Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Competition Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by DarkUnderlord, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Peter Arcane

Peter
    Cleve's bunker sound cool, but I'm wondering if the idea isn't too big and complex. From my understanding, we can hope to get a little easter egg in there, whereas you guys are basically starting to design a dungeon.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This, basically. I like the idea, but isn't a whole bunker filled with NPCs a bit too much to ask for? We aren't even in it for $10,000, only for $5,000. A shrine instead of just a statue is already Fargo being generous.

^ Top  
  3. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Are you sure the shrine thing in Fargo's reply wasn't just a mistake or oversight? He's probably been firing off emails and replies non-stop since the kickstarter launched. The way it's worded makes me think he really meant the statue instead of shrine at the 5k level, not that it makes a huge difference.

I can't say I'm donating toward the Codex statue myself, but I'm putting my money toward the boxed copy of the game itself. This is a cool project, though. I look forward to seeing the Codex thing in-game, whatever it ends up being.

^ Top  
  4. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Well, my idea was a small bunker, just a couple of rooms, filled with a dead neanderthal and some items referencing the codex, as well as a cache of lootable supplies. Cleve was never going to make a Fallout style vault, was he?

(BTW, Cleve seems to have abandoned the neanderthal ├╝bermensch angle, on his blog he's now talking about "melonheads" with superior intelligence that pre-date human civilization. The lulz never ends)

^ Top  
  5. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    A demented tranny NPC companion, I suspect.

^ Top  
  6. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Personally I don't think so. Sure, we'll clarify that when the time comes, and a statue would be good too. But he specifically underscored, and not just once, that we're among the core fans and it's in his best interest and would be his pleasure to please us. :P

^ Top  
  7. Ion Flux Savant

Ion Flux
    Project: Eternity
    Shhhh. Don't undermine our delusions of grandeur. You're giving voice to thoughts that I'm actively suppressing at the moment.

^ Top  
  8. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Did my patriotic duty.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    It couldn't hurt to try. If it looks good on paper, there's no reason for Fargo not to go for it other than to be an asshole, and it's harder to do than you might think when you've just been handed a sack of money. :M

^ Top  
  10. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Why would you want Cleve's bunker in the game, the moment you got anywhere close the lucky members of your team would be dead to sniper fire, the rest would be doused in napalm.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. toro Arcane

toro
    Is the gold bars scale stuck at 1,395 USD (28%) cause I don't see any increase.

^ Top  
  12. Peter Arcane

Peter
    :lol:

It's updated manually. Either DU hasn't gotten the chance to update it or (more likely) he's keeping it low to trick us into donating more.

^ Top  
  13. toro Arcane

toro
    Exactly for this reason :P

^ Top  
  14. mugarod Liturgist

mugarod
    Project: Eternity
    Donated 55$ already through the main kickstarter site, but will try to donate some more through codex later on so we can get our glorious statue.

^ Top  
  15. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    DU has to update it manually, so don't expect updates more than once a day. :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. toro Arcane

toro
    Indeed. Turn based.

^ Top  
  17. Mangoviir Novice Patron

Mangoviir
    Wasteland 2
    Codex Shrine tax paid...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    For $5,000 I'd rather see him do a mock up video of the dialog he had with Bethesderp for Hunted:

"We'd like to make it a third-person-over-the-shoulder console shooter!"

"Excuse me?! Uh... I mean, never mind sure that sounds GREAT!"

^ Top  
  19. Marquess Cornwallis Cipher

Marquess Cornwallis
    Contributed. Too bad I don't have the $250 to spare, the idea of a customized Codex troll avatar is just tantalizing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Kthan75 Liturgist

Kthan75
    Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Donated. Let's go, troll statue!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. hiver Guest

hiver
    You dont know who youre dealing with here, son.

Anyway, lets just get to the very basics of the thing as a first point.
    I propose this :

1. Whatever we get it "The Codex" must tell the REAL story of how ITS actually came to be.
    -i think we can all agree on that one-
    2. It must be written using all the most important memes and themes that will be completely undecipherable to ordinary players or those without direct contact with these forums. Except the rest of the bros out there who hate the same things as we do.
    and ultimately it must not mean anything real.
    - i think this is something we can all agree too-

NOW:

3. It must - should be a trap
    -not that kind of trap but a deadly one. but we can get the usual trap - trap into this for teh lulz-
    4. It all can and should be done in simple text that works as a puzzle, of course. Because thats what you get in long lost shrines.
    - i think this is something that might be widely accepted too, at least the text puzzle bit-
    5. It should work in a way that it poses questions to the player and kills him in horrible ways for every wrong answer
    - i think this is generally one everyone will agree on too and it fits with the wasteland violence theme-
    6. Lulz must be a part of it either as a secret energy of power or something else (which ultimately doesnt work)
    - agreed-
    7. It should not be too long and to the "point". Succinct, without any false prolonging.

So, a player will find a shrine. I would prefer if its a random encounter too.
    The first inscription promises revealing all teh secrets of reality and truth about ITS.
    After dying multiple times and being blown into bits, burned and so on the player enters the shrine... possibly being killed inside too, reaches the statue of teh codex and starts the text adventure - revealing the big secret - truth about ITS.
    Every wrong answer kills the player. Answers about QTE, poping moles, real time combat, first person, action, emotional engagement, voice overs, graphics, special effects and all the other things we and the rest of true believers will know about.

How toight all of this will be depends on the input of those better then me and the rest of you.

Alternatively if thats too much, we can go for straight "end" where it simply doesnt work or breaks down before giving any answers. All done in text of course.

Food for thought Codex. Food for thought.
    Im just throwing this out there but ultimately i dont care and whatever you guys decide more or less by majority is fine by me.
    Ill just add some bucks, tomorrow or day after and wont ask, rescinding all possible rewards because im already getting what i want.

^ Top  
  22. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    The game won't even begin development for 6 months so there's plenty of time to figure it out.

^ Top  
  23. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    So around one year of development time will be enough for this game to come to fruition in a satisfactory manner, right? Not getting the cart in front of the mule, but the more successful the game gets, potentially longer it will take to develop, what with the promise of more complex and wider locales. I hope this Codex thing is one of the last things to be put in, maybe should be unlocked to those who name their party members after those among us who contributed.

^ Top  
  24. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    I still think a monocled troll statue called king of codexia, slayer of the popamole would be good. Tragically he died because he forgot to equip the ring. : oldfag:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Peter Arcane

Peter
    I agree. Keep it simple. hiver's idea is way too convoluted and complex for what is a little easter egg.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)