Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CODEX VOTE: Best REAL-TIME Blobbers Of All Time (Non-Anime)

Which Are Your Favorite Real-TIme Blobbers?

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
After the Codex vote on the turn-based blobbers, let's have another one for the lovers of real-time blobbers.

The (hopefully) complete list of TB and RT blobbers was compiled in this thread. There are also lists of tactical combat blobbers and single person dungeon crawlers.

Complete list of REAL-TIME Western Blobbers:

Abandoned Places 1 (1992)
Abandoned Places 2 (1993)
Aeon of Sands (2018)
Amulets & Armor (1997)
Arakion (Early Access)
Black Crypt (1992)
Bloodwych (1989)
Captive 1 (1990, Amiga)
Captive 2 (1993, Amiga)
Cardhalia (2002)
City Beneath the Surface (1998)
Crystal Dragon (1994, Amiga)
Deep Paths (2016)
Demise: Rise Of The Ku'Tan (1999, RTwP)
Demise: Ascension (1999, RTwP)
Dungeons of Avalon (1991, Amiga)
Dungeon Kingdom (Early Access)
Dungeon of the Dragon Knight (2019)
Dungeon Master 1 (1987)
Dungeon Master 2 (1995)
Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
Evil's Doom (1996, Amiga)
Eye of the Beholder 1 (1991)
Eye of the Beholder 2 (1992)
Eye of the Beholder 3 (1993)
Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (2015, RTwP)
Heroes of Monkey Tavern (2016)
Haunted Dungeons (2017)
Hexx (1994, by Psygnosis)
Infernal Tome (1994)
Ishar Trilogy (1994)
Knightmare (1991, Amiga, Atari ST)
Lands of Lore (1993)
Legend of Grimrock 1 (2012)
Legend of Grimrock 2 (2014)
Lords of Doom (1990)
Menzoberranzan (1993)
Minions of Mirth (2005)
Mordor - The Depths of Dejenol (1995)
Ravenloft 1: Strahd's Possession (1994)
Ravenloft 2: Stone Prophet (1995)
Stonekeep (1995, RTwP)
Walls of Illusion (1993, Atari ST)

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm not voting because i didn't play 2/3 of the game on the list, still, i enjoyed the Ishar series and also Grimrock 1 (not enough to complete this one though).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Chaos Strikes Back is of course in a league of its own, and is the prestigious gentleblobberer's choice.
Dungeon Master is a clear number two.
After that it's a long way down to Black Crypt.
Lands of Lore was also pretty good.
Evil's Doom was also not too bad.
Abandoned Places was rather meh.
Eye of the Beholder I liked back in the days, but now the AD&D system combined with real time grates too much.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks like nobody cares about RT blobbers - and for the most part I agree. There are a few gems in this genre though.

Incendax

Augur
Might and Magic 6 would be my top vote for RT Blobber, but I have to give respect to Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, and Grimrock (for bringing it back).

Dorateen

Arcane
Demise: Ascension is really an amazing experience, and should get more recognition along with its other incarnations, Rise of the Ku'Tan and Mordor. The history behind its development is fascinating, the sheer scope of the dungeon is massive, the mechanics of guild quests and guild changing (very Wizardry-esque) provide hundreds of hours to play through. Every now and then I see this title pop up, and I'm reminded it is a top ten cRPG for me.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Only games on this whole list I even sort of enjoyed were the Eye of the Beholder series (and, even then, Dungeon Hack was my favorite and it’s not on the list).

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Seems like blobber is a difficult concept for many to understand. Dungeon Hack is single character, therefore it cannot be a blobber.

Martyr

Arcane
this thread reminds me that I've never really played Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back and Dungeon Master 2.
I know this is heresy, but DM2 is the most interesting of the bunch to me. why? because the beginning with the hedge maze and the rain looks like it has some amazing atmosphere going for it.

dungeon-master-2-the-legend-of-skullkeep-12.png

but out of those that I have played, Demise takes the cake. brilliant game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
this thread reminds me that I've never really played Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back and Dungeon Master 2.
I know this is heresy, but DM2 is the most interesting of the bunch to me. why? because the beginning with the hedge maze and the rain looks like it has some amazing atmosphere going for it.

dungeon-master-2-the-legend-of-skullkeep-12.png

but out of those that I have played, Demise takes the cake. brilliant game.

I finished DM2 when it came out, but the atmosphere was not nearly as good as in Eye of the Beholder 2 or even Lands of Lore, in my opinion.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Seems like blobber is a difficult concept for many to understand. Dungeon Hack is single character, therefore it cannot be a blobber.

Didn’t claim it was. Just said that series was the only one I kind of enjoyed and that the one of the series I liked the most isn’t even on the list. Everything else on your part is conjecture about my meaning.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Saying that Dungeon Hack is missing on the blobber list implies that it should be there. That's not conjuncture, but simple logic.

What I do find amusing is that someone would lie to cover up the fact that he didn't know what a blobber is.

Efe

Erudite
holy shit hired guns.
i never could remember or knew its name.
also wtf zwanzig can formulate sentences like a normal human being, at least sometimes?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Current results for best real-time blobbers:
  1. Eye of the Beholder (14 votes)
  2. Legend of Grimrock 2 (13 votes)
  3. Dungeon Master (12 votes)
  4. Lands of Lore (10 votes)
  5. Eye of the Beholder 2 (9 votes)
  6. Legend of Grimrock (9 votes)
  7. Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back (5 votes)
  8. Ishar Trilogy (5 votes)
  9. Stonekeep (5 votes)
  10. Demise: Rise Of The Ku'Tan (4 votes)
  11. Menzoberranzan (4 votes)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom