Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

catfood

AGAIN
This looks actually good! Shame it doesn't seem to be available on GOG, but at least it's not Origin exclusive.

Naraya

Arcane
Wow. THIS is how you do a remaster, you Bli$$ard mongoloids!

Personally though I think I'll wait for a remastered-remaster with 8k support somewhere in 2030.

Jokes aside - this is an obvious INCLINE.

Still bummed there is no GOG release :(

Dayyālu

Arcane
I mean I liked Generals too, but it felt like a spin-off and lacked the C&C-esque corniness.

Generals lacked corniness?

Just compared to RA2, it's flat out hilarious compared to TD and RA1. The not!Muslims are an endless amount of dark jokes. Imagine that today, people would be storming the dev's offices and executing them in the streets.

Terra

Cipher
I mean I liked Generals too, but it felt like a spin-off and lacked the C&C-esque corniness.

Generals lacked corniness?

Just compared to RA2, it's flat out hilarious compared to TD and RA1. The not!Muslims are an endless amount of dark jokes. Imagine that today, people would be storming the dev's offices and executing them in the streets.

EA laziness & corner cutting shone through largely due to lack of series staple campy mission briefings. It's not a true C & C without them.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wouldn't call camp a defining feature of the C&C experience, that's just a meme started with RA2 that EA continued with C&C3 and turned up to 11 with RA3 in particular. To me the FMVs from Tiberian Sun and earlier games weren't all that different in tone and execution from the more popular 90s TV science fiction shows. There's some hamming it up here and there, but honestly it was not more noticeable to me than in say Stargate SG-1 or even Babylon 5 that were roughly contemporary to those games.

FMVs were being replaced by in-engine cutscenes in other games at the time of Generals' launch and cutting them could be justified from a production resources perspective I guess, ignoring the obvious series trademark feature status they had for the fans.

Biggest EA retardo with Generals was not having Klepacki do the Generals music, doubtful they had a good reason behind it. In a game that in gameplay and continuity detached itself so much from the predecessors, they really should have used anything they could to at least put up appearances this is indeed another game in the series. The music seemed like a no-brainer choice that could help bridge it to the previous games, but then again EA did close Westwood around the time that the game was made, so it was obvious the suits were morons and their stupidity is to blame for that.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Actually you can. When I was a kid we used to play many RTS on PS1 such as Red Alert and KKnD. For a lot of people that was their first contact with those games.

Terra

Cipher
D-pad controlled the mouse cursor essentially, and a button switched you to and from your sidebar. It wasn't all that bad given the limitations of the controller, I got through C&C, red alert + retaliation expansions on ps1. Obviously hugely inferior control scheme compared to PC though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
red alert + retaliation expansions on ps1.

Yup we played the shit out of that

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom