Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Conan Unconquered - Conan RTS by Petroglyph and Funcom

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    journolizm :deathclaw:

petroglyph are making the weirdest shit

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    unsubscribed

• Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Actually, on reflection this kind of pisses me off. How hard would it be to take the same "build ur fortress" shtick, just make it versus instead of last stand and have it play like Stronghold?

Has there ever been anything any similar to Stronghold anyway?

ffs

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• decline decline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. SpoilVictor Educated

SpoilVictor
    Looks like the same shit Relic did with Dawn Of War III - it's kinda RTS but RTS don't sell so we will make it RTSLite with MOBA elements. Same here kinds RTS, but more like Last Stand or Horde mode... I smell success.

^ Top  
  8. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    bylam

YOUR COMPANY HAS BROUGHT SHAME TO THE CONAN BRAND

COMMIT RITUAL SUDOKU RIGHT NOW

(Also damn that 'summon giant avatar' shtick they did in the MMO and here is super fucking stupid and in no way Conan-esque)

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    It's based on Black Colossus if anyone cares.

And meh, I'm not here to defend decisions made above my paygrade. And yeah, marketing love the avatar shit.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Black Colossus? That is kinda neat, tbqh.

^ Top  
  11. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Wait a minute... is this a fucking tower defense game?

• Funny x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    I don't remember giant spiders and colossus THAT big from the books.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. The Great ThunThun How DARE you!?

The Great ThunThun
    Jesus. They went and retardoed this immediately even when I gave them the benefit of doubt. Conan fighting with a statue of Mitra? Farkers ever read a Conan story in their life?

EDIT: That's it bastards. Funcom or those morons at Dark Horse will never see a penny from me again.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Well when Conan was King of Aquilonia worship of Mitra was the main religion. There was nothing about a change to Crom by the people and Conan didn't seem to care about which Gods people worshiped. Mitra has also favored or helped him in 1 or 2 stories at least.

^ Top  
  15. Frusciante Arbiter

Frusciante
    Project: Eternity
    Well they are billions is an amazing game so not bad to be inspired by that. A versus mode would be nice though that I agree.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    So what is this, an AoM clone or Stronghold clone?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    I know exactly how the world of Conan works. I've read all of REH's stories. If you thought they were going to be able to somehow translate that into a RTS game, then you're a fool. I knew something like this was coming.

^ Top  
  18. The Great ThunThun How DARE you!?

The Great ThunThun
    They can very easily translate it into an RTS. Here is a treatment I pulled out of my ass in 5 mins:

Make it a squad based RTS. Conan leads a small band of fellow mercenaries in the early game. They join with Strabonus, Miserly King of Koth to fight against rebel prince Amalrus. But Strabonus deceives them, so they join Amalric, a General who leads a large mercenary company. Then the plot of Black Colossus happens. Conan then follows Amalric who leads the Mercenaries against Turan, harassing them, secretly supported by all Turan's neighbors who oppose it. Turan defeats them scattering the mercenaries. Conan joins the Pirates in the Vilayet against Turan, but then leaves or is again defeated by Turan. Brief Naval warfare interlude (plot of Black coast queen). Conan then leads Kushite tribesmen for a while, eventually traveling back North. Then the plot of Witch shall be born happens where Conan leads Zuagirs against the Usurpers of the Khauranian throne. He then joins the Zuagirs long term against Turan, eventually leading them in many campaigns. Eventually, trying to unite the Afghulis with Zuagirs (People of Black Circle) he is again thwarted and flees to Tortuga. Another Naval interlude with all the Piraty stuff. Then he rejoins Amalrus against Strabonus but is headily defeated. unperturbed he joins the Argossian army against Stygia, which is betrayed and then returns to Aquilonia. After this mostly the plot of Black river. Finally, Conan conquers Aquilonia and then fights all the battles in the later period. There, done. RTS with Conan.

People like you who have little creativity want giant statues where a perfectly serviciable plot already exists.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Don't think that could work and be satisfying. If it were more squad based, it should probably be turn based. I guess you could do real time, but it would probably have to function like an isometric RPG with real time combat. Problem is would you level up a bunch of men only to lose them and have to start over in between campaigns. Wouldn't be satisfying. Conan also never ran around with squads of men in most of the stories, it still technically wouldn't be true to Conan. Wizards are another thing as well as they're portrayed as something that are overpowered and can even kill Conan easily, but Conan typically gets lucky with circumstances and kills them in a split second before they can cast a spell that kills him.

One of the things that would be difficult to do with a game like this is to portray Conan how he was in between his quests. He gets rich from a quest, probably goes around drinking, gambling, paying women until he's broke and he moves on to the next city adventure. We also don't know how long he keeps the women around before leaving them.

^ Top  
  20. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    True, but it is arguable that Phoenix on the Sword also has Mitra helping Conan via Epimetreus. Which is the second story I suspect Grimlorn was referring to.

I don't like it (I also said that the giant spiders should be siege engines etc.) but I file this stuff under "the checklist" marketing people go through on every video. Giant monster? Check.

I'd love to do this, but just from an asset perspective: Kothians, Turanians, Shemites, The Red Brotherhood, Zuagirs, Afghulis, Zingaran Freebooters, Argosseans, Stygians and Aquilonians. At least seven different terrain setups and both land and naval units for many of those cultures. That's a whole different budget level to what Petroglyph are working with.

Anyway, I'm not working on this apart from the occasional playtest internally, but I think it will appeal to people who like the niche. It's not for everyone.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    so this is where the secret world money went

^ Top  
  22. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    Yeah but you said there was exactly one. If you agree this is an indirect one as well, that's two. :P

I'm just assuming you've never worked with an actual marketing team. Plus...a lot of people like it.

*I* want a good RTS game. But I am simply saying that in a world where games have budgets and somebody has to theoretically has to approve said budgets, you can't write a design that will cost far more than the potential upside.

I dunno, I suspect you are conflating the name recognition with the actual lore recognition. How many people have heard of Conan vs read the acutal REH stories?

I talk to people *all* the time about Conan and it is 90% Arnold, 7% Roy Thomas and maybe 3% REH fans. But in any case the "niche" I was referring to was not the Conan fans, but the RTS survival fans.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Did you see my post on the previous page? I already said the same thing about a game where you play as Conan exploring Hyboria and going on adventures. But a RTS is not going to be satisfying. It would likely need to be an action game in first or third person.

True Conan is never alone, he usually has a partner, but you can't do a lot with strategy combat with a 2 man group. There are some campaigns alluded to in the stories when he leads men, and you could improvise what those are, but a RTS is never going to be satisfying because Conan was always about a Barbarian going on adventures alone or with a partner in an ancient world, exploring ancient ruins, getting into trouble, stealing riches, killing ape men or other monsters, overcoming absurd odds. Reminding men that civilization makes them weak.

^ Top  
  24. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    I like it. The RTS genre is not what it used to be, traditional attempts frequently die on the vine, and AoE4 is looming anyway. It seems Petroglyph at the very least understands it needs to carefully navigate the genre and not just empty out a run of the mill title. Ignoring the 'adventuring barbarian' aspect, Conan is actually a pretty strong setting for the genre.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    This is all above my paygrade at Funcom, but I do know that They Are Billions which sold over 750k copies has been often quoted as a newer style of RTS that does quite well - with no name recognition.

External and Internal Projects usually only get greenlit if the business case makes sense.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)