Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by 20 Eyes, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The menu should be up and somewhat to the left from center, assuming it's small enough to fit into the space that's entirely background.

^ Top  
  2. pat Educated

pat
    Two-weapon fighting was a nightmare which seems finished but I just know that there is a problem lurking and waiting to force me to rewrite it all over again

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Almost done with the side project. Will most likely release it in August and switch to DG2 once and for all.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    A new classic.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Something really good can come from this, however, that will require some great execution.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Just add three-dimensional spinners. :troll:

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I'm getting a panic attack just by looking at the video! :argh:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    That looks great! Could be a cyberspace dungeon crawler.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    I've been thinking of something like that or something closer to how Descent RPG would look around the time I was wrapping up DG1. Cyberspace stuff and small spaceships don't require much animation to pull off, which is a big plus for me and my budget.
    The only problem I see right now is pathfinding (unless we do Wizardry-style combat), but I'd like to do some research while doing DG2 to see if it can be done in an efficient manner.

In any case, it's an idea worth pursuing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yes, and not just for the enemies.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf

Playing around with horizontal music sequencing. Should be useful if I decide to use dynamic music in any future projects.
    Just need to add subsongs/variable pattern size and variations of music patterns to make repetitive music sound not too repetitive.
    :positive:

• incline incline x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bad Sector Savant

Bad Sector
    Looks (well, sounds) good. I had experimented at the past with a node-based sequencing system where each node represented a function with a single left-side connector and several right-side connectors and a single node as the currently "active" one. A "play waveform" function would play a sound and the function would always evaluate to true, a "random" function would pick random right-side nodes (functions) until one evaluates to true at which point it becomes the active one, a "flagcheck" function would check a flag if it was set (flags were set globally to the graph, the idea was that a graph would be a system by itself to be sent messages from the game) and if it is set evaluate the first right-side node (if any) or evaluate to false and a "setflag" would change the value of a flag and evaluate the first right-side node (if any, otherwise evaluate to true), essentially a pass-through node.

It was fun to set it up, actually i used a generic node editor i had written (originally made when i wanted to try out decision graphs, hence the whole "function that evaluates to true to indicate the next active node", but i abandoned that idea since it was easier to just write out the scripts manually).

Sadly it didn't help me much since it turns out "smart" tools cannot hide the fact i have no idea about music composition :-P. It is one of those things i'd like to find the interest in learning at some point...

EDIT: It looked like this:

[​IMG]

This is a "remake" though as i didn't keep the original script and code around (or i did but it is in one of the many archives with helpful names such as "code-backup-laptop-3.7z" in my external hard drive :-P). It was a prototype though and should be fairly easy to replicate (writing about it makes me want to make a new and better one, but i'm certain the moment i try to "test" it, i'll lose all hope :-P).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Nearly 20 years ago I saw a node-based music generator. I had never seen anything like it and I really wanted to try it out later. I tried Googling it later (or maybe I was still using Yahoo or Jeeves or whatever at the time), but I didn't even know enough of the terminology to ever find it again. Now if I Google "node based music generator" I find a bunch of stuff. I'd love to try some of them out some time, but I've got too much other stuff to do, including finishing this game that has taken years longer than I thought it would.

zwanzig_zwoelf that looks great. I would get hopeless lost within 10 seconds. And now I'm thinking of playing Descent on my old 486. That was a great game. Spaceships flying through a 3D dungeon. Totally unrelated to the "Descent RPG" that showed up when I Googled it.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)