Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

ortucis

Prophet
After the content rebalance

B30C48EEF1B78BAAAF4D1BE2D153D96DCEF23309

067A0E7EDBB1C59418CA1FE77454893C8650455E

79C9736D10E6DE80D52B1D7C5400CAE0A4A249FA

Looks like DOF in distance and less contrast overall.

Though it's most likely the increased Volumetric fog, that's making the game look "blurry" even though it isn't. You can see the difference in interactive shot on Unreal 4 documentation here. Volumetric fog in every game has this affect on visuals (though they can improve it by tweaking post process volumes further).

I have no idea WTF is going on with the face in the last shot. Looks like a small head and a face mask on a android. :P

hello friend

Arcane
Woah, tried this game out but had to refund. This is the first game in a long time I can't play without my pc overheating, most games can be run on high settings even with my ancient nvidia 670M graphics card. Or maybe that was the past, and I'm now living in the future.

Not a whole lot of character customisation, faces look more or less the same - but that is of course not terribly important. Love the tits slider, though.

ortucis

Prophet
Woah, tried this game out but had to refund. This is the first game in a long time I can't play without my pc overheating, most games can be run on high settings even with my ancient nvidia 670M graphics card. Or maybe that was the past, and I'm now living in the future.

Not a whole lot of character customisation, faces look more or less the same - but that is of course not terribly important. Love the tits slider, though.

Even my 660Ti wasn't able to max this game out. Laptop cards are shit, so not sure what you were expecting.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

No offence, but I honestly have better things to do than spend time arguing with you about this. I made my points and even apologised for certain things in my first post. That wasn't good enough for you on reddit, and it ain't going to be good enough for you here. Sorry.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i d like to give this a second/third chance but something s really fucked up with performance: i can play the game fine on ultra with 60 fps but give or take 3-5 mins and the game starts having really annoying FPS drops / stuttering into the low 20s for no reason. Happens even in empty desert for a few secs and then you have 60 fps again while fighting in a crowded area … really weird.

System is an i7 6820hk with a GTX 1070 and 16GB ram , everything latest drivers and installed on a SSD (and no other games having similar problems...) …. so it should be more than able to play this just fine.

apparently i m not the only one with that problem though, however noone affected seems to have a solution and many people with worse specs have no problems at all:negative:

oh well…. from what little i played before the shit performance annoyed me at least the combat seemed much improved compared to the crapfest it was before.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

No offence, but I honestly have better things to do than spend time arguing with you about this. I made my points and even apologised for certain things in my first post. That wasn't good enough for you on reddit, and it ain't going to be good enough for you here. Sorry.

Wait, he stalked you from Reddit till here? :lol:

Well they pretty much had the briliant idea to first to close then they decided to restructure the steam forum... Inviting everyone to post in funcom official forum *cough cough: where they can do more damage control* Many me included went to reddit... But i am actually surprised to find a funcom dev answering in to the codex where they have not control...

I guess the chance to answer to them here was too much tempting for me but i got interesting answers. IN short funcom answe was: Sorry guys we fucked up.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
IN short funcom answe was: Sorry guys we fucked up.

No it was that arguing with someone like you is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Conspiracy theories, flat out lies (we launched with 5 additional cultural armors as an example of your inability to remember minor details in your wish to be right) coupled with terrible grammar just make talking to you a chore.

*yawn*

For shits and giggles, post your time played from Steam. That's a more interesting starting point for how much you got ripped off.

Well, if you go back a few posts, I posted a proper "review" or rant during EA itself and a lot of issues people have with this game now, were present before as well. A lot of people were really disappointed with this game before the "final" release and honestly, it feels like they were hemorrhaging money and decided to rush the release to get more players who can be fooled into buying the game and DLC.

We pushed the internal release back from Jan 31st to May to give us more time on the stability and bugs. So no it wasn't rushed because of hemorrhaging money - but it was given a budget and told to be released by roughly that budget.

Also this http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/24/f...-be-the-studios-bestselling-game-of-all-time/

I doubt it any dev can do anything about this anymore. Whole game has been a disaster and is now permanently going to sit at mixed reviews on Steam (so many bull-shots). I still haven't bothered reviewing it myself.

At least it taught me never to back any Funcom project EVER. :argh:

Disaster is hardly the word I would use to describe it. I get that you don't like it, but consider that mixed reviews still means that 7 of 10 people who played it liked it enough to leave a positive review.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

IN short funcom answe was: Sorry guys we fucked up.

No it was that arguing with someone like you is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Conspiracy theories, flat out lies (we launched with 5 additional cultural armors as an example of your inability to remember minor details in your wish to be right) coupled with terrible grammar just make talking to you a chore.

*yawn*

For shits and giggles, post your time played from Steam. That's a more interesting starting point for how much you got ripped off.

Well, if you go back a few posts, I posted a proper "review" or rant during EA itself and a lot of issues people have with this game now, were present before as well. A lot of people were really disappointed with this game before the "final" release and honestly, it feels like they were hemorrhaging money and decided to rush the release to get more players who can be fooled into buying the game and DLC.

We pushed the internal release back from Jan 31st to May to give us more time on the stability and bugs. So no it wasn't rushed because of hemorrhaging money - but it was given a budget and told to be released by roughly that budget.

Also this http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/24/f...-be-the-studios-bestselling-game-of-all-time/

I doubt it any dev can do anything about this anymore. Whole game has been a disaster and is now permanently going to sit at mixed reviews on Steam (so many bull-shots). I still haven't bothered reviewing it myself.

At least it taught me never to back any Funcom project EVER. :argh:

Disaster is hardly the word I would use to describe it. I get that you don't like it, but consider that mixed reviews still means that 7 of 10 people who played it liked it enough to leave a positive review.

Yep conspirancy theories right? :D Like when people told that most likely the most anticipated features where cut by the release and you guys labeled this people as doomsayers and people that were spreading bad rumoris please......have some dignity.

And yes i have plenty of hours played and most of them where taken during the early access and because i was running a clan of large people in a rp server and guess what? we were waiting for the release to have actually the promised features hoping the game would have more content and the promised features... guess what happened'?...

Come on guys... Since you were in a situation pc owners of the game were mad at you and for legit reasons you just told: Screw that lets do a gold build to release the game mainly for console audience... In fact.. Graphic downgrade features still missing... Patch that are not doing nothing more that fix small issue... "But hey while you are waiting us to fix the game while meanwhile you don't buy our newer Cultural DLC that is just released? I know during the early access campaign we promised this kind of content to be part of the base game but still..." come on this is age of conan all over again.

And how you defend yourself gameplay hours?..... Wow you must feel well entagled to fall so low :D

and there is a nice parody video here.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's the same kind of stuff you see some Vermintide 2 "fans" posting.
Hundreds of hours of fun had for the prize of a good meal or two, but the game is of course fully unacceptable and the developers are lazy fucks :lol:
Pretty hard to take that serious. Not that all the complaints are wrong, but.. man, sometimes it is better to take a step back. Or several dozen.

Bocian

Arcane
Hundreds of hours of fun had for the prize of a good meal or two, but the game is of course fully unacceptable and the developers are lazy fucks
People saying stuff like you now is the reason of the decline of games that's probably going to continue. The devs purposefully leave stuff unfinished or buggy either out of laziness or to cut the costs, knowing that their gullible "fans" will cave in and take it in the ass anyways, regardless of blatant lies and omissions, and moreover, they'll fix the bugs themselves, for free, in their free time. "Mods will fix it".
I don't know how your conscience allows you to excuse such behavior, especially that we're talking about a paid product. The price doesn't really matter. For me, money has some value, and paying for something means having some reasonable expectations towards the purchased product. Of course nobody's expecting a work of art and some bugs always slip through the cracks, but let's have some goddamn standards.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hundreds of hours of fun had for the prize of a good meal or two, but the game is of course fully unacceptable and the developers are lazy fucks
People saying stuff like you now is the reason of the decline of games that's probably going to continue. The devs purposefully leave stuff unfinished or buggy either out of laziness or to cut the costs, knowing that their gullible "fans" will cave in and take it in the ass anyways, regardless of blatant lies and omissions, and moreover, they'll fix the bugs themselves, for free, in their free time. "Mods will fix it".
I don't know how your conscience allows you to excuse such behavior, especially that we're talking about a paid product. The price doesn't really matter. For me, money has some value, and paying for something means having some reasonable expectations towards the purchased product. Of course nobody's expecting a work of art and some bugs always slip through the cracks, but let's have some goddamn standards.
The problem is that your standards are way out of proportion.
Of course, if a game has too many issues to have fun with, that's a problem. And I cannot judge if that is the case for Conan Exiles or not (did not yet play), but the ramblings I've read here look 90% like the ramblings I've read for other games that I did spend many dozen of hours with or more (having fun).

But if someone plays a game for hundreds of hours, then he simply cannot claim that the game is shit and not worth a few dozen <yourMonetaryUnitHere>, which is what recommendations are about.
There was obviously enough in the game to hook him for many days. Either that, or he is completely braindead.
Again, that doesn't mean all points are invalid or shouldn't be fixed - if a dev continuously fails to improve and fix issues, all the negativity is justified, but here we have a case of obvious improvements made over time.

Let's not forget that games are ultimately products of entertainment.
You consume them and then move on (and a great game will leave some great memory, too!) - only the rarest of games can be consumed again and again and again. Certainly not a standard I would uphold to every game (it doesn't even make sense for every genre).
It is ridiculous to expect every game to have MMO standards of endless new content and potentially unlimited playtime.
If a game that costs as much as this one does and can give people obviously dozens of hours of entertainment, then that is at the very least "good enough". The scores and general reviews of the game sure make it look like a case of "good enough", with a potential of more.
If the cracks in the game make you stop playing after a long time, so what? Move on, there are other games. You aren't soulbound to this.

This one also has the case of "broken promises", but those "promises" were mostly ideas presented in a misleading way. Another case of marketing fucking up a devs' life - I know that more than enough... Marketing people should be prohibited from getting jobs, bunch of talentless hacks.
If there are still some promises unfulfilled, it is left to everyone to decide for themselves if that is worth shitting on the game or not.
Besides, since when are people here gullible enough to give much about some marketing blurbs?
Either way, if those promises are the only thing you have to say about a game and make you spend hours on forums just lashing out, well, then we go back to my suggestion of "taking a few dozen steps back".

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The problem is that your standards are way out of proportion.
Of course, if a game has too many issues to have fun with, that's a problem. And I cannot judge if that is the case for Conan Exiles or not (did not yet play), but the ramblings I've read here look 90% like the ramblings I've read for other games that I did spend many dozen of hours with or more (having fun).

But if someone plays a game for hundreds of hours, then he simply cannot claim that the game is shit and not worth a few dozen <yourMonetaryUnitHere>, which is what recommendations are about.
There was obviously enough in the game to hook him for many days. Either that, or he is completely retarded.
Again, that doesn't mean all points are invalid or shouldn't be fixed - if a dev continuously fails to improve and fix issues, all the negativity is justified, but here we have a case of obvious improvements made over time.

Let's not forget that games are ultimately products of entertainment.
You consume them and then move on - only the rarest of games can be consumed again and again and again. Certainly not a standard I would uphold to every game (it doesn't even make sense for every genre).
It is ridiculous to expect every game to have MMO standards of endless new content and potentially unlimited playtime.
If a game that costs as much as this one does and can give people obviously dozens of hours of entertainment, then that is at the very least "good enough". The scores and general reviews of the game sure make it look like a case of "good enough", with a potential of more.
If the cracks in the game make you stop playing after a long time, so what? Move on, there are other games.

This one also has the case of "broken promises", but those "promises" were mostly ideas presented in a misleading way. Another case of marketing fucking up a devs' life - I know that more than enough... Marketing people should be prohibited from getting jobs, bunch of talentless hacks.
If there are still some promises unfulfilled, it is left to everyone to decide for themselves if that is worth shitting on the game or not.
Besides, since when are people here gullible enough to give much about some marketing blurbs?
Either way, if those promises are the only thing you have to say about a game and make you spend hours on forums just lashing out, well, then we go back to my suggestion of "taking a few dozen steps back".

Do you realize all the hour played was during the early access and they deliberately deicived who decided to support them by puchasing the title in early access?.. Sadly steam don't devide early access time by released game playtime...
But good luck in life with that slave mentality of yours :D

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Do you realize all the hour played was during the early access and they deliberately deicived who decided to support them by puchasing the title in early access?.. Sadly steam don't devide early access time by released game playtime...
But good luck in life with that slave mentality of yours :D
Thank you for proving my point.
Even in early access, when the game was in a much rougher state than now, you derived days of entertainment from a few bucks.
Even back then, according to your own actions, the game was worth the investment.
You did not lose a single thing (other than maybe your marbles), but behave like you were the victim of an utmost betrayal. A typical spoiled brat.

So what if they didn't deliver what you thought they would? That doesn't invalidate the fun you had with it - even if you don't seem to have fun with it any more.
You are disappointed now? Don't play the game, stop pestering people interested in talking about the game and polluting threads with your barely cohesive ramblings. You're a broken record and I'm not the only one getting bored.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well and then yes... In that case people can see that the hour played after the release are low.... Again when you chose to buy a title in early access you indeed provide feeback signal bugs.. is normal you spend plenty of time inside the game...

But in the end is also pretty convenient when a dev fucks up just say: Hey in the hand look how much hours you played. Except that you play with the promises that other annunced feature would come and you were supporting the title not only puchasing but providing feedback and report bugs because this is how early access work.

Instead they stressed enough the community at the point people were totally stopping playing at some point bugs were taking ages to be fixed and not minor ones. Features were totally scrapped from the release when they had a screen even before the release inside the game that were advertizing such incoming features.

So they instead decided to play dumb and release the game with the 70% of cut content and i am not kidding here and the content that were in were not even fully implemented or riddled with bugs.

We had a server with a media of 50 players at day we had to wipe twice because those devs never even fixed the key features after the release, features important as decay that is necessary to mantain a server healtly for long time we had people that seen their whole city obliterated after a patch just because decay was on when the server patched.

Now our server have like 10 people in the arc of a week logging on it and that because all the players are pissed off with this release that was a monument of incompetency.

But hey keep defending yourself claiming about how the complainer have many hours in the game played you will always find a chunck of people that like good bootlicker they are they will be ready to lick your boots.

"o what if they didn't deliver what you thought they would? That doesn't invalidate the fun you had with it - even if you don't seem to have fun with it any more.
You are disappointed now? Don't play the game, stop pestering people interested in talking about the game and polluting threads with your barely cohesive ramblings. You're a broken record and I'm not the only one getting bored."

You are stupid... Because in the end who spend time in early access does it to contribute the game to grow is an adventure you chose to be part while the game is in development. While bugs are expected majority of the feature cut and major bugs after the game release are beyond the excuse of early access since the game "RELEASED"

I have much more respect by devs like the ones that made the game Kenshi that are just a few people that while been in early access from years they in the end got there and mantained all the promise they did and beyond that they even implemented some features they were only thinking off and not sure to implement.

In the other hand you had developers like Funcom that have whole teams dedicated promising gold and deliver shit, deiceving the ones that decided to invest money to see the game blossom as advertised and delivering an half assed title with the major point of the feature annunced cut , barren and even riddled with bugs.

But hey good luck with your delusional mentality.

And people are annoyed by me? well that's the codex i can tell all the shit i want how much i want freedom of speech you are bored? stop quoting me shill. :P

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You are stupid...
89d.gif

Sorry, the rest of the stuff is just your never proven claims of betrayal and wilful deceit.
And if you really believe anyone is going to buy the story of the great hero Mebrilia undertaking the journey of suffering through a game just to provide feedback - well, in that case I'm not so sure I'm the one who's stupid.
You are trying to downplay the fact that you got your money's worth, that's all there is to it - and you're only doing it because someone stalked you to call your bullshit.
Either that or you are even further gone than expected, as you did a QA job for free and paid for the "privilege". In that case, nothing you say is relevant anyway as you are an utter fool.

You bought an early access game, you aren't satisfied with how it turned out, and now you cannot stop crying and blaming the evil devs instead of just moving on with your life.
The sad thing is that there are even some valid points in your drivel, but those points are already known and are raised by pretty much everyone, so even that is kinda pointless.

Also, of course I'm bored. Why the hell do you think I'm here?
I'm in a phase of deciding what game to play next.
Coincidentally, it might be Conan Exiles soon.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Name a game and i will challenge you :D

And beside i am not crying i am just informing about funcom deiciving behaviour that sadly is a thing that goes on since the time of age of conan.. The comical video i published while being a parody it is fairly accurate :D

Also all this annunced feature they cut were advertized in game til the game release... There was a video on it that i linked few posts back where they are actually showing assets of this new features and is not a PR the ones that is running the show but joel itself.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
400px-Spmounties.PNG

"WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!"

I just got this on the sale. Hopefully it's a decent timesink. I know that it's probably not great but if you dont want to go the story-driven route there are not many options left on Steam.

Burning Bridges

Anyway thanks for your warning I will try it an hour or so and then decide wether I keep it. I am one of the people who actually enjoyed doing nothing but building houses in Morrowind, and thought that perhaps this is a bit like that.

i.e. should I refund it? I was not ecstatic about the MMOness but the map looks kinda big :lol:

You DO realize that "survival" (using the term loosely for Conan Exiles) games like 7 Days to Die, REQUIRE that you at least put in 20 hours before realizing whether they are good or not, right? Hell, in Conan Exiles, you'll be collecting sticks and stones for at least 4 hours before you start crafting some good stuff.

Not to mention, a lot of time, you sink in 50 hrs before realizing "Yeah, this game has no end game, what I saw is what they want me to do for the net 200+ hrs".

While we're at it, people who say "You've played a game for so many hours, THE GAME MUST BE GOOD.", need to play more games. I sat through the new Ghostbusters movie, it must be good too, right sheep?

It's not only about that. What I personally can't stand is when I see developers procrastinating.

There are a lot of folk who defend "their" developer to the death while anyone who works in programming can see that the developers have second jobs, that the "major" update that took 8 months contains only 1-2 weeks of work etc. I think that is when the -- reviews come in by people with the 500 hours. They were tricked into liking an alpha (keep in mind that these games are all open-ended games that people expect to play for 1000s not 100s of hours) but after a year or so they realize that the developer is just trying to get as much money from whatever work he did upfront, and is basically just doing wangle dangle. People don't like to be cheated and forgot like that, and the more they know the less they want to let someone get away with such a lie.

And in many ways this is almost universal because Steam these days is more like hipster wellfare, the only time anyone is doing work is because he is still trying to get to the feeding dish. After 1-2 years they all just make bullshit claims and play for time.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You DO realize that "survival" (using the term loosely for Conan Exiles) games like 7 Days to Die, REQUIRE that you at least put in 20 hours before realizing whether they are good or not, right? Hell, in Conan Exiles, you'll be collecting sticks and stones for at least 4 hours before you start crafting some good stuff.
I won't argue there is some grey area here of what is long enough or not to judge a game, and that area differs somewhat from game to game.
But I'm talking about people with many dozens or even hundreds of hours.

But honestly, even after only 4 hours of a survival game, you can judge it fairly well. You don't need to see everything to know if a game is for you or not. These games never radically change from early to late game.

If you want to say that the 2 hour refund policy of Steam is shit, then I fully agree. It isn't long enough.

Not to mention, a lot of time, you sink in 50 hrs before realizing "Yeah, this game has no end game, what I saw is what they want me to do for the net 200+ hrs".
So what? Who cares if a game has no special endgame?
Players really need to get away from this ridiculous MMO mentality of every game requiring an eternal end game to keep you hooked.
Did you have fun for those 50 hours? If so, you either feel you are done with the game and move on or keep playing because it was fun and you want some more. Either way, you got your money's worth.
If you didn't enjoy your 50 hours, why the hell did you play for so long? Hoping for it to get better or change? A simple look at some reviews or other material could have told you that.

While we're at it, people who say "You've played a game for so many hours, THE GAME MUST BE GOOD.", need to play more games. I sat through the new Ghostbusters movie, it must be good too, right sheep?
You must be really out of arguments if you start comparing games to movies.
It doesn't work like that, games are interactive, movies are not. And movies are 2 hours long, that's just not long enough to leave early for most people, even if they realize they won't like it.
I also watched the new Ghostbusters movie. It is ... okay? Nowhere near the old ones, but not nowhere near as shit as some "fans" make it out to be.

At best, you could compare "games" like that TellTale stuff to movies - and in that case, yes, it is either good or you are a fucking idiot for "playing" through it entirely. And in the idiot case, your opinion doesn't matter anyway.

(keep in mind that these games are all open-ended games that people expect to play for 1000s not 100s of hours)
And that is what is so completely wrong. This expectation is 100% ridiculous. No developer has ever claimed that their game has such a lasting appeal. Hundreds? Maybe. Thousands. Nope. Therefore it is absurd to judge it by that.
The only people who play a game that long are those that have all their sweet spots hit by the game. But to say a game sucks just because it "only" lasted you a hundred and not a thousand hours?
You really have to step back and realize how absurd that is.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

(keep in mind that these games are all open-ended games that people expect to play for 1000s not 100s of hours)
And that is what is so completely wrong. This expectation is 100% ridiculous. No developer has ever claimed that their game has such a lasting appeal. Hundreds? Maybe. Thousands. Nope. Therefore it is absurd to judge it by that.
The only people who play a game that long are those that have all their sweet spots hit by the game. But to say a game sucks just because it "only" lasted you a hundred and not a thousand hours?
You really have to step back and realize how absurd that is.

Then you seem to be completely new to open world survival games. A Steam friend of mine has spent 2,600 hours in 7DTD. I calculated that he spent over 1 year in front of that shitty game. Which is kinda funny because he is just 20 :lol:

I also have to laugh everytime I see raving reviews on all those storyfag interactive movies that go for games these days and then everyone has like 20 hours playtime. For a game-game this goes for the tutorial. If you still find that absurd, I conclude that you live on a completely different planet.

Burning Bridges

Did you have fun for those 50 hours? If so, you either feel you are done with the game and move on or keep playing because it was fun and you want some more. Either way, you got your money's worth. If you didn't enjoy your 50 hours, why the hell did you play for so long? Hoping for it to get better or change? A simple look at some reviews or other material could have told you that.

If you file a divorce does the judge ask you, "did you have fun for those 11 years?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom