Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Colony Ship RPG Update #4

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Infinitron, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7181.msg145450/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. AbounI Arcane Patron

AbounI
    Vault Dweller has added the first concept screen

[​IMG]

Freemen camp? (according to the URL)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kwota Educated

Kwota
    I really don't know how to feel about freight containers onboard a generation ship. If the game took place on a merchant ship turned rogue - I''m all the way behind it.

Nevertheless that pic gives that old fallout vibe, I really wanna see some character artwork now.

^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's a retrofitted cargo ship in the best traditions of colonizing distant worlds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower

^ Top  
  5. Kwota Educated

Kwota
    Sure, where's bulk cargo in that shot?

cisterns for fossil fuels, grains, chemicals and ores? I do think that those supplies would find their way on cargo ship turned generational one.

but don't mind me, just throwing my 2 cents on what I see.

^ Top  
  6. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    A base of operations?

:dance:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    You can't move the device until it's fully assembled, so you'll have to protect it and secure the area.

^ Top  
  8. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    The device will be alien in origin, maybe retro engineered, the colony ship was secretly a government op to take the device to a certain planet, maybe back to the home of the aliens who left it on earth.

^ Top  
  9. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    It's more about what's cool than what's realistic, same way as Fallout or AoD.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Looks kinda like the drop zone.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's one of many cargo holds (even today's cargo ships have several holds, usually 4-8, so a space ship would have a lot more). I doubt they would be transporting cisterns of fossil fuels (I assume we'll have portable reactors 500 years from now), considering that the voyage would take hundreds of years, same goes for the ores. Chemicals? Maybe. The way I see it, the colony would need building materials, agricultural and mining equipment (why care ores across the galaxy when you can extract them on arrival - I assume both the planet and the landing site would be chosen accordingly), industrial base to expand, build vehicles, etc, defensive equipment, life support systems to provide the colonists with everything they need before they start producing it on their own, seeds and plants (which wouldn't be stored in the cargo holds), etc.

Back to the ship, the scavengers who want a base of operations would pick a cargo hold the most suitable to their needs and easiest to convert into a "town". They won't pick the one with cisterns and chemicals, but the one with containers and supplies that could be put to use right away. They'd use the cranes (not shown but you'll see them in-game) to move the containers around to build something resembling a town.

^ Top  
  12. ThisNameIsFree Learned

ThisNameIsFree
    How many people on ship?
    How about cryogenic tech for true elite?
    I doubt planet colonizing possible without sending millions... With 10k or so one random epidemic from mutated virus can wipe everyone.
    If voyage take hundreds of years they need prepare low tech as well since degradation inevitable.
    Another thing - really big spaceships don't meant to land on planets with atmosphere - it's too costly, especially for cheap transport. They meant stay in space while goods get transported with smaller aerodynamic spaceships.
    Looking at setting society here can be quite messed up (i wonder if they gonna throw not working individuals into space/meatgrinder):incline:

^ Top  
  13. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Logistically it makes sense to send multiple smaller colony ships rather than one huge ass ship. For the same reason you mentioned: One event is all it takes to wipe out millions. Besides, the first expedition anywhere new is bound to kill a fuck ton of people anyhow. Just look at how N. America was settled. Many colonies failed at first before getting used to the land and learning how to harvest its resources.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ThisNameIsFree Learned

ThisNameIsFree
    So it's one huge as ship or first from the many? Setting looking like it's some type hit or miss mission with one big ship. Also it's possible to make multiple settlements with one huge ass ship too.

^ Top  
  15. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Yeah, just talking about the realistic logistics of it all. Setting does seem like one huge ass ship.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Huge city-sized ship is cooler.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Gambler Augur

Gambler
    So, I've been thinking about these announcements, the core idea of a colony ship, concept art posted here, concept art in general... I re-read Orphans of the Sky. And also just stumbled upon a TV series called Ascension.

My conclusion: there are two crucial things that weren't addressed.
    1. What is the size of the ship?
    2. What was the technology level (and "flavor") it started with?
    Everything posted so far can be interpreted in wildly different ways based on those two factors. They are the foundation that a bunch of other assumptions would rest upon.

IMO, a game that follows Orphans of the Sky concept too closely can easily end up being boring. Not because the book was boring, but because it's mots interesting aspect wouldn't translate well to an RPG format.

^ Top  
  18. hivemind Guest

hivemind
    I think they did address this in a way.

It's meant to be a retrofitted cargo ship and not some state of the art colony ship.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I liked the idea of the book but we aren't planning to follow it closely (or at all). We tell a different story in a different setting and examine different themes. The ship is big enough to carry 50,000 colonists; it was launched in the 25th century. It's a retro-fitted old cargo ship so it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles. However, it doesn't mean that the entire game takes places in some cargo holds among container stacks. That's the starting "town" only which is the least technologically advanced location (which is why nobody wants it or cares about it). The actual population hubs look appropriately futuristic; same goes for the majority of the 16 locations so don't jump to conclusions yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Gambler Augur

Gambler
    I appreciate the response, but I also want to point out that your answer is quite ambiguous.

Ship size and population aren't necessarily proportional. Is it 50,000 people suffocating in an tiny, overpopulated metal city? Or is the ship huge enough to get lost in, with forgotten sections that no one visits? I think that distinction would change the nature of the game quite a bit.

Also, even an old cargo ship in 25th century could be insanely high-tech with decent AI, autonomous repair robots (nanomachines?), advanced communication network and a sophisticated monitoring system. We're kind of getting there even right now, in 21st century. Heck, some people believe that there will be a technological singularity in 2029. (And I consider them fanatics who drunk too much of their own cool aid, but still - it is true that the theoretical applications of even our current technologies are quite advanced.)

You also wrote that at launch time the society of the ship will have a totalitarian overtone, which makes me think of the possibilities for 24/7 surveillance in a closed environment.

^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's not a huge ship. It was filled to capacity before the mutiny. The population dropped sharply after the mutiny (in-fighting, deteriorating living conditions, loss of many facilities, etc). There are no forgotten sections but there are areas few people visit because they are sealed or protected by auto-defenses or simply too dangerous.

Well, look at today's ships: you have state-of-the-art recently built ships, you have ships from 70s-80s, 40s-50s, and even older.

http://www.professionalmariner.com/June-July-2014/oldest-laker-converted-to-barge/

[​IMG]
    ^ 107 year old ship

Considering that it was a private enterprise and that ships are expensive, it's unlikely they'd buy a 'modern' ship just to deliver the colonists to another world. They'd buy a ship that's just good enough to get them there, which would be an aging ship, stripped of anything that can't be easily replaced or repaired during the centuries long flight.

I'd say so but that's in the past now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Endlösung Unwanted

Unwanted
    Will this game also be in Torque?

^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    We're planning to use Unreal 4 if we can handle it.

^ Top  
  24. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Actually, big ass ship landing on planet depend on the role and timeline.
    + If they arrive as the vanguard of colonization effort, the mountain of resource a ship offer make for a compelling reason to land. You got resource in a defendable fortress.
    + If they arrive after that, a ship like that in orbit will help immensely to industrialize ground people: Permanent Satellite for weather report. Communication relay. Possibly weather recaliberation if they can cobble together a massive array of solar mirror to provide more sunlight at local spot.

^ Top  
  25. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    This.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)