Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #31: The Interface

Art is ALWAYS a problem for small studios, no matter how simple. Especially illustrations. If we had an artist who could do PoE-style illustrations at a reasonable price, good pace, and consistent quality, we would have gladly illustrated all text adventures. Unfortunately, we don't.

Press F to pay respects to Jaceface :salute:

View attachment 9928

I paid him $100 to create this, and frankly I think I underpaid him. I just had no idea what was appropriate and threw out a price.

That's just one portrait.
thats really nice quality

screeg

Arcane
Developer
Yes, that was the main idea behind this change. Press 1-2-3, with repeating the same key cycling through attacks.
This is halfway to an efficient solution. There are dozens of keys on a keyboard, why only use three with cycling?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
This is halfway to an efficient solution. There are dozens of keys on a keyboard, why only use three with cycling?

Hunting keys all over your keyboard that are away from your primary hand position is efficient? And expecting people to memorize them? It's much faster and efficient to press a single key 2-3 times than move your hand searching for the corresponding one (while not looking at it). We'll consider adding the ability of efficiently (?) using the whole keyboard for the 16 possible different attacks.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Love the character/inventory screen. Easy on the eyes and informative (good amount of clutter).

Gotta agree on the notion about having more stylized and "in-world" dialog screen, though.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The hardest enemy in Underrail uses his bare fists. I think that says it all, really.
Does it now? To me it only shows how committed Styg was to showcasing his "proof of concept" boss fight. Because that's all that fight really is. Carnifex is a pain in the ass because he spawns very close to the player, so much so that he can win the initiative, close the gap and start raping you, all in the very first turn. It makes for an interesting boss fight, but it doesn't attest to the "superiority" of melee in an abstract sense. You don't need to change a single number to make Carnifex a pushover, just make him spawn an additional half screen away from the player. Done. He went from "true terror" to "some dude I burst down in a single turn and lol".

VD's argument for melee:

If you have a sniper rifle, a decent distance by isometric RPG standards, meaning a screen's length, and you're facing a melee enemy, that enemy should never reach you, otherwise it's cheating. If you're facing 3 melee enemies, you have a problem. If the enemies throw a smoke grenade and you can't see shit, you have a big problem. If two enemies are charging at you and two managed to reach another party member who won't get up after a fight if he dies, so you have to prioritize and save his ass first and when you're done, the other two enemies are in your face, you have a very big problem.

Sounds decent but also relies on superior numbers something that the player character in an RPG rarely ever has on his side. That's another issue I have with melee in a game with guns: it relies on zerg tactics, basically. Except the player (or the player party) are the Protoss by default. Usage of melee weapons implies your equipment is cheaper, and advantage that only really matter when you can field an infinite number of soldier, not a 2-6 people party. With limited numbers you don't care for "cost effectiveness", you go for "best of the best" at least post midgame. Depends on how the game economy works, but every single RPG ever has a "rich" economy after you're done doing the first few mandatory missions, and at that point you're gonna ditch your sticks and equip real weapons aka guns.

The alternative means you're gonna have 4 dudes on your side fighting 6 dudes on the enemy side. If all your enemies have guns while 3/4 of yours have guns, that means one of your guys will either: a) rush the enemy and hope he doesn't get instagibbed from all the short range + no cover + burst fire attacks; or b) hide behind something and not contribute to the fight, while the people with real weapons do the job. Best case scenario: 4 enemies have guns and 2 rush you, so your melee dude can play the "counter melee" role serving as a buffer between friendly gunmen and enemy zerglings. He is being useful, but as soon as the lings die (you know they're gonna die first) you're left with the previous situation.

Eh...hope you find a way to make it work. Somehow!

In case your wondering
my player character
sticks to his guns
:yeah:

Latelistener

Arcane
I just hope it will be more of a game than AoD was, since it didn't have many actual gameplay systems besides combat. You couldn't draw a weapon in a city because AI didn't have a logic for these kinds of situations; you couldn't steal something from a random NPC because there was no crime and punishment system in case you failed; and I probably don't need to say anything about stealth. In some cases, Dead State had a better usage of the engine: it didn't have any cities, so I felt less "stiffness", but at the same time, combat was underwhelming compared to AoD, mostly due to the presence of firearms for which the combat system was not adapted to.

I remember someone went that far saying that AoD is better as a game than Underrail. Honestly, I have no idea how you can say that with a straight face. AI in Underrail has multiple senses: it can hear and it has to see you to attack. Different walls have different dampening properties and lighting affects visibility. You can use all of that to your advantage: lure enemies away from crowds and quickly dispatch them with silenced weapons or organize multiple attacks from shadows and hastily retreat to safety while steadily reducing their numbers. There are many ways and possibilities how one can fuck with AI depending on a build, which makes it no less re-playable than AoD, despite lacking on the "RPG" side.

I trust Iron Tower at least acknowledged what Stygian Software did.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I wish that mechanially it would be more diverse.
But - they make their own way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom