Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Colony Ship Update #41: Closed Combat Beta Begins

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

Iron Tower have launched the closed beta test for the long-awaited Colony Ship combat demo. A select group of testers are already playing and over the next few weeks additional players will be joining up. If everything goes as planned, the demo will have a public release next month. The announcement update is short on text but it does come with ten new screenshots showcasing the latest iteration of the game's user interface, which looks better than ever.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Believe it or not, we finally hit this very important milestone. After 3 years of work I can hardly believe it myself (it's a very surreal feeling). Anyway, the first group of colonists is already playing the demo, so far no crashes or other unpleasantries. If everything goes well, we'll add 10-15 people this weekend and keep adding more each week until we have all the missing pieces, then release it to generic public.

What's left to do: replacing some old animations that Ivan never had a chance to finish, female animations and models, coats (the models are nearly done, need to be textured), all customization options including hair and beards, some GUI tweaks here and there, and extra sounds.​

Hopefully it won't take long for somebody to upload some footage to YouTube so we can finally see this thing in action.

• Brofist Brofist x 21
    • incline incline x 10
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Game is coming along very nicely. From the screenshots, the game is looking much crisper and sharper than AoD, and the decision to back to a standard RPG textbox was a good one. I have total faith that the combat will be excellent, as it was in AoD.

What I hope is that they've taken some steps to eliminate the sort of lifeless feeling some of the cities in AoD had. I don't know what it was, maybe it was just due to how the character models looked when they were standing there, but there was a certain wooden aspect in AoD that I hope they've managed to alleviate in Colony Ship.

Regardless, very excited. This will almost certainly be another GotY contender, and bring some more incline to the RPG genre!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    That was because of the limitations of the engine, Torque.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The engine couldn't handle too many animated character models so we had to use "cardboard cutouts" instead.

• Informative x 8
    • Brofist x 7
    • incline x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    I don't think so. It's a simple Stats, Skills, Feats system. Underrail had the exact same thing, except its derived stats aren't made clearly visible.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    [​IMG]

needs a NSFW tag

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Button x 1
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Rarre Barely Literate

Rarre
    Looks Great!!! Thank you devs!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Dragon Educated

Dragon
    Yes, it is beautiful. RPG wet dream.

I hope there will be some difficulty settings. I never had so much fun than with the "double XP" mod in Age of Decadence.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. underground nymph Educated

underground nymph
    Any streams/uploads already?

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Forbidden by Vault Dweller for now.

• decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    So... Looks like 10 points for stats, 2 skills to tag, 3 skill points (based on INT maybe), and 1 feat point? If I remember correctly, we don't earn attribute points or skills by gaining levels, only feat points, right? Skills are increased by using. So if the only thing we gain from the level is the chance to choose new feats, is it a new feat per level? And some feats will have multiple levels?

I'm really curious to test it already.

^ Top  
  12. AbounI Colonist Patron

AbounI
    Not exactly Drowed, skills have a xp & level system, but yes, they are increased by using.

^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    One feat per level, no multi-level feats.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    16 points for stats, they start at 4. Tags depend on INT. 3 points for the demo (not fully defined), 1 feat point. Skills increased by use, one feat point per level, you can install and upgrade implants on your character, we will probably have story based feats (you can gain them by your actions/training).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iluvcheezcake Savant

Iluvcheezcake
    Would you look at that beautiful, beautiful character screen :)

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Thanks! Nice to know! Another question, by earning levels does your character earn anything other than that point to spend on feats? For example, more HP, based on constitution maybe? Or the only things that change in your character after the game starts (ignoring external events in the story that change stats) are the number of feats and the leven on skills?

And another curiosity, if it's information you can say now, of course. How many feats are there in the game today? VD said in some post that I read that the estimate is that you would reach level 10 to 12 in the game, so how many feats we have to choose from? About 20? Feats are the primary form of specialization of the character it seems, and there are no multilevel feats, so are you guys trying to have a large variation of builds with a lot of feats, or instead, focus on a small number of feats that allow some specific builds?

The game is looking great, by the way!

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    No, feat points only, representing professional growth and development.

24, I think. We'll add more stealth-related feats when we add the stealth system and we're always open to players' suggestions, of course.

The latter.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    STR 10
    CON 10
    DEX 10
    PER 4
    INT 4
    CHA 4

I'LL KILL YOU

*gets shanked by some kind of fucking asshole that tells me as I'm dying that I'm the greatest hero that ever lived*

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    This uses fixed camera-angle, right?

^ Top  
  20. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Yes.

• incline incline x 8
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Crescent Hawk Arbiter

Crescent Hawk
    I am impressed by the cute 3d assets and sober art Vault. Very fucking nice. Hope the game is slightly lengthier than AOD. But from these screens it never feels like you are inside a colony ship. Hoping for some dungeons in the bowels of the ship with automated security.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MrMarbles Arbiter

MrMarbles
    Part of it may also have been sound design. The music in AoD cities was excellent, but there was a lack of ambient noise. Cities would immediately have felt more alive by simply adding some whistles, talking voices, animal braying, carts, mechanical noises from operating wells etc. (VtM:B did this really well, with distant gunfire, cell phones, screeching, footsteps and so on).

^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    sub·jec·tive

based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)