Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Combat Demo Released

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat aside, some minor feedback on other elements:

*Graphics are great. Hopefully they prove to be a major selling point and vince gets bullied into removing thc ( :troll: ), finally bringing iron studios in line with their biowarean big brothers.

*The intro questions writing reads like fanfiction. Esp the Protectors and Church of whatever ones. I mean, maybe sneering condescension was the point but I thought Vince was above that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
That's great but average cop accuracy from unspecified range with a handgun (or possibly, a shotgun) has no bearing on hitting a guy from a few feet away with an smg.

This nonsense is still in the game because "that's how Fallout did it". C'mon, it's 2020!
Have I ever told you that I once missed a mudcrab with my sword? The fucking thing was right there and yet I missed it. To this day I don't know what sorcery it was.

Denial is the first stage of grief.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Used to play a lot of paintball and the likes, and there is such a thing as being too close to be able to hit accurately. I've actually found myself on that situation when you've got someone just on the other side of your cover and more often than not it's better to wait for backup than waste ammo. You can't shoot much when you risk getting a bullet to your forehead the moment you raise it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Used to play a lot of paintball and the likes, and there is such a thing as being too close to be able to hit accurately. I've actually found myself on that situation when you've got someone just on the other side of your cover and more often than not it's better to wait for backup than waste ammo. You can't shoot much when you risk getting a bullet to your forehead the moment you raise it.

he was a few feet away, too far to realistically melee (although he did run past me, but I just chalk that up to the fact that non-blob turn based is an inferior system to every other possible option) but more than close enough to die when i pull the trigger. we only ended up going behind covers precisely because the system is extremely forgiving of nonsense. faster opponent with smg a few feet away? sure, you can run right past him and hide under cover.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I can't wait to play a game so rich in lore but so desolate in terms of NPCs. A whole blossoming HABITAT? Here is five NPCs to talk to, with three telling you to fuck off.
First, it's a combat demo designed to test the combat mechanics (see how people play, etc), not a full demo. Second, it's not the Habitat bit a small part of the container city in one of the cargo holds.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I can't wait to play a game so rich in lore but so desolate in terms of NPCs. A whole blossoming HABITAT? Here is five NPCs to talk to, with three telling you to fuck off.
First, it's a combat demo designed to test the combat mechanics (see how people play, etc), not a full demo. Second, it's not the Habitat bit a small part of the container city in one of the cargo holds.

Is this a promise that the city-like will feel city-like?

Zyondyne

Learned
Why is that "floating character movement" feel AOD had still around? From what I understood, Torque 3D is no longer used, but Unreal Engine 4.

Aren't the animations completed, is this how it's supposed to feel or is my crappy PC just crappy?

Zyondyne

Learned
Nothing about graphics at all. Graphics and art style are actually okay. It's actually more of a performance issue (it looks like one, at least). Blamed it on the old Torque 3D while playing AOD - that engine sure wasn't conceived with optimization in mind. Camera movement also feels somehow delayed. But now with Unreal Engine 4, I just can't explain it.

Would just blame it all on the early stage of development, but since AOD also had the same problem, I was just curious if the camera/character movement felt like that for anybody else.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Nothing about graphics at all. Graphics and art style are actually okay. It's actually more of a performance issue (it looks like one, at least). Blamed it on the old Torque 3D while playing AOD - that engine sure wasn't conceived with optimization in mind. Camera movement also feels somehow delayed. But now with Unreal Engine 4, I just can't explain it.

I doubt we'll be redoing movement animations. But I also see no problem with it, so not sure what to say here. The animations are completely different from AoD's, animation system is different too (UE's AnimGraph), the physical movement (as changing position in 3D space) is handled by UE's character movement component. Literally nothing was transferred from AoD in this regard. So if you can pinpoint what exactly feels wrong about movement, maybe I can look into it.

Regarding the camera, the initial acceleration is intentional. When panning starts with constant speed, it feels like it suddenly jerks into that direction and it's hard to do precise short-distance moves.

Raapys

Arcane
Game looks beautiful, very atmospheric.

You can probably increase the initial character acceleration a bit with good effect, and maybe add some small deceleration period to the camera instead of stopping the panning abruptly; camera feels rather heavy at the moment. 120hz frame limit option should be in.

Deleted Member 22431

I hope ITS is at least giving you a reacharound for all your hard work on this forum.
That's like saying: I hope Dark Underlord is giving everyone some moneys for all the nitpicking and discussions about obscure games. You do this because you like it.

Gulnar

Scholar
Has anyone managed to win the fight against the bounty hunter, the one against the three guys one of which has what i think is a energy pistol? It's the fifth, i belive.

Anyway, the combat system looks good. Maybe there's a bit too big chance to be splatted on the first turn (happened three times against the aformentioned energy pistol guy...) but maybe it's because my constitution isn't so great. Ran a pistol fighter (died against the three guys with a clocking device, so i restarted) and a rifle/blade guy (who got killed multiple times by the bounty hunter and his entourage).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Has anyone managed to win the fight against the bounty hunter, the one against the three guys one of which has what i think is a energy pistol? It's the fifth, i belive.

Use gadgets, grenades especially. Any of them is great. Gas will make them weaker as they have no protection. Smoke to be harder to hit (remember to buy good googles for thermal vision) and flashbang to make them much easier to hit.

Anyway, the combat system looks good. Maybe there's a bit too big chance to be splatted on the first turn (happened three times against the aformentioned energy pistol guy...) but maybe it's because my constitution isn't so great. Ran a pistol fighter (died against the three guys with a clocking device, so i restarted) and a rifle/blade guy (who got killed multiple times by the bounty hunter and his entourage).

Did you try the new positions in the new build? Also, remember that you can activate gadgets in the preparation phase, that will give you quite a bit of protection if your initiative isn't great.

Momock

Augur

Would just blame it all on the early stage of development, but since AOD also had the same problem, I was just curious if the camera/character movement felt like that for anybody else.
I don't have this problem and my PC is 6 years old.

Deleted Member 22431

Follow this thread for more information.

[
Regarding the camera, the initial acceleration is intentional. When panning starts with constant speed, it feels like it suddenly jerks into that direction and it's hard to do precise short-distance moves.
It really didn't feel good. First it moves too slowly, then too fast. How about an option to turn it off?

Deleted Member 22431

Graphixx are way too good...GIVE ME BACK TORQUE, DAMNIT!:argh:
It's all part of their plan. Next they will be sold to Microsoft for a bunch of money and do a soulless shooter.

Edit: It's not heresy, Nick. Don't you lie to me. I know your type. Your guys are just like Obsidian or worse.

:shitposting:

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom