Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consolefag talks shit about Witcher 2 - The Article

MikeHaggar

Educated
Project: Eternity
wtf? witcher is an incredibly simple game, i dont even really consider it an rpg, more of an action-adventure game.
how on earth could anybody NOT figure this game out? what is hard to understand? that you don't have qte finishing moves? >.>

fuck, god hand (an extremly good 3d beat em up) is WAY more complex then witcher 2 and that was a console only game. console kids have grown even dumber with the years....

Why is a more complicated experience a priori better anyway? Why are more options preferable? Any idiot can design a game with an elaborate interface system, just like any idiot can write confusing, muddled prose.

It took me six and a half minutes to figure out how to make one potion.

Tom Bissell is the author ofChasing the Sea, God Lives in St. Petersburg, The Father of All Things, and Extra Lives

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7694386/on-mass-effect-3

One of my dearest friends — a professional video-game writer, at that — confessed to me that he found Mass Effect 3's combat boring and stale. I asked him to lie down and checked his temperature. He seemed fine. As our discussion went on, it came out that he hadn't been using any Biotic powers. I asked him, "What the hell have you been doing to kill people?" "Sniper rifle," he said. "I figured the powers were all dumb." I fired up the game. With him watching, I set one dude on fire, froze another dude and shattered him with a teleport charge, and finally launched a bunch of other hapless dudes into the air with a telekinetic shockwave. "I'm an idiot," my friend said, accurately.

See, Mom and Dad? Video games aren't all about senseless slaughter! I mean, in this one, you can actually talk the last bad guy you encounter into shooting himself in the head for you!

Video-game enthusiasts are, in many ways, the most reactionary and emotionally conservative audience out there. For that reason alone BioWare should continue to give gamers the chance to meet and interact with incidentally gay characters. (This is what more meatheaded gamers call "shoving the gay agenda down our throats!!")

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get it, Witcher 2 isnt complicated at all, its just like every other fucking ARPG out there.

No it's not. "Arpg" used to refer to diablo clones. Nowdays it's used to desribe every shitty real time RPG for some strange fucking reason. Witcher 2 isn't complicated. It is, however, a shit game. Nuke poland.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7694386/on-mass-effect-3

One of my dearest friends — a professional video-game writer, at that — confessed to me that he found Mass Effect 3's combat boring and stale. I asked him to lie down and checked his temperature. He seemed fine. As our discussion went on, it came out that he hadn't been using any Biotic powers. I asked him, "What the hell have you been doing to kill people?" "Sniper rifle," he said. "I figured the powers were all dumb." I fired up the game. With him watching, I set one dude on fire, froze another dude and shattered him with a teleport charge, and finally launched a bunch of other hapless dudes into the air with a telekinetic shockwave. "I'm an idiot," my friend said, accurately.

See, Mom and Dad? Video games aren't all about senseless slaughter! I mean, in this one, you can actually talk the last bad guy you encounter into shooting himself in the head for you!

Video-game enthusiasts are, in many ways, the most reactionary and emotionally conservative audience out there. For that reason alone BioWare should continue to give gamers the chance to meet and interact with incidentally gay characters. (This is what more meatheaded gamers call "shoving the gay agenda down our throats!!")

"Mass Effect 1 clearly emerged from the school of classic RPG game design" :dance:

MikeHaggar

Educated
If you view Witcher 2 as a action/adventure game with RPG elements it's actually really fucking good. The combat system is amazing as a beat em up/hack n slash, and personally I'm a big fan of hard beat em ups like God Hand, Ninja Gaiden and to a slightly lesser degree DMC, and have really high standards for this.
It's not strange that it does not fit the taste of most codexers though.

It is, however, a shit game. Nuke poland.

Maybe if they had better inspirations than fucking Batman: Arkham Asylum, the end result would've been much different.

Other than that, Witcher 2 is 100% "RPG" in its current mainstream streamlined fucking dumbed down definition.

MikeHaggar

Educated
Yeah, nothing screams hack n slash like endlessly rolling around.
same could be said of dmc's dodge. or the dodge in ninja gaiden.
but these are console games (good, difficult and hard ones though) and prolly not in the taste of codexers, like i said i dont think of it as an rpg.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
same could be said of dmc's dodge. or the dodge in ninja gaiden.
but these are console games (good, difficult and hard ones though) and prolly not in the taste of codexers, like i said i dont think of it as an rpg.

I haven't played any of those myself, but when I did see friends doing so they were actually hitting their opponents and pulling off some insane combos, instead of just avoiding them. The combat basically consists of running away from your enemy in fear for most of the game, until you either pump Qwen or the sword, at which point all you do is kill entire mobs without flinching.

MikeHaggar

Educated
did you play it before or after the enhanced edition update? quen was pretty bad in most situations in ee. but it shouldnt have been shit from the start, if it was.
it was alot about positioning and keeping opponents at bay with the push thing, traps and getting behind opponents for huge damage. from what i remember i played you'd pretty much get raped whenever you tried to take on entire mobs, i had to keep people at bay. imo witcher 2 is like a mix of dark souls dmc with worse combos but more focus on careful positioning.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I don't get it, Witcher 2 isnt complicated at all, its just like every other fucking ARPG out there.

No it's not. "Arpg" used to refer to diablo clones. Nowdays it's used to desribe every shitty real time RPG for some strange fucking reason. Witcher 2 isn't complicated. It is, however, a shit game. Nuke poland.
I prefer term 'nuRPG'. If 'nuMetal' works for music that isn't metal, then 'nuRPG' should fit perfectly the nextgen RPGs.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
did you play it before or after the enhanced edition update? quen was pretty bad in most situations in ee. but it shouldnt have been shit from the start, if it was.
it was alot about positioning and keeping opponents at bay with the push thing, traps and getting behind opponents for huge damage. from what i remember i played you'd pretty much get raped whenever you tried to take on entire mobs, i had to keep people at bay. imo witcher 2 is like a mix of dark souls dmc with worse combos but more focus on careful positioning.

Before. I didn't try Quen, as I went with swordplay or whatever it was called and only in the end did the fights improve. Of course by then I could just press one button and Geralt would execute everybody in sight in a little cutscene, so it wasn't particularly rewarding.

MikeHaggar

Educated
well they balanced out the difficulty curve in ee aswell, so it was harder at the end (chapter 3 is still way to easy, chapter 1 and chapter 2 are amazing though). i didnt play w2 before ee but i wouldnt doubt that it sucked back then.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Is Witcher 2 worth a try or totally crap? And how would you compare it to the Witcher?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you view Witcher 2 as a action/adventure game with RPG elements it's actually really fucking good. The combat system is amazing as a beat em up/hack n slash, and personally I'm a big fan of hard beat em ups like God Hand, Ninja Gaiden and to a slightly lesser degree DMC, and have really high standards for this.
:what:
Witcher 2 is a failure of a hack and slash because Geralt's sluggish, non-cancelable context-sensitive attacks leave him too open for attack and none of the enemies are aggressive enough as a result (if they were you'd die constantly through no fault of your own).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is Witcher 2 worth a try or totally crap? And how would you compare it to the Witcher?
I liked it. The story is comparable in quality, but the voice acting is about 3 times better (and I'm comparing to EE for Witcher 1). The combat is more streamlined and more deadly, which I liked, after the fight with the Barghest boss I don't recall a single difficult combat in the first game. They also cut down on the number of retarded fetch me 7 ostrich gizzards style quests.

So, if you liked the story and setting of the first one, and want more, you should like it.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I liked it. The story is comparable in quality, but the voice acting is about 3 times better (and I'm comparing to EE for Witcher 1). The combat is more streamlined and more deadly, which I liked, after the fight with the Barghest boss I don't recall a single difficult combat in the first game. They also cut down on the number of retarded fetch me 7 ostrich gizzards style quests.

So, if you liked the story and setting of the first one, and want more, you should like it.

I actually played the first with great Russian voice acting :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom