Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by 20 Eyes, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Or I could fix it. A lot of people when they saw my game for the first time a few months ago said that it reminded them of Octopath Traveler, and I'm quite happy to let people make that connection. Is it a matter of the DOF blur just being too strong? Do I need to make the focused area wider? Should I blur only the background and not the foreground? Or maybe only if the foreground is really, really close to the camera?

^ Top  
  2. Dualnames Wormwood Studios Developer

Dualnames
    Hey Nathaniel3W, do you mind relinking to the shots in question?

^ Top  
  3. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    There's no reason for the foreground to be blurred like in the first one but honestly even the background one looks weird. it's not aesthetically pleasing, it's distracting and it serves no gameplay purpose like a los/vision radius would.

^ Top  
  4. Bad Sector Savant Patron

Bad Sector
    Someone on Reddit's OpenGL subreddit asked about writing a shader that generates normal maps on the fly from diffuse maps, so i did a quick test for that in my 3D world editor. Then i played around a bit more with the shader and implemented it in the engine, threw a bunch of lights in the editor and made a small video (warning: i *still* haven't implemented volume control, so mind your headphones):

OBS adds a bit of pausing between switching to game and editor for some reason, but there is a part with the editor before and after the gameplay (which, if you have seen my previous videos, you've already seen how it plays, except now it has rainbow lighting :-P).

This is really a quick test, not something i'm "properly" working on (not that i'm "properly" working on anything at the moment, mostly throwing random stuff at the wall to see what sort of stains will be made).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Here they are (spoilered so I'm not double-posting spam, for those who have already seen it):
    Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. AdolfSatan Savant

AdolfSatan
    The DOF effect looks fugly because its application makes no sense whatsoever. On one hand, it shows no concern for any kind of aesthetic values; on the other it's distorting and hiding information from the eye.
    I've no idea what algorithm are you using to generate it, but it doesn't seem to be taking any actual depth into account, it looks just like random blurriness.

^ Top  
  7. Duckard Augur

Duckard
    Nathaniel3W I just looked up some screenshots of Octopath to compare with your game. I believe they're using a tilt shift effect rather than the standard DOF that it looks like you're using.

Typical DOF just blurs by sampling the depth buffer and comparing it with the specified focal distance, whereas a proper tilt shift shader will mimic the Scheimpflug principle.

This post on tilt shift both explains how the real process works if you want to go down that route, and how to fake it convincingly with an image effect. Note that the FOV and positioning of your camera will also have an impact on the look, so you can try playing with that as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Looking at Octopath screenies, I'm not convinced tilt shift adds anything of value to its look either.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dualnames Wormwood Studios Developer

Dualnames
    When AdolfSatan gives u advice u listen, that name alone lol

• No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dualnames Wormwood Studios Developer

Dualnames
    Jokes aside, I do agree with what has been said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep experimenting with the effect till u get it right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. redactir Artist Formerly Known as Prosper

redactir
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Duckard Augur

Duckard
    Would you buy a game with art that looks like this?

[​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 6
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    I would, if the game was good. Gameplay is going to be more important than art style.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with this style of art, and for some games, I actually prefer the retro look.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bad Sector Savant Patron

Bad Sector
    I want to focus the art style part and add that it is better to stick with a with a lo-fi and crude art style that is applied consistently than a mishmash of different art styles and qualities where some parts are high fidelity and others are low.

^ Top  
  15. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Nothing wrong with this style of art, so long as it fits the game. Like Bad Sector says, the art should all match. I would like to add that the art should also match the gameplay.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    [​IMG]
    A good exemple of game shipped with literal stick figure art.
    Dream Quest is really good (and was an ancestor to Slay the Spire).
    The guy sold 5000 or so games at 10€ piece, so it can be done(it is not huge by any stretch, but he also sold the game on iOS, and moved to Steam much later. Also, the game got him a job at Blizzard on Hearthstone).

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    How did you solve the "gatehouse" issue gameplay/UI wise?
    Can units stand both on the top of the gatehouse, and in the gateway?

^ Top  
  18. V_K Arcane

V_K
    A far better example of stick figure success would be Kingdom of Loathing (100k to 150k active online players in its heyday) and its single-player sequel West of Loathing (200k to 500k copies sold according to SteamDB). Both games look like this:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    So right now, the gatehouse is purely decorative. There are official wall hexes that give defensive and ranged bonuses. And there are buffer hexes that flying units can cross, but no one can stand on. And then there's the gatehouse that right now just acts like any plain ground hex.

[​IMG]
    I got the idea for this castle layout from Age of Wonders III, which I recently picked up free on Humble and decided to give it a try. When you attack a city in Age of Wonders, there's a kind of a buffer hex in front of the wall hexes where the defenders stand. You can destroy the blocking buffer hex, and then move onto it, and attack the defenders from there.

I would like to add some places behind the gate, where the defender can put ranged units on top of the wall, and maybe even melee units under the wall. But that's a lot more work that I'm not ready to do just yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. vdweller Arcane Developer

vdweller
    Bros how do we translate in Portuguese (Br)

^ Top  
  21. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Let's make this thread a bit more prestigious with a true Supreme Gentleman image.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• M'lady x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Also sent a PM with my paypal account. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    the knight dude inside the gray box is my first draft that I'm somewhat happy with, but I figured I'd post something showing the progress too (from posed spear-chucker to arthurian knight). the green dude was initially just a size test and I'm not very happy with it.
    the color-boxes shown contain the palette I'm restricting myself to.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    I wonder if Steam would let me use this as menu art? Better question: where should I place the menu option bars? (I was thinking bottom right)

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  25. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The menu should be up and somewhat to the left from center, assuming it's small enough to fit into the space that's entirely background.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)