Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #37: Combat Demo Update #4 - Delayed To August

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't entirely agree with what Thonius says or how, but he's got a point.

Thing is the colony ship will probably travel for ten thousand years or whatever. To last that long in space it would probably need some ultra durable equipment. I find it a bit hard to believe that flashy monitors and Iphones or whatever will last that long. Mechanical parts that are easy to replace/repair would probably be a better choice. And also make for a more grounded look.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't just a random ship interior, it's a settlement. Most of these "flashy monitors" are signs.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Mechanical buttons can be broken too, especially if these "awesome buttons" used for many years on daily basis. Touch interface also can provide higher security, because it can have temperature sensor + fingerprint, hence cannot be accidentally pressed by object or unauthorized personnel.
If one mechanical button breaks, it's not the whole interface that breaks. And buttons are usually an easy fix. But we know that with touch screens, if even a portion of the screen loses sensitivity, the whole thing needs to be replaced. One would assume it would be the same for holographic projectors. Very inefficient, single point of failure system (if one thing fails everything fails).

And about the security thing, we have airplanes with mechanical buttons, and those have failsafes for accidental pressings, sensors for anomalies, alerts, confirmation buttons, etc. Also don't tell me a touch interface is more accurate and precise than a mechanical one. Touch errors happen more frequently unless the interface is huge, we know this, because the interaction feedback (on which our control accuracy and precision is based) is non-local or at best tries to imitate mechanical feedback.

And a final point that I was making earlier. Mechanical buttons allow the user to develop and use muscle memory. That allows for the autmatization of some tasks. With a visual interface rather than a tactile one you need to always look at what you do. But with a mechanical interface, you to can go by muscle memory like a musician playing his instrument, which allows for a faster speed of execution and reaction, bypassing active mental analysis. Plus, it allows for multitasking. Knowing what you're doing by how things feel tactiley frees your eyes and mind to do something else. Much more efficient.

Touch and holographic interfaces seem to be only beneficial for aesthetics and compact form factor.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Max did several concepts for each location, probably around 30 concepts overall, plus some equipment design like:

aaePUtP.png

^ computer terminal (I do agree that all equipment for the future colony should be sturdy and easy to repair)

l0sH8Gx.png

TgqK7nr.png

1LJOzWE.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what plants are they growing for oxygen production?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
A concept artist posted this on his website. He says it's an alien city for an upcoming RPG by Iron Tower studio.

joan-pique-llorens-aliencity-concept03.jpg

I didn't know Colony Ship had aliens or planets. Could this be from another game they're working on?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Black Angel

Arcane
Crossbow waifu in dungeon rats is literally the best girl. It is technically not AoD, but there is still top tier waifus in ITS games
Nah fam, as Goral pointed out Miltiades is THE best girl of Decadence. In fact, dare I say he's on par with Speedwagon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom