Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Very crisp looking lines there, very romanceable

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
VmJ5sKK.jpg

"L-l-look at you, Ranger..."

XKFjuGj.png

As if I'm making a System Shock-ish thing.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Are those placeholders? The banner's borders are in art deco style (should be art nouveau if going for victorian steampunk), while its font is in... something I don't know but which doesn't match at all; add that ugly comic book font on the button, and you get quite a jarring effect.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
PzV58Zo.jpg

Axed anal GL code for light shafts. Now they're rendered using a custom shader and a vertex painted mesh.

Once DG1 addon is out, I'll try building a small level and see how much time it's going to take and how I can improve the workflow to spend less time on boring shit.

Which game has best modding tools for standalone campaigns.
Sword of Moonlight.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
You press a button, something wallsome happens.
I want to keep the editor as simple and as fast as possible and ship it with the game to allow players to create more stuff and share it among frenz. Even though the side project is not an RPG, this is a good learning experience that will benefit my RPG projects a lot. :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Finished the editor, added slow areas and playtesting mode. It's built into the game, so you can easily create your own mazes and play them along with stock levels, or upload them somewhere so others can play them. I decided to ditch the predefined campaign and instead make campaign templates with a set number of levels (e.g. 'Coffee Break' (3 small, 3 medium, 3 large), 'Maze Lover' (10 large), 'Long Game' (10 small, 10 medium, 10 large), with the ability to add your own templates with a bit of text editing.

Overall, it already feels very good -- levels can be constructed in a matter of minutes, the editor is simple enough to the point even a monkey can build something, and the game itself feels pretty good.

It's not a complex game by any means, but as a small recreational project before DG2, it works.

Duckard

Augur
Working on top-down dungeon crawler combat. Trying to go for a tb combat system that requires formation based fighting like in blobbers, but with more spatial component to the gameplay.

Came up with 2 possible options. A is more like card game, and B is more like tactics. Do you think A could work, or is B the way to go?

fRIyaAc.png

DgQRPED.png

Also, grid is small b/c I want it to feel a little claustrophobic and low-moblity since you're in a confined dungeon.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Rebuilding one of the tutorial levels from DG1 in DG2 to see how it's going to look and how efficient the tile-based level design is going to be in terms of time.

Spoiler: it's already pretty fast and less error-prone than the method used in DG1.

D6RmK7MX4AEo013.jpg:orig

Dorateen

Arcane
Came up with 2 possible options. A is more like card game, and B is more like tactics. Do you think A could work, or is B the way to go?

fRIyaAc.png

DgQRPED.png

Personally, I would go with B. Restricted zones is fine and enjoyable for first person blobs. But if you are going top down, you might as well take advantage of allowing the pieces to move around freely on the board, even if space is limited. The Gold Box games often had sprawling areas for their tactical combat maps, but every now and then fights were in close quarters with the enemy right on top of the player's characters.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Working on top-down dungeon crawler combat. Trying to go for a tb combat system that requires formation based fighting like in blobbers, but with more spatial component to the gameplay.

fRIyaAc.png

DgQRPED.png

Also, grid is small b/c I want it to feel a little claustrophobic and low-moblity since you're in a confined dungeon.

Both can work. I've done both in my own projects. I prefer a system where you can move around freely, but there are some advantages to pursuing a system like A, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it. You should follow your gut and do whichever system makes the most sense for your game and makes you happiest in terms of both the work involved and the overall vision you have.

Duckard

Augur
Thanks bros. Like most Codexers I prefer the TB tactics approach, but I just realized something after I woke up. In this game the focus will be on disposable allies, and taking over enemies to make them join your team (think Wizardry IV but with charm instead of summoning). Charming a back row opponent would break up the formation in a system like B, whereas in A it would automatically move them to the player team's zone. Probably will end up prototyping both anyway, but I'm leaning toward A now.

Kind of off topic, but in additional to the gold box games, Dark Heart of Uukrul has some small maps that feel really closed in:

4u5rAyO.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

fRIyaAc.png

DgQRPED.png

A can and does work for many games.

B would be reasonably original, there are lots of tb games with no movement restriction but I can't think of one off the top of my head that allows free movement but makes the battlefield extremely narrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom