Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a Digital Foundry video hyping a patch that improved the framerate, but as they show it went from drops into the teens to "only" drops into the low 20s. Wow!

It's a beast on PC at max settings too. They overshot current tech.

A horse of course

face is fine ffs.

Get your eyes checked ffs

How did we go from this

HbAlZXo.jpg

to THIS?????

ImxGYSE.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
It is not easy to say, but Remedy always sucked at level design. I tried Quantum Break and got a PTSD from bad industrial zones, similar to the bad industrial zones from Max Payne 1 and Alan Wake. Boring, generic, not fun.

Control is, like, the peak of bad level design. And these souls-like control points with enemies revived! WHY for fuck's sake, this is not FromSoftware's game it is Remedy game. Also everything you liked about this game, like lore, is stolen from SCP, so fuck it.

Everything Remedy made since Alan Wake’s American Nightmare (including Alan Wake’s American Nightmare) is a pure decline.

PrettyDeadman

It is not easy to say, but Remedy always sucked at level design. I tried Quantum Break and got a PTSD from bad industrial zones, similar to the bad industrial zones from Max Payne 1 and Alan Wake. Boring, generic, not fun.

Control is, like, the peak of bad level design. And these souls-like control points with enemies revived! WHY for fuck's sake, this is not FromSoftware's game it is Remedy game. Also everything you liked about this game, like lore, is stolen from SCP, so fuck it.

Everything Remedy made since Alan Wake’s American Nightmare (including Alan Wake’s American Nightmare) is a pure decline.
Not really...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I do think the constant enemy respawning (even if you leave the room and go right back in sometimes) is a big flaw of the game. I also think tough bosses with checkpoint saves a mile back is annoying as well. It's aping Dark Souls in a game type that doesn't suit itself to that kind of design, IMO. It doesn't work with a repetitive fast-paced shooter, especially when the respawns happen without your say-so... it just gets tiresome. However I don't think this has anything to do with level design. The level design is very good, as is the overall presentation.

Israfael

Arcane
Played through the foundation, it's mediocre in my opinion. The final boss is non-imaginative, to say the least (as compared to Essej or Tommasi-II, for example), there's only one seance of exorcism (granted, a funny one) and no new videos and so on. Just a lot of same-y corridors and some beautiful blocky vistas.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Played through the foundation, it's mediocre in my opinion. The final boss is non-imaginative, to say the least (as compared to Essej or Tommasi-II, for example), there's only one seance of exorcism (granted, a funny one) and no new videos and so on. Just a lot of same-y corridors and some beautiful blocky vistas.

I just started it after beating Doom Eternal. Not even sure why since I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but there's something compelling about Control even though I wouldn't say I enjoy playing it necessarily. I'd say the same thing of every game they've done since Max Payne 2, actually. Anyway, seeing a radically different environment is pretty cool so far, since the main game largely felt like the same thing over and over after a while. The new enemies seem annoying though, and don't play to the combat's strengths.

P.S. I still can't beat the mold boss. :(

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is garbage, why would anyone play it? Gameplay is horrible. I understand it's nice to look at pretty graphics, but that alone won't make me play it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished The Foundation. I liked it more than Israfael above, but at the end of the day it's just more Control in new environments, nothing mind-blowing. The transit sidequest was pretty cool, but also summarizes Control in both good and bad ways... great visuals and audio, cool tone and ideas, but often frustrating gameplay with no checkpoints or quick saves, which at 40 years old with a family is just annoying as hell. You die super easily in a game that makes you repeat a ton of shit when you die, including respawning enemies, which is just a recipe for annoyance. Still, it's cool enough in other ways to keep you pushing past the frustration to finish it, though I would never "100%" it.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
no checkpoints or quick saves, which at 40 years old with a family is just annoying as hell.
The game saves all the time. You just start the game at the last control point like in Dark Souls.

I wish it had difficulty levels. I'm too old for hard games.
Never stop sprinting and rush to the enemy to collect his health points.
Maybe you can active aim assisting in the options?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
no checkpoints or quick saves, which at 40 years old with a family is just annoying as hell.
The game saves all the time. You just start the game at the last control point like in Dark Souls.

I wish it had difficulty levels. I'm too old for hard games.
Never stop sprinting and rush to the enemy to collect his health points.
Maybe you can active aim assisting in the options?

I did activate it. It's fairly mandatory considering I'm not only playing on a gamepad, but also on Playstation Now with a slight input lag.

Still, the bosses kick my ass. I'm at the one before you are supposed to meet your brother or something. It's superbly difficult. I am focusing on sidequests as of now to improve my character, but I don't know if it will be enough to make up for the quick reflexes that are required.

This game is great. I'm loving the atmosphere, exploration, and combat. I'm just sad I will likely not be able to complete it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yes, I saw it saving here and there on the train. But when you have to start all over every time anyway, does it matter? No, it does not.

Can't imagine playing this game with streaming lag, btw. Though I can't imagine playing any shooter with it tbh.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I beat that boss. Now I am free to enjoy the game again.

Apparently, upgrading your character actually does something in this game, which is a shocker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom