Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
How do these graphics look? Would you guys pay $15 for a game that has graphics like this? Assuming the game is actually fun, of course.

8L121Ux.png

Duckard

Augur
Been working on combat prototype.

Iteration 1: "Game" was a glorified calculator, and I drove all interactions. 2 basic attacks per character (aoe + single target).
Feedback 1: Can't tell what the attack AoEs are. Contiguous grid could work.

Iteration 2: Added grid system, AoE visualization, and computer controlled turn based combat. Targeting range and AI are still driven by me.
Feedback 2: Too simple, game plays itself. Enthrall is OP. Use contiguous grid.

Iteration 3:

Player on the left. Added a bunch of more actions, including enemy push/moves (Shove, Teleport) and self moves (Charge, Reposition). Enthralling a unit causes it to become stunned for 1 turn. Targeting range and AI are still driven by me.
Feedback 3: Please let me know what you think. :)

Personally, I still feel like it plays itself after you lose your teammates. I suspect because enthrall is trivially deterministic (half HP or less = guaranteed success), and because the distance stops mattering under the current rules when there's no one to fill the space. Maybe I should make enthrall more complex or random. Maybe I should build a prototype on a contiguous grid with a consistent spatial layout.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Decided to add sections with poison/acid gas to keep the player on his toes and provide some minor tactic00l decisions, and can be identified as shit floating in the air/acid pools (?) and w/e.
Maybe I should make a boss battle inside one of these just to act like a massive dick.

D7DX7zCXoAEvVRF.jpg:large

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Around three years ago i added audio support to my engine, but it was only "ambient" sounds without any sort of positioning information. Today i decided to spend a few minutes and implemented stereo panning based on the sound source's 3D position in the world relative to the camera:

In a few years i might also add volume control :-P.

(note that the level above is also around three years old, it just is the only that has a bit of gameplay and thus i can use to test the sounds - also everything, sounds included, is placeholder stuff)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Since I decided to go full retard, might as well do it until the end -- enemies in DG2 only know your exact position at the start of the battle, which could make it trivial to run away by avoiding their line of sight.

Not quite. Enemies use their ears now and react to your footsteps and communicate your position to each other whenever you're detected (current sound detection radius for footsteps is 2 cells, but might tweak that later).

In this quick vid both enemies are blind, but react to player's footsteps and immediately inform each other if they've managed to detect the player.

Now I need to turn that into something that allows putting together small diversions to throw your enemies off your tail.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
As X Caeli is mostly done (I'm slowly finishing its script and that's gonna be that) and was mostly done for a long time, we've been working hard on a yet unannounced project. As always, codex gets the privilege of a first glimpse into it, particularly into a squad/character builder. I won't explain much but it all should be pretty obvious.

117D18FDF3F1C53CE69062FC56D6373F97B02D88

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As X Caeli is mostly done (I'm slowly finishing its script and that's gonna be that) and was mostly done for a long time, we've been working hard on a yet unannounced project. As always, codex gets the privilege of a first glimpse into it, particularly into a squad/character builder. I won't explain much but it all should be pretty obvious.

117D18FDF3F1C53CE69062FC56D6373F97B02D88
Roller-skate derby with power armour?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Roller-skate derby with power armour?

Roller blades are optional. Nah, the easiest way to describe it is Into The Breach with match-3 element and hordes of enemies (even if I literally dreamed the overall concept several years before ITB).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Added your favorite element from System Shock 2 and Deus Ex games.

Of course, I am talking about the security cameras. :troll:

These little shits inform enemies about your location in combat and increase the encounter chance outside of it.
D7YredxXoAIzMm2.jpg:orig

Duckard

Augur
Did a stupid amount of coding. Now there's a contiguous grid, pathfinding, LOS calculation, and a targeting system with support for multi-phase targeting (e.g. select a target in range of your character, then select a second target in range of the previous target). Also some nifty tooling that lets me create new abilities easier.

d3wiBRs.png

opqJXay.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The battles have been missing something so I've been trying to add more to them. I now have flanking bonuses, informative status effect popups that look pretty snazzy too. Also, walls that give bonuses to attack and defense and attack range. Wall hexes have +1 movement cost if climbing up from a non-wall hex, unless you're moving a flying unit. Test level screenshots below. Behold my 3D-modeling skills! I can make hexagon-cylinders and cubes.

WallsBattleTest_Ranged.jpg

WallsBattleTest_Walking2.jpg

Things are still a little buggy. Sometimes the whole lance doesn't climb to the top of the wall. I should make the ranged attack arc go up more. I should probably also disable melee attacks between wall/not-wall hexes.

And I still need to add destructible gates and maybe some other things. But overall I think the changes are pretty good.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Really nice, but DOF seems broken - or is it an a stylistic choice?
Yeah, the DOF is kind of strong. The more you zoom in, the narrower the DOF is. I was kind of going for an Octopath Traveler look. But then when you zoom out, the DOF is supposed to mostly disappear. I think it's more noticeable in these screenshots because the tops of the walls are pretty close to the camera.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, the DOF is kind of strong. The more you zoom in, the narrower the DOF is. I was kind of going for an Octopath Traveler look. But then when you zoom out, the DOF is supposed to mostly disappear. I think it's more noticeable in these screenshots because the tops of the walls are pretty close to the camera.

just turn it off, a half ass feature is worse than no feature

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer

Or I could fix it. A lot of people when they saw my game for the first time a few months ago said that it reminded them of Octopath Traveler, and I'm quite happy to let people make that connection. Is it a matter of the DOF blur just being too strong? Do I need to make the focused area wider? Should I blur only the background and not the foreground? Or maybe only if the foreground is really, really close to the camera?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Or I could fix it. A lot of people when they saw my game for the first time a few months ago said that it reminded them of Octopath Traveler, and I'm quite happy to let people make that connection. Is it a matter of the DOF blur just being too strong? Do I need to make the focused area wider? Should I blur only the background and not the foreground? Or maybe only if the foreground is really, really close to the camera?

There's no reason for the foreground to be blurred like in the first one but honestly even the background one looks weird. it's not aesthetically pleasing, it's distracting and it serves no gameplay purpose like a los/vision radius would.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone on Reddit's OpenGL subreddit asked about writing a shader that generates normal maps on the fly from diffuse maps, so i did a quick test for that in my 3D world editor. Then i played around a bit more with the shader and implemented it in the engine, threw a bunch of lights in the editor and made a small video (warning: i *still* haven't implemented volume control, so mind your headphones):

OBS adds a bit of pausing between switching to game and editor for some reason, but there is a part with the editor before and after the gameplay (which, if you have seen my previous videos, you've already seen how it plays, except now it has rainbow lighting :-P).

This is really a quick test, not something i'm "properly" working on (not that i'm "properly" working on anything at the moment, mostly throwing random stuff at the wall to see what sort of stains will be made).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom