Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Conan Unconquered - Conan RTS by Petroglyph and Funcom

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Wouldn't a Conan RTS just be Bronze Age Total War or Age of Empires 1?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Yes, but Paradox purchased the rights to the Conan IP shortly before it expired and has since been acting as a copyright troll by threatening to sue anyone else using it.

• Rage Rage x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Weird. Is it because the character rights passed to the people writing the fake Conan stories, like L. Sprague De Camp?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    People want a game where they play as Conan exploring most of Hyboria getting into random adventures. Not a MMO, not a RTS, or any of this shit.

No developer can deliver on this though, because none of them can deliver on the open world aspect and write well thought out adventures and quests that will immerse players in the setting. Not to mention a satisfying combat system.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    i mean, funcom's Secret world had some really great quests. Although, i'm not sure they are capable to replicate this without Ragnar Tornquist.

^ Top  
  6. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    There are multiple ways to achieve it, of course, and it depends on budget. I pitched a game called "Hyborian Tales" a few years back which was basically Conan Darklands (this was instead of the Lego game we ended up making). But the business case was pretty weak for management and LEGO were on the hook selling the management up on them being the largest toy brand in the world.

Let's put it this way - I'd love be able to do what Iron Tower Games do - focus on delivering a rock solid RPG with choice and consequences over a long development period.
    In reality, what I often have to do is make a game in a short period of time (Conan Exiles was 1 year from concept to Early Access launch) with a certain level of graphical fidelity.

I'm sure people think I am the devil, but I try pretty hard to be true to the lore within the constraints of the games I get to work on.

Ragnar wrote cutscenes in TSW - I did the quest design with the team. In fact 90% of the work on quest design was trying to find interesting ways to take the prewritten cutscenes (yes many of them were written before the actual quests) and turn them into good missions. That's not to take away from the great worldbuilding RT did, but he was hands off on the quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    :bro:

^ Top  
  8. SpoilVictor Educated

SpoilVictor
    So what is going on here: take dead IP (Conan lost relevance in mainsteream long ago, and shit games and movie didn't help either) and make it RTS (genre that is dead too). I smell success.

On the side note it would be hilarious if someone make game or movie true to source material and all SJWs would loose their minds:outrage:

^ Top  
  9. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    A RTS, too bad.

^ Top  
  10. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    Imagine that...

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    9 hours to go, lads!

^ Top  
  12. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    With the occasional elder god/unnameable thing from the murky depths of the abyss thrown in for shits and giggles.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    And ape men and winged things and a few marauding kozaki.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Man, I always wonder if it's just me being an illiterate retard, which I am anyway, or if anybody else understands this kind of stuff. How the fuck can anything ever enter the public domain at any moment if a character created by someone who's dead 100 years ago is copyrighted today?

^ Top  
  15. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    True, but we all know what we'd ideally want the most.

^ Top  
  16. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    It's not exactly what I want to play though', what I really want to play is an RPG where I create my own party in Conan's world since playing as pregens is boring (in RPGs).
    Something in this vein although it's a bad example since you don't create your party from what I've read (I have not played the game yet) :

• incline incline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Basically you can write stories about the Hyborian Age if you like, but woe betide you if you use Conan in it.

bylam what about the rest of Howard's work? When will we see a Breckenridge Elkins mountain man sim or a Steve Costigan adventure?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Oracsbox Magister Shitposter

Oracsbox
    Exactly they also want well I want anyway attractive ladies to plough while on said exploration :D (I literally have no life outside gaming).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Like forever? Don't copyrights expirate at one point, and in that case why is it different from the books?
    And what does the books being in the public domain mean? Does that not mean that you could make some adaptation of the book for example, which couldn't be possible if you can't use the Conan's name?
    Also, can you use any Hyborian Age character's name but Conan's one?

It's Evil's doom.

^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Eurogamer spilled it already: https://www.eurogamer.net/games/conan-unconquered

It will be announced here...

Also Yakuza game related and NISA announcement.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yaaaay... :cry:

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Will this be base-building/strategic RTS or "real-time tactics" with limited numbers of units?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Strategic: https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/8/18132002/conan-unconquered-pc-launch-date-petroglyph-funcom

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. SpoilVictor Educated

SpoilVictor
    So fking Dawn of War Last Stand?
    :imperialscum:Purge that filth!

^ Top  
  25. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Well, color me surprised. I did not believe they would commit to an RTS. How much sense it makes for risk-averse Funcom to approve a real-time strategy in 2018 is kinda up in the air.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)