Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #3: Development Timetable, Systems Changes

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm kinda worried increase by use will become very limiting. Didn't pick any of the alchemy options in the first settlement? GG, you're stuck on alchemy 1 the entire game.

It won't be done in a linear manner. There will be skill books that give you learning points, low-level opportunities to practice your skills, etc. While maxing a skill will require dedication, developing a skill to a decent level will be doable even if you skip half of the options.

Plus failing later checks still give learning points, as was said before.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm kinda worried increase by use will become very limiting. Didn't pick any of the alchemy options in the first settlement? GG, you're stuck on alchemy 1 the entire game.

It won't be done in a linear manner. There will be skill books that give you learning points, low-level opportunities to practice your skills, etc. While maxing a skill will require dedication, developing a skill to a decent level will be doable even if you skip half of the options.

Plus failing later checks still give learning points, as was said before.
I see. I guess time first beta will tell.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's an inherent problem with turn based combat and you either need to design the combat and encounters so I'm not just watching NPCs take their turns for 95% of the battle.

Yep. To be perfectly honest, the only part that I thought was too slow was the Kemnebi fight. Too many NPCs taking turns and you are just watching. With the new game you control a party, so that will not be a problem.

orcinator

Liturgist
It's an inherent problem with turn based combat and you either need to design the combat and encounters so I'm not just watching NPCs take their turns for 95% of the battle.

Yep. To be perfectly honest, the only part that I thought was too slow was the Kemnebi fight. Too many NPCs taking turns and you are just watching.

I didn't find any of the other group fights to be much better, only that they were more likely to require player participation, but the amount of participation required depended almost entirely on RNG.

With the new game you control a party, so that will not be a problem.

It won't have fights where you're watching NPCs wail on each other for 95% of the duration, but the fact that the devs thought that such fights were a good idea gives me little faith in their capability to avoid the myriad other ways in which TB combat can be especially tedious. Not that I trust them to not have such fights in the first place, gotta have those epic battles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom