Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Combat Demo Released

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Those of you who experienced it - what are your desktop resolutions? How many monitors do you use? Is DPI scaling on? (Right-click the desktop -> Display Settings -> "Change the size of text, apps and other items" or "Advanced scaling settings" below). If you're running other OS than Win10, please let me know too.

Deleted Member 22431

Those of you who experienced it - what are your desktop resolutions? How many monitors do you use? Is DPI scaling on? (Right-click the desktop -> Display Settings -> "Change the size of text, apps and other items" or "Advanced scaling settings" below). If you're running other OS than Win10, please let me know too.

1366x768

Windows 7

The rest I will have to look later.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Win10. Native res at 1080p, had to settle down at 768 in lowest settings to run the game since I've got the shittiest integrated gpu imaginable. Got my text scaling set at 150%. Using the laptop's monitor (13.3").

With that being said, I love how loading times are non-existent. Top notch work my dudes.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
installed, 36% chance to hit with smg from like 3 meters away, uninstalled

the encounter literally ended like this naked gun scene with me and my opponent shooting at each other from different sides of the same cover and it still took 4-5 rounds to finish. I didn't see an option to throw my smg at him after I ran out of bullets so i had to machete him to death but that was the only difference

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Oh boy.
"I can't handle small numbers" -whining has begun.

AxGQmU2.jpg

"You just can't handle a strong, independent woman like me!" *sucks her teeth*

Black Angel

Arcane
The game has graze chance, meaning you still have a chance to deal some damage regardless of whether or not you roll the actual THC.

But as a preemptive reply to your next reply, here
bethestard.png

Git gud, scrublord.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The game has graze chance, meaning you still have a chance to deal some damage regardless of whether or not you roll the actual THC.

But as a preemptive reply to your next reply, here
bethestard.png

Git gud, scrublord.
Worse, it's
11841.jpg

lukaszek you might have one of yours here.

Deleted Member 22431

The problem is that you are using a gun for close contact from three meters away hiding behind a cover that lowers your THC. The game provides you with plenty of APs to get close and unload your weapon on the dude. You didn't. You went for cover and use the smg as it was a riffle. That what was you did it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadenuat

Arcane
the gun ranges will seem incredibly odd for anyone who played any tactical rpg ever. just treat it as AoD with guns.

also some of the early weapons are trash (boltgun for example).

in my opinion, people would like demo more if they would start with Tier 2 weapons with all the unique firing modes and stats.

Deleted Member 22431

in my opinion, people would like demo more if they would start with Tier 2 weapons with all the unique firing modes and stats.
They would beat the first guy by random luck only to be pulverized in the second fight.

Essegi

Cipher
In the first fight it's easier to win than to be hit, it's like a tutorial.
The second already requires some decent moving/positioning, tho.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The problem is that you are using a gun for close contact from three meters away hiding behind a cover that lowers your THC. The game provides you with plenty of APs to get close and unload your weapon on the dude. You didn't. You went for cover and use the smg as it was a riffle. That what was you did it wrong.
One of the keys of understanding VD (though his mind may have changed in the past eight years)

Generally, I'd say that 20% is too low, unless you're fighting someone/something who's way out of your range, and 90% is too much, unless you're fighting someone/something far below your level.

I think that 70% is the sweet spot.

My thoughts on 70%:
9fa.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

The 36% was before cover, it was lower after, but I didn't want to stand uncovered with a shit weapon that can't hit anything. i probably should've switched to machete right away and just eat a bullet or two since that's what I ended up doing anyway but I thought "Vince made this, surely charging a guy with a gun when all you have is a machete is a terrible idea."

Nope, BIS made this 20 years ago and nobody thought it was a good idea to improve what was arguably the most ridiculous element of Fallout.

Deleted Member 22431

The 36% was before cover, it was lower after, but I didn't want to stand uncovered with a shit weapon that can't hit anything. i probably should've switched to machete right away.
If you get one block from the guy, your chances would be higher. Each step counts. If you kill your enemy in two turns it doesn't matter that you have no cover. You could also get close, shoot and run back to cover. The game is more flexible than you think. You are afraid of trying different things and making a rushed judgment.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
The 36% was before cover, it was lower after, but I didn't want to stand uncovered with a shit weapon that can't hit anything. i probably should've switched to machete right away.
If you get one block from the guy, your chances would be higher. Each step counts. If you kill your enemy in two turns it doesn't matter that you have no cover. You could also get close, shoot and run back to cover. The game is more flexible than you think. You are afraid of trying different things and making a rushed judgment.

Bruh I beat him, the issue isn't that I couldn't figure out what to do, it's that I (reasonably, IMO) thought an SMG would have a decent change to hit from a few feet away and it turns out I was playing a stormtrooper simulator. If I wanted to experience what it's like to be a half-blind demented spacefaring geriatric I'd just watch the new Picard series.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
it's that I (reasonably, IMO) thought an SMG would have a decent change to hit from a few feet away and it turns out I was playing a stormtrooper simulator.
And having skill 2 had nothing to do with this at all.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/public_information/RAND_FirearmEvaluation.pdf

As has been reported nationally, police officers often miss their targets (Morrison, • 2006, p. 332). The NYPD reports hit-rate statistics both for officers involved in a gunfight and for officers who shoot at subjects who do not return fire. Between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate was 18 percent for gunfights. Between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate in situations in which fire was not returned was 30 percent. In 2006, the hit rate against subjects who did not return fire was 27 percent.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
it's that I (reasonably, IMO) thought an SMG would have a decent change to hit from a few feet away and it turns out I was playing a stormtrooper simulator.
And having skill 2 had nothing to do with this at all.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/public_information/RAND_FirearmEvaluation.pdf

As has been reported nationally, police officers often miss their targets (Morrison, • 2006, p. 332). The NYPD reports hit-rate statistics both for officers involved in a gunfight and for officers who shoot at subjects who do not return fire. Between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate was 18 percent for gunfights. Between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate in situations in which fire was not returned was 30 percent. In 2006, the hit rate against subjects who did not return fire was 27 percent.

That's great but average cop accuracy from unspecified range with a handgun (or possibly, a shotgun) has no bearing on hitting a guy from a few feet away with an smg.

This nonsense is still in the game because "that's how Fallout did it". C'mon, it's 2020!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's great but average cop accuracy from unspecified range with a handgun (or possibly, a shotgun) has no bearing on hitting a guy from a few feet away with an smg.

This nonsense is still in the game because "that's how Fallout did it". C'mon, it's 2020!
Have I ever told you that I once missed a mudcrab with my sword? The fucking thing was right there and yet I missed it. To this day I don't know what sorcery it was.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom