Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by 20 Eyes, Feb 10, 2012.

1. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Prepare yourself, boyim.

• incline incline x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Viata Arcane

Viata
    So, planning to make a "Das/Der/Die Geister" series?

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    I have enough ideas to make a few more games in Der Geist setting, and DGT provides a very solid foundation for bigger and more complex scenarios.

That said, I'd like to try something different to avoid typecasting and going down the Call of Duty path, and I happen to have quite a few ideas on that front as well. :positive:

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    I have been working on a new project and would like to announce it. I don't have anything playable yet, so I am holding off making a thread for the time being. It is being made in ORK Framework for Unity and I plan to use the same people as I did for the assets in Theseus.

Siege of Plataea

What is this game?

The Siege of Plataea is a CRPG set in Greece during the early stages of the Peloponnesian War. The goal is to have real-time exploration and turn-based combat. Party mechanics will also be included. It is extremely important to me that the game be faithful to the primary source material and bring the old texts to life with meaningful C&C. It would be better that this game not exist at all than that it make a mockery of the period.

What happened at Plataea? Why set the game there?

Plataea is a town in Boeotia, which is the region immediately north/north-west of Attica (Athens). As the Peloponnesian War was starting to break out, Thebes (the most powerful city in Boeotia) conducted a surprise raid on Plataea and seized the town.

Despite initially submitting, the Plataeans soon organised secretly by digging holes through the walls of their houses and gathering together. They then launched a night-time counter-attack against the occupying force. The urban warfare ended with almost every Theban dead or captured.

Putting aside the political/diplomatic details, the captured Thebans were ultimately executed en masse. When general war broke out shortly afterwards, Plataea found itself in a very bad position - it was a land-locked Athenian ally stuck in Boeotia, and Thebes was a major Spartan ally. Sparta initially offered Plataea terms of neutrality, but Plataea refused and was placed under siege. Before the siege began, however, Plataea evacuated most non-combatants, and admitted a force that was sent from Athens.

The siege itself was a prolonged affair. Sparta and her allies ultimately enclosed the town within a double-wall fortification (like we later see at Syracuse and with Julius Caesar at Alesia). A large number of battles took place, and ultimately Plataea was starved out and surrendered. Those Plataeans who had not previously escaped were executed following a brief trial. The town was essentially destroyed and the region used for other purposes, while many of the surviving Plataeans found a new home at Athens.

This is the perfect setting for a number of reasons. First, although the Peloponnesian War is a popular and rich subject, there are only a handful of games with this setting. Second, a prolonged siege provides plenty of opportunity for combat and intrigue. Further, because Plataea admitted a force from Athens, and the besieging force itself was from a number of different cities, I have freedom to include a very broad cast of characters. On a practical level, staging a game during a siege means that I can cut down on the number of locations, too. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for me to allow the player to explore the entire Hellenic world during this period. However, a siege is narrow enough that I can provide a great deal of detail without getting burnt out or over budget and turning the project into vapourware.

What makes this game special?

- As with Theseus: Journey to Athens, this game will be strongly rooted in the primary source material. The theme is more than skin-deep; this game should make you want to pick the classics up again and reread them. To improve on Theseus, this game should include tool-tips or some other method of easily providing citations and other helpful information.

- Strong Choice & Consequence gameplay. As seen in Theseus, the player's decisions will have an impact on how the story progresses. A protracted siege provides a number of opportunities for player input. From day-to-day decisions of how to conduct raids on enemy siegeworks, to greater decisions such as whether to enter a conspiracy to surrender the town.

- Unique character development/skills system. "Magic" and other abilities will be rooted in pre-socratic philosophy, poetry, and religion. You could be a fighter whose constitution is buffed by learning a few lines of Tyrtaeus, or a more intellectual sort who gains some power over the elements by studying Empedokles.

- Fresh turn-based combat scenarios that strongly reflect the siege theme. A long siege provides all sorts of combat possibilities. For example, the player might find himself engaging in tunnel warfare as the enemy attempts to undermine the town wall. Or you can join an ad hoc fire brigade and try to stop the enemy from burning the town to ash.

Progress -

This game is still in the planning and early development stage. I do not have a working demo to share with you, or sufficient assets or code to make a meaningful video. I would still like to share something, though, so here is an example of a character that I am currently working on:

Eurymachus, Son of Leontiades

[​IMG]

I would like to point out a few things:

- The game will record the ethnicity and polis of each character. Almost all characters will be Hellenes, of which there are four main ethnic groups - Dorian, Ionian, Aeolian, and Achaean.

The ethnicity of the character is important in this game because it was important to the ancient Hellenes. The differences between the ethnicities or races are frequently referenced in classical texts and must therefore have certain in-game consequences. I plan to use tooltips or some other manner of explaining terms like "Boeotarch" to the player. That way the text can be cleaner while still providing a wealth of definitions and background information.

- The portrait was produced by the same artist who worked on Theseus. This style is not set in stone; the artist was also working on making the portrait appear to be an old, faded fresco. I hope to use the same artist to produce all the assets for this game, too.

Finally, Theseus is still on sale for half price (sale ends 1/2/20). Depending how this new project goes and how much I like working with ORK Framework, I might try converting Theseus to the new engine (as a new product, because I would need to pay for a whole new set of 3d assets). I think that would be a big and worthwhile improvement. At any rate, I will continue to patch the current version and include more content/C&C as time progresses.

Happy New Year

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Brofist x 12
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For the love of God, CRPG, not CRPG game.

Other than that, good luck. Bought Thesseus during this sale.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    I have edited the post and now there is no record at all of my mistake, so I hereby deny it ever happened.

• Funny x 5
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Just goes to show people don't even know what G in CRPG means.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    I think this is a really great choice for a setting. It's an event that had big repercussions for the whole country on the one hand. On the other, it's neighbors fighting people from literally the next town down the road. And there's enough primary source material on it to build a game on but not so much that it would limit your creativity.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Will playing as a Theban/Spartan infiltrator be an option?

^ Top  
  10. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    The player character is a Plataean citizen, but you can become an "inside man" who helps the Peloponnesian League and try to facilitate a surrender or otherwise admit the besiegers. You are definitely not going to be railroaded into playing as a pro-Athenian partisan. Thankfully, Thucydides provides some inspiration for this plot line: later in the siege the Spartans did not want to conquer Plataea by force because if the Plataeans willingly came over/surrendered then Sparta might not need to give up the town during peace negotiations. If the player destroys the grain supplies and/or assassinates certain leaders within the town, I imagine the Peloponnesian League would be very thankful.

Of course, I have not written out the entire story or all the quests and variables, but there is no way I am going to make a game that lacks C&C. I hate games where I am railroaded into serving a particular side.

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    I don't really find the idea of playing a traitor appealing though. A traitor and a spy/infiltrator are worlds apart.

^ Top  
  12. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Well, I don't want to make the player feel like a lowly person in this story-line. Rather, I want to give the player opportunities to declare himself pro-oligarchy/pro-Sparta, or pro-Boeotian Federation, and then maintain the friendships and/or communication during the siege and ultimately help Sparta and the allies succeed (while avoiding the absolute destruction of Plataea, which is what happened in reality). I don't think it's too difficult to make the Spartans appealing. They tried to reach a compromise early on, and fundamentally speaking they are fighting to liberate the Hellenes from Athenian Imperialism (or so they say). I can even make the Thebans treat the player well if, for example, the player somehow stops the town from executing all the Theban prisoners. Fundamentally, though, I have not considered making the PC anything other than a Plataean by birth, so it is difficult to avoid the label "traitor" except by making him sympathetic to oligarchy or some sort of "Boeotian Federation" nationalist.

Anyway, I do intend to have an option for the player to be a lowly person. Specifically, conspiring with a few others to abandon their post and escape quietly, taking supplies and disappearing through a tunnel or other prison-break tier method.

^ Top  
  13. The Avatar Learned

The Avatar
    Made a dungeon and some blobber style movement that transitions to turn based combat on a grid.

[​IMG]

Now I'm going to work on implementing the Pathfinder 2 OGC rules.

• Brofist x 15
    • incline x 4
    • nice x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    The Avatar Very cool, but it might give your players an unintended way of mapping out the dungeon and getting their bearings. I know this is still very early in development, but maybe fog of war would be something for you to keep in mind so the players don't get to see too much when they go into combat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    Implemented the inventory system over the last two days. Way easier than I expected, but I'm not including any complicated features like item splitting/stacking and sorting by type.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hot diggity

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Game dev education site 3D Buzz closes its doors, released all of its content for free: https://www.3dbuzz.com/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bad Sector Savant Patron

Bad Sector
    Very useful find! These seem to be all videos which IMO aren't the best format for programming tutorials, but for the art bits they should be useful since when writing art tutorials, people sometimes forget to mention important steps :-/

As i'm a bit of a data hoarder, i started downloading them all :-P. According to other people who already downloaded them, the entire archive is around 205GB. Sadly my external HDD is full (only ~60GB left), so i'll probably put them on an older one until i buy a larger HDD (i'm waiting for 16TB prices to drop). With my current slow connection it'll take 3-4 days though, but i put the art theory stuff (those i'm mostly interested about) at the top of the download list and the programming stuff (those i'm least interested since i know programming) at the end. Judging from comments i saw on Reddit, these archives will most likely find their way on archive.org, though when possible i prefer primary sources (and archive.org's download servers tend to be *very* slow :-P).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Thanks, I'll download some which seem important to me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. paperjack Literate

paperjack
    I'm gearing up to officially release my first *real* game, called Dumbgeons. Guess what it'll be about.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Catacombs Arbiter Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    How so? I downloaded the C++ videos but haven't watched them yet.

^ Top  
  22. The Avatar Learned

The Avatar
    Fixed!
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Personally, I think text is the best format for programming tutorials. You can read the code and the explanation at your own speed and copy it into your own code if desired, and you can look back quickly if you need to read it again. A video doesn't really add anything, unless you're demonstrating a very specific kind of code (like maybe HLSL) where the results need to be seen in order to be understood.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bad Sector Savant Patron

Bad Sector
    Programming is mainly done in text form so it is faster to also read the tutorial in text form with the code interspersed with the explanation (so, e.g., no need to fuss with the time controls to re-watch the last 5-6 seconds in case you misheard something - it is also harder to misinterpret something written than something you read - and editing text is much easier than editing video, so less chances for mistakes).

This of course does not apply for programming tasks and environments where there is a significant visual element. For example while it is possible to write a tutorial for writing a GUI-heavy application in Lazarus, doing it as a video would be better. Similarly, when trying to explain graphics algorithms it can be much better to visualize them in a video than in something static like an image (or, god forbid, ASCII art... like some ancient tutorials i was reading back in the 90s :-P). And i can't really imagine making a tutorial for something like Smalltalk in anything *other* than video :-P.

But for many tasks, text is generally easier/faster and even a game has a lot of non-visual elements where text would fit just fine.

Of course if you are making a series (especially on a site where your content is primarily in video form) where you'll have some parts be in video form (like pretty much most things related to graphics, behavior/AI, animation, etc) then it makes sense to have everything in video form for the sake of consistency.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Catacombs Arbiter Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Thanks, Bad Sector and Nathaniel3W. I've read a good share of language books and agree about the pace. I also enjoy seeing ideas are visualized in a video. Pointers in C, for example, finally clicked for me after watching someone drew it (and practicing memory management for days).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)