed us for 10 years and then when one kurwa bro broke the news - codex potatos failed us once again by spamming for 3 pages in the original thread without comprehending what the guy actually was telling...
Brah, there's a reason potatoes don't play their games in their own language. Mods, for one.
That's fine, but it amuses me moar, that noone understood the Kurwa guy in the original thread. What, there's a reason potatoes cannot read potato?
He's not Polish and the shit he posted is completely unintelligible.
That could've been the stuff Co8 guys were using all along as far as I knew.

Angus

Barely Literate
The Co8 modders have had their own home grown version this for years. It's called the "Temple of Elemental Evil World Builder", and it's been available for public download and useable by anyone for over 10 years. It is quite a piece of work, and does just about anything the newly discovered WorldEd can do, except it doesn't have a nifty graphic interface. Most of the mods developed for the game by them have used this tool.

The discovery of WorldEd is not going to suddenly make modding so much easier that new modules will be pumped out by the dozen every year. Most of the work for a new mod is the creation of new map artwork, dialogs, managing story-state variables, voice recordings, and things like that. Once that's done, actually laying it all out is the easy part, which the WorldEd may make a bit easier. But there won't be a big explosion in mods because of this discovery.

Black

Arcane
Just make more areas with good encounters and implement more feats and I'll be fine. Where's my grappling, god dammit.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm telling you guys, it's Jaesun. He's been freelancing in the deep web on a quest for the golden ToEE editor.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Gaear explains why they were unable to publicly talk about the editor:

We've known about it for a very long time. It's essentially irrelevant though, because for the reasons Agetian stated above, we've never been at liberty to share it. A little dose of reality here - ToEE itself is not a game that ever had modding 'authorized' for it, so we've always actually been on thin ice legally just releasing modpacks. Taking the liberty of publicly distributing proprietary development software would just be reckless beyond the pale, and it would jeopardize the very existence of the modpack and all the hard work that's gone into it over the years so that people can play a better version of the game.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=137927&postcount=10

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

We've known about it for a very long time. It's essentially irrelevant though, because for the reasons Agetian stated above, we've never been at liberty to share it. A little dose of reality here - ToEE itself is not a game that ever had modding 'authorized' for it, so we've always actually been on thin ice legally just releasing modpacks. Taking the liberty of publicly distributing proprietary development software would just be reckless beyond the pale, and it would jeopardize the very existence of the modpack and all the hard work that's gone into it over the years so that people can play a better version of the game.

I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER FORGIVE THEM.

Jk, Co8 guys are bros.

Gord

Arcane
And then they'd get sued into oblivion for breaking their NDA.

Can't sue people for breaking an NDA they never signed.

Unless they did in order to prevent any legal repercussions for their Co8 modpack? Dunno, admittedly sounds a bit far-fetched.

Well, maybe they did just want to prevent competition (but why?) or they were simply afraid that they might be shut down by some lawyer. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened, although I would expect that the risk isn't that large considering what they were doing.

Grinning Reaper

So the fear was...

1. Create throwaway account on gaming forum.
2. Announce the existence of world editor via installation of Polish patch.

3. Get sued into oblivion and have Co8 modpack destroyed?

Not seeing it. Nothing needed to be distributed. An announcement would have sufficed as far as I can tell, and there was no need to announce it alongside anyone's actual identity or affiliation with Co8.

Mer1

Novice
They have known for a very long time? At least from 2008 I bet, as the ToEE World Editor and V2Brute particle editor show up in the log of a bug report from a Polish user, and you can see the co8 developer fix the issue. See http://co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6579&page=2
They have been hosting that particle editor for almost 4 years now, they better remove it pronto or risk the wrath of Atari.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And then they'd get sued into oblivion for breaking their NDA.

Can't sue people for breaking an NDA they never signed.

Unless they did in order to prevent any legal repercussions for their Co8 modpack? Dunno, admittedly sounds a bit far-fetched.

Well, maybe they did just want to prevent competition (but why?) or they were simply afraid that they might be shut down by some lawyer. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened, although I would expect that the risk isn't that large considering what they were doing.

Like others have pointed out - the editor is already distributed freely with an official patch. Nothing stopped anyone from making a throaway account and writing what temple of elemental kurwa just did. The way I see it, one of two things happened with Co8:

1) They were clueless about the editors existence. Their posts today are hot air and them trying not to lose face. In which case they are butthurt and stupid.
2) They knew abut the editor but didn't want to lose their special snowflake status by sharing the good. in which case they are A-grade douchebags.

Either way, they're either dumb or dicks.

Black

Arcane

This is why lawful anything (besides evil) is for fags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom