Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consolefag talks shit about Witcher 2 - The Article

GaemzDood

Educated
Only in this day and age where consolefag pop a mole loving "critics" complain about a consolefag game. :decline:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think it's a good place to ask this.

Has anyone played The Witcher 1 with that Mod that overhauls the game, adds Heliotrope sign etc., and generally was supposed to turn it into a really "hardcore difficulty" game? If so, what are your opinions? Worth a try?

EDIT: It would be that one: http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/237/?tab=3&navtag=/ajax/modimages/?user=0&id=237

Can't imagine playing TW1 without it. Normal mode is what hard should have been, and hardcore is a death sentencr. It also makes Yrden sign remotely useful while significantly nerfing Igni and Aard. Heliotrop is useless from my experience, however. It does make bombs worth your while, though.

Wasteland 2
Fuck this shitty mod. Combat in W1 already is BSB. It still is BSB with this mod and a pain in the ass on top of that.
It has this roll around or you are dead in a second shtick from W2, since it was made by the same guy. Except W1 was not designed for that.
There are many instances in W1 when you're closed in a small cellar with a few enemies and no place to move, have fun with save scumming in order to survive that.
If you get blocked on environment or immobilised by special effect once – reload. Equipment and skills are more boring than in original and mostly useless.

A key to enjoy W1 is to be done with combat fast, or ignore some of it by running past respawns when you can, not in turning it into a chore and savescum fest.
After I've reached bank cellar scene with 10 elves completely blocking my movement and killing me in a second each time, I had to uninstall this shit and download saves from the web.
Saves I've downloaded to continue with original combt lacked few chick cards I've collected :x

Playing original combat on hard from that point on, was almost fun in comparison. Non combat related parts of it like scabbards are ok.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
It's pieces of shit like:
The Witcher 2's inventory system feels like reading a bus schedule in another language on another planet. When the game tries to help you, it often makes things worse. Yes, The Witcher 2's tutorial does the impossible: It somehow succeeds in making its already too-complicated gameplay systems harder to understand. It took me six and a half minutes to figure out how to make one potion.
That give consolenewfags a bad name.

If I play popamole, and also consider myself Master Race... does that make me a Tranny?

Phelot

Arcane
Not sure why they would complain about the inventory since it is a standard consolized inventory. IIRC items aren't alphabetized, though, which could get annoying, but the filters made it simple enough. Regardless, it should have been a grid.

Gerrard

Arcane

Has anyone played The Witcher 1 with that Mod that overhauls the game, adds Heliotrope sign etc., and generally was supposed to turn it into a really "hardcore difficulty" game? If so, what are your opinions? Worth a try?

EDIT: It would be that one: http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/237/?tab=3&navtag=/ajax/modimages/?user=0&id=237
Let's make the enemies deal insane damage in a game where combat is entirely based on RNG, that sounds like a great idea.
Also the guy who made this mod went on to work in CDPR and he is responsible for the shitty changes in TW2's combat (and probably the combat in general).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Let's make the enemies deal insane damage in a game where combat is entirely based on RNG, that sounds like a great idea.
Also the guy who made this mod went on to work in CDPR and he is responsible for the shitty changes in TW2's combat (and probably the combat in general).
The Witcher combat isn't entirely based on RNG. It's mostly based on your ability to push a mouse button in a rhythm. As long as you can do that, and choose the right stance you basically never get hit.

Gerrard

Arcane

The Witcher combat isn't entirely based on RNG. It's mostly based on your ability to push a mouse button in a rhythm. As long as you can do that, and choose the right stance you basically never get hit.
Cool story bro. I'm awaiting your TW LP where you never get hit.

yellowcake

Arcane
Is Witcher 2 worth a try or totally crap? And how would you compare it to the Witcher?

it's shit.
witcher 1 is better, at least in that game they recognize the combat is useless anyway and you might as well group style the shit out of everything.

I actually enjoyed Witcher 1 combat much better than witcher 2. There was more gaming in it. Provided one playing on Hard difficulty from the get go though which forces you to use alchemy.

MikeHaggar

Educated
Project: Eternity
Fuck this shitty mod. Combat in W1 already is BSB. It still is BSB with this mod and a pain in the ass on top of that.
It has this roll around or you are dead in a second shtick from W2, since it was made by the same guy. Except W1 was not designed for that.
There are many instances in W1 when you're closed in a small cellar with a few enemies and no place to move, have fun with save scumming in order to survive that.
If you get blocked on environment or immobilised by special effect once – reload. Equipment and skills are more boring than in original and mostly useless.

A key to enjoy W1 is to be done with combat fast, or ignore some of it by running past respawns when you can, not in turning it into a chore and savescum fest.
After I've reached bank cellar scene with 10 elves completely blocking my movement and killing me in a second each time, I had to uninstall this shit and download saves from the web.
Saves I've downloaded to continue with original combt lacked few chick cards I've collected :x

Playing original combat on hard from that point on, was almost fun in comparison. Non combat related parts of it like scabbards are ok.

tbh it sounds like you just suck dick at the game

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Is Witcher 2 worth a try or totally crap? And how would you compare it to the Witcher?

it's shit.
witcher 1 is better, at least in that game they recognize the combat is useless anyway and you might as well group style the shit out of everything.

I actually enjoyed Witcher 1 combat much better than witcher 2. There was more gaming in it. Provided one playing on Hard difficulty from the get go though which forces you to use alchemy.

Yeah, i loved the combat and alchemy system in the witcher.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

it's shit.

Yeah, i loved the combat and alchemy system in the witcher.

Did anybody even use the alchemy system in TW2? All of the elixirs just gave some insignificant bonuses, which was really disappointing compared to TW1's nice health potion scheme.

Actually the only time I recall the elixirs actually being useful, was during that abandoned psychiatric hospital mission, when you couldn't see the ghosts without them.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It took me six and a half minutes to drink one potion in TW2. It was so slow that I usually didn't even bother with potions even if I knew they'd be useful. You can't even drink potions before some of the toughest fights, and even if you can, their effects will probably run out during a cutscene or something. I think there was only one place in the entire game where you neede Cat (Vergen tunnels), and stuff like Swallow and Tawny Owl weren't exactly useful either even though I carried them with me all the time in TW1. I really can't understand why and how they managed to screw up something that was done so well in the previous game.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It took me six and a half minutes to drink one potion in TW2. It was so slow that I usually didn't even bother with potions even if I knew they'd be useful. You can't even drink potions before some of the toughest fights, and even if you can, their effects will probably run out during a cutscene or something. I think there was only one place in the entire game where you neede Cat (Vergen tunnels), and stuff like Swallow and Tawny Owl weren't exactly useful either even though I carried them with me all the time in TW1. I really can't understand why and how they managed to screw up something that was done so well in the previous game.

yeah, what is the crap being able to DRINK FUCKING POTIONS while MEDITATING ONLY?! :x :x :x

yellowcake

Arcane
and the alchemy system felt interesting and uh...useful, which in tw2...well, let's be serious, if you're using anything other than bombs you're wasting your time

It was interesting because it was close to what was in the books. There was big emphasis on rationalising magic, mages were kind of natural sciences scholars, lots of pseudo-scientific terminology etc. Also detailed descriptions of plants and their effects when consumed or used otherwise. Witchers were serious junkies and it was stated that it had serious detrimental effects on their health but hey, tough shit. No bombs or traps mentioned at all though, this is just CDP licentia poetica.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
That's one more thing I don't like about the second one. It was way too lore heavy on the books. The game assumes that everyone already bought all of the books and therefore it doesn't have to bother introducing a lot of the characters, locations and events to the player. Although I never read any of Sapkowski's work, I still managed to understand what the hell went on in the Witcher 1, but its second iteration was really confusing.

A game should be judged on its own merit, as should its plot. It shouldn't just be a circlejerk for people that get to see their favourite book characters rendered in 3D.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Eh, I haven't read Sapkowski either, but I think all major characters get good introductions in the game. There's the Codex or whatever its name is that you can use at any time, and there are books that tell you about important locations and events. It's just that the game dumps so much info on you in the first few hours that on the first playthrough you'll probably forget a lot of that. On the second playthrough many aspects of the story become much clearer, especially when you take a different path and get to see the other side of it. I do agree that there are a few instances where you meet a minor character that Geralt knows but the player doesn't, or Geralt knows something the player has no way of knowing, and that indeed kind of sucks because the player becomes just an observer at that point.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
That's one more thing I don't like about the second one. It was way too lore heavy on the books. The game assumes that everyone already bought all of the books and therefore it doesn't have to bother introducing a lot of the characters, locations and events to the player. Although I never read any of Sapkowski's work, I still managed to understand what the hell went on in the Witcher 1, but its second iteration was really confusing.

A game should be judged on its own merit, as should its plot. It shouldn't just be a circlejerk for people that get to see their favourite book characters rendered in 3D.

No. What the fuck. Get a brian.
The game has so little to do with the books, you can play without any knowledge and lose nothing. The plot relies mostly on CDP ideas, not borrowings from Sapkowski's novels. The characters and events are either a theatrical property, whose role is fully explained in game (important figures: kings, diplomat, sorceress, the great war with fantasy germans), or minor cameos to reward players knowing the books, not relevant for plot.

It's like someone said he don't get James Bond movies, because he didn't read any of the original novels.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron

No. What the fuck. Get a brian.
The game has so little to do with the books, you can play without any knowledge and lose nothing. The plot relies mostly on CDP ideas, not borrowings from Sapkowski's novels. The characters and events are either a theatrical property, whose role is fully explained in game (important figures: kings, diplomat, sorceress, the great war with fantasy germans), or minor cameos to reward players knowing the books, not relevant for plot.

It's like someone said he don't get James Bond movies, because he didn't read any of the original novels.

It didn't seem that way to me. Friends that had read the books all remarked how the second one took so much more from them. After more than a year I can't really remember any specific example, but that was definitely my impression. That and the whole lack of player control, in favor of a much more independent Geralt really diminished the game in my eyes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I haven't read any of the books, and I had no problem understanding anything in either game.

Actually, I found the first game more confusing and it's seems to assume you know who Dandelion and Zoltan are and does a terrible job introducing them. I didn't feel that way at all in the 2nd one.

Edit: Confusing isn't the right word, I just had a feeling of why should I care about these characters I just met. Especially as Zoltan is used to create sympathy for the non-humans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say the final chapter was maybe a little problematic in that respect. What is this council of mages everybody's concerned about, what's this Thanedd Island incident they're talking about and why should I care.

Oh, and I didn't get how the Lodge of Sorceresses was supposed to be this SUPER-SECRET big deal, either. It seemed weird to me that people in the game world were in shock by the fact that the sorceresses were conspiring. I mean, no shit!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom