Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie have left inXile

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Colin designed Angel Oracle. Gavin didn't work on Wasteland 2.

Rake

Arcane
As pointed out, the source of this spite is really obvious. It's like how Exitium really, really hated us after he went "legit". It's not the case that we're too "extreme" for them, it's that they have a vested interest in displaying dislike of us.
Exitium? Legit?
Did i miss some drama? :bounce:

Cholo

Arcane
As pointed out, the source of this spite is really obvious. It's like how Exitium really, really hated us after he went "legit". It's not the case that we're too "extreme" for them, it's that they have a vested interest in displaying dislike of us.
Exitium? Legit?
Ya rex won big on a jeopardy game and became an anti gamergate celeb
ap56944257941_custom-3c5acd071f594a0b76a289b3ad79210f1df970b2-s800-c85.jpg

Azarkon

Arcane
Yes, I don't imagine it'd go well for Exitium these days to admit that he was once a regular at the notorious social justice hating community, RPG Codex. It'd certainly affect his writing positions at such news organizations as The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post, among other mainstream hard left circles he's a member of these days.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What happened with Brother None? I remember the guy from back in the day and he was fun to post with?

Went full Fargo Fanboy. Changed his beliefs to fit in with his inXile buddies, and started believing that Fargo could do no wrong, took everything he and the other higher-ups said at face value (e.g. "We're paying for additional Wasteland 2 development solely with our back catalogue sales," a lie according to Monty Markland who claims they dipped into the Tides of Numenera fund), including some conspiracy-minded nonsense about how Infinitron broke an NDA, then edited his post to remove the info, and then removed all record of having edited the post as if it had never happened.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Lol holy shit. I do remember him being a bit of a banner carrier for inExile but I didn't think it was that bad.

Ninjerk

Arcane
MRY I have no doubt whatsoever that CMcC is a thoroughly nice person and very pleasant to work with. I don't think many people even here dispute that.

The trouble is that a thoroughly nice person can't make the kinds of games he's been attempting to make at inXile. Just look at the title of the game. It says "torment."

TORMENT.

Look it up. It's not a nice word. A thoroughly nice person can't make a game about torment. You need someone who's plumbed some dark depths of the soul. If you really don't want to make anyone feel bad, it just doesn't work.

I get the distinct impression that this was one of the fundamental problems with T:ToN. You're all tremendously nice people, one of you runs a freakin' orphanage for crying out loud. That reflects well on you personally, but doesn't make for a game about torment. It might even have adversely affected the development of the game -- I mean, there are some good bits there (not least some parts you wrote), but also a tremendous amount of cruft that should have been shot down in that really extended pre-production period. It's like there wasn't anyone there with the ability to say "this is shit, cut it out and think of something better," even politely couched.

We need a raging alcoholic or heroin junkie, maybe with some war experience (the Afghan/Iraq war vets are about the right age now), who is barely hanging on to sanity.

This is one of the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I guess Chris was pretty tormented in his twenties since he made a great game about Torment.

Also From Software must be full of mentally damaged people if they could create Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Chris Avellone Would you share us your mental state when you made PST? Did you had the darkness in you which is essential to make a Torment game?

Okay, first of all, MCA has said repeatedly that working on Torment took a toll on his health. Also, Dark Souls and Bloodborne are made by Japanese people, who are legendarily fucked up at least since the bomb and maybe before that as well.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I need to read everything before having an opinion on it. I did offer Chris a job in 2015 but he couldn't take it because of the then-current happenings, so obviously I think highly of Chris.

Quantomas

Savant
Sry that i answer just now, but i had to watch the expanse 3.5, since yesterday was Isaac Arthur day with Megatelescopes and therefore i didn't watched it.
These days there is so much stuff that you can't experience it all.

I admit that you make me think about this whole issue and perhaps my expectations and bias were blocking the enjoyment of TToN. If you expect nothing then you can be surprised both in negative and positive way, but if you have too high expectations then you can be only disappointed. Or perhaps your love for sci-fi / fy is blinding you. Either way i cannot make a definite conclusion based on my current position and therefore i need to start again a playthrough this summer of TToN, because the last time i couldn't bring myself to play it to the end.
The Bloom has many highlights, a lot of the more interesting stuff you only find if you put some effort into it, and its plot is staged well and twists neatly. The following mind labyrinth part though feels rushed because it is staged poorly.

There are a couple of things to say about the companions. Stay away from Erritis. I wondered whether he was written by an amateurish junior writer and was surprised to learn that this was MCA's work. Now that we have his account that he was leased to InXile for debt service, it explains a lot. I also didn't choose Tybir. Matkina is cool though, and I travelled with Aligern and Rhin, but I heard good things of Callistege as well.

The Codex obelisk in the Underbelly sucks. Ignore.

If you find a merecaster that gives you a choice between going through a dungeon and distorted reality in the endless battle, avoid the latter. It's too generic. But that is the only part in all the meres that I found lacking.

Make sure that you visit the space station in the prologue.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Regarding Rex, he left the SJWsphere and crossed the aisle to GG upon sensing a change in the wind back in 2016, leaking confirming CON leaks in the process. He contributed to Louise Mensch's short-lived Heat Street before migrating to Milo's site Dangerous and Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller, even appearing on the latter's show briefly to discuss antifa. It was funny seeing his gamerchair and headset juxtaposed to the Fox studio. https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/884947638696660992

Nowadays he spends most of his time tweeting/writing about the cultural issue du jour while pretending to be a reasonable, well-adjusted adult who holds conservative values so that his moralizing remains en vogue as the pendulum shifts.

Athos

Arcane
Yes, I don't imagine it'd go well for Exitium these days to admit that he was once a regular at the notorious social justice hating community, RPG Codex. It'd certainly affect his writing positions at such news organizations as The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post, among other mainstream hard left circles he's a member of these days.
It's funny because now he is a pro-GG shitlord (at least he was recently, I don't know if he flip-flopped again).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, you did disappear quite soon after Fargo's ominous "what are you doing, Monty?" so you can't blame a bro for being worried.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Well, you did disappear quite soon after Fargo's ominous "what are you doing, Monty?" so you can't blame a bro for being worried.

Thank you bro.

I enjoy speaking with Fargo.

I killed Faran Brygo's hitmen with my bare hands on the desert out near 29 Palms

I maintain my viewpoint that employing disoriented social justice warriors as writers is a bad business move. And this statement will be proven true. We will do something to reform this aspect of the game industry.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Exitium? Legit?

A48kYy8.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom