Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Commander the great war has been released and nobody gave a shit.

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Raghar, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    So a commander the great war has been released. What are your opinions on that?
    I still didn't seen a battlefront game pirated, thus I can't make a comparison.

^ Top  
  2. Erzherzog Magister

Erzherzog
    Parrots:
    Anything that lets me shit on Italy as Austria is worth a look, though I checked reviews of the developers past games and I'm highly hesitant.

^ Top  
  3. GreatPretender Educated

GreatPretender
    Parrots:
    looks like a rehash of old commanders and panzer general in ww1.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    If someone wants to play PG in WWI then this is game for him; game plays as Panzer Corps does with AI cheating a lot at rolls, the added Strategic level and return of front lines instead of isolated strongpoints makes its even more like PG 1 with Only Big difference being added Research and Diplomacy. Can't wait to crush puny Germans and Austrians beneath my might Russian steam roller. :smug:

^ Top  
  5. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    This looks like a very good game. My problem is that for over 4 years I am playing mostly AGE titles ( like Revolution under Siege which is very close to WW1 ) and find it increasingly hard to get back to more simplistic games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    I can't believe we are still getting Panzer General clones in 2012. Devs should start making wargames with modern standards and they can't even get out of early 90s.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    holy shit :lol:

^ Top  
  8. Myrddraal Novice

Myrddraal
    Parrots:
    Hi all,

I'm one of the devs from the Lordz Games Studio.

It's quite a different game, from Panzer General, don't judge based on the shape of the tiles ;). The game is grand strategy. The map stretches from the USA to the Urals, from Finland to Arabia. A turn represents two weeks, and a hex an area of 20km.

Other than the scale, the style of play is also very different from Panzer General. The Panzer General gameplay style really really wouldn't work with the WWI setting.

I can categorically state the the AI does not cheat on rolls. Not on any of the difficulty levels. If you play against the AI in 'Privileged' mode, the AI will get some temporary production boosts, but never any combat bonuses that the player doesn't get.

If you want a good idea of how the game plays out, the best way is probably to have a read of some of the player's AARs, I've put some links below:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3214219
    http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=38749
    http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3213033
    http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=38894

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. kris Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    not sure if this follows the panzer general formula, but that formula was made for regional maps, not all of europe. it don't fit very well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    40 Dorra is beacoup money... but will think about buying this for Christmas as my 8 years son loves to play Panzer Korps, is there official demo somewhere?

^ Top  
  11. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    That is the problem I have with all these global-scale games. Like Strategic Command, Pride of Nations, etc.

I just don't care it there are hexes for North Antarctica and South Sahara, and at the same time 10 million men fight over the same 5 hexes in France. Same for the rules, like artillery support. It just never feels right, and I am afraid it will be no different here.

But the new engine looks like a major improvement over the old one, perhaps if there is a demo or something ...

^ Top  
  12. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    No demo? No shits were given quite rightfully.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Deakul Savant

Deakul
    Parrots:
    Not even in 3D, what is this casual shit?

^ Top  
  14. GreatPretender Educated

GreatPretender
    Parrots:
    :killit:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Myrddraal: What are your plans concerning a demo?

^ Top  
  16. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    They can't do that, they are just offering bounty of 1000 pounds on some person on internet (probably 8-14 years old, or homeless). I wonder where they get these money from, I always when I did game development rather released stuff for free than earned money.

^ Top  
  17. knightley Educated

knightley
    Parrots:
    Iirc, Panzer General did have a demo, so maybe not a bad idea. Since somebody said the screenshot did not do the game justice.

^ Top  
  18. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Panzer Corps has a demo, too ;)

^ Top  
  19. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Hm, any reviews? Might buy this.

^ Top  
  20. Myrddraal Novice

Myrddraal
    Parrots:
    Some reviews:

7idgaming give it 84%. This one is in German (translation of the 'Bottom Line' below):
    http://7idgaming.de/content.php?182-Slitherine-Commander-The-Great-War-REVIEW

Strategy Prime gives it 4/5 stars:
    http://www.strategyprime.net/commander-the-great-war-review/

And this from Rock Paper Shotgun. Not a review, more of a blog post, but still a good insight into the game:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/the-flare-path-a-hextasy-of-fumbling/

If you want to read some user reviews, I would recommend the AARs I posted earlier, and have a browse of the comments from people who have bought the game on those two sites (matrix & slitherine).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    You'd need a pirate release to be able to properly test the game. Demo will not tell you anything about late phases and about advanced tactics.
    As one of reviewers said:
    Which is the main problem with the game. It's goal was just a normal game - strategy, not much more. The various game mechanisms were not researched from real situation and then approximated. They used Ad hoc solutions, which occasionally feels wrong.

Also WWI game without diplomacy... Either it's detailed with juicy research and allows a lot of a historical situations, like keeping US out of war, or...

^ Top  
  22. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    40 Dollars is a lot for PG like Game, especially before the Christmas, will wait till some codexers extend demo purchase this game and write the review. Well done events like arresting Lenin at the Finish border would lead to interesting gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. kris Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    From their review:

Uh, what? What genre are they talking about? Hexagonal turn-based strategy IS a genre, yet a review site called "strategy prime" say this. I am fully bazzled and befundled by this statement.

^ Top  
  24. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    He means that it's a good introductory title if you want to try to get someone into turn-based wargaming, I think.

There are many kinds of "strategy games". Someone who for example likes X-Com or Close Combat may not like a hex-based strategic wargame.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)