Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Controller recommendations

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Update to my 8BitDo's SNES-clone controller, I've had it for about 11 months, and the thump sticks are crumbling, contacted their support about the spare parts, and they asked for a pic. Not sure if I had just a shit luck or if something has happened to the material, here's the pic:

9g1mQk6.jpg

You can clearly see the material coming off from the stick, they better send me replacement parts.

Eww. I'm glad that's just the cheap rubber disintegrating because at first glance I almost puked seeing this pic thinking it was your oily deposits and dead skin flakes on the sticks.

It's the rubber disintegrating, lol if my skin would be shedding like that.

The build quality of the controller otherwise is very good, so I wonder if the sticks are just shit material or if I had bad luck with them. Apparently you can replace the sticks with the PS4 sticks, so I'll order some of those, even though 8BitDo promised to send me replacements.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Update to my 8BitDo's SNES-clone controller, I've had it for about 11 months, and the thump sticks are crumbling, contacted their support about the spare parts, and they asked for a pic. Not sure if I had just a shit luck or if something has happened to the material, here's the pic:

9g1mQk6.jpg

You can clearly see the material coming off from the stick, they better send me replacement parts.

Eww. I'm glad that's just the cheap rubber disintegrating because at first glance I almost puked seeing this pic thinking it was your oily deposits and dead skin flakes on the sticks.

It's the rubber disintegrating, lol if my skin would be shedding like that.

The build quality of the controller otherwise is very good, so I wonder if the sticks are just shit material or if I had bad luck with them. Apparently you can replace the sticks with the PS4 sticks, so I'll order some of those, even though 8BitDo promised to send me replacements.

I was once looking for reviews of a certain gaming mouse on youtube and saw this video of an arab guy shooting extreme closeups in 1080p of his gaming mouse that he'd been using for a couple of years or so. It looked just your pic here, only it was oily deposits and dead skin flakes. My gorge rose and almost came vomiting out of my mouth, like something out of a Lucio Fulci italian horror movie. It's haunted me ever since.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
8BitDo sent me new thump sticks, two pairs, so I have now new ones + one spare set. The new ones feels like they have been made from slightly different material, hopefully these ones lasts longer, as the controller is pretty damn good otherwise.

8BitDo have released new controller, this one:
https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

I'm generally not fan of Playstation controller's shape, but that could be a very good controller.

6116IhlIHrL._SL1500_.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
8BitDo sent me new thump sticks, two pairs, so I have now new ones + one spare set. The new ones feels like they have been made from slightly different material, hopefully these ones lasts longer, as the controller is pretty damn good otherwise.

I'm generally not fan of Playstation controller's shape, but that could be a very good controller.

6116IhlIHrL._SL1500_.jpg
Would you recommend this instead of the controllers people ususally use. Like the Xbox/Logitech/Razor etc controllers? So is this something unique and high quality?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

6116IhlIHrL._SL1500_.jpg
Would you recommend this instead of the controllers people ususally use. Like the Xbox/Logitech/Razor etc controllers? So is this something unique and high quality?

SN30Pro+ is very configurable, which some people might like. At least the 8BitDo controller I've used is very good, I don't have much experience with Logitech or Razor controllers, or with XBoner controller, but the D-Pad on 8BitDo controllers is very good, almost the same as in SNES pad. You can probably find reviews of the controller from online and youtube.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I use a Logitech F310 because it was like $15 and had a good d-pad, which is all I care about. I only use controllers for 2D platformers and Tetris type shit.

Curratum

I've been using an x360 for over 350 hours of Street Fighter 5, which means basically a lot of abuse of the dpad, and my kid's been using it for another couple hundred hours on Lego the Hobbit or whatever, using the analog sticks. Still feels and responds like a brand new unit, which I guess more or less justifies the price.

My go to controller for years on PC for emulation (2001-05) was Sidewinder with it's shitty d-pad. But it had a six button layout. Then I switched to N64 with an adapter. Again, six button layout and way better d-pad. Used that for over 7 years. Beat the old good original Spelunky with it. Then, got a shitty wired official 360 controller that sucked dick. DS3 for playstation never worked reliably and never wireless. Then, in 2013 I got a wii u pro controller. 12 bucks at best buy. I should've bought 4 of those motherfuckers. Used it with the mayflash adapter for years. The biggest problem it had was that if you used default 360 control schemes in newer pc games the buttons were flipped. This only is a problem with games that use a visual diamond on screen like a QTE. Why would I play a game with QTE? NO DOPEY ANALOG TRIGGERS. Battery life is godlike. Weeks of serious fucking play. PS4 controller evaporates in your hand.

Now, I got one of these new SN30 controllers and I'm still breaking it in. Still a little dry. Gotta get a bit more duck butter on th' pune. Imagine roomier PS4 grip with classic snes d-pad and button feel. Feels like select and start could be way further apart. Haven't played anything modern with right analog stick controls so who knows. It passes the Contra test though. You can aim diagonally down and run to the right. You can jump forward and aim straight down while still moving. You can quickly duck and not accidentally move while shooting. It has one of those USB C hose holes that can go in either direction. There is apparently a pc program that lets you tweak a bunch of bullshit on the controller but who uses that kinda shit? It's like these mouse programs with tons of presets and macros. Buncha bullshit for queers. It has proprietary screws so you can't open it up easily. It's got a good modern rechargeable battery and also accepts AAs if you are a dumbass little kid. Mostly used it on PC even though I mainly bought it for Mario Maker 2. Wireless sync on Switch is finicky the first time. I could never get the bluetooth shit to register on my PC.

I've never liked any of the Sega 6-button deals. Everybody's always blowin' a load about the Saturn d-pad. US and Japan versions both stink.

For racing wheel I bought a used G27 years ago and have probably used it 20 times total. It's like a really nice rifle with paddle shifters.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
My go to controller for years on PC for emulation (2001-05) was Sidewinder with it's shitty d-pad. But it had a six button layout. Then I switched to N64 with an adapter. Again, six button layout and way better d-pad. Used that for over 7 years. Beat the old good original Spelunky with it. Then, got a shitty wired official 360 controller that sucked dick. DS3 for playstation never worked reliably and never wireless. Then, in 2013 I got a wii u pro controller. 12 bucks at best buy. I should've bought 4 of those motherfuckers. Used it with the mayflash adapter for years. The biggest problem it had was that if you used default 360 control schemes in newer pc games the buttons were flipped. This only is a problem with games that use a visual diamond on screen like a QTE. Why would I play a game with QTE? NO DOPEY ANALOG TRIGGERS. Battery life is godlike. Weeks of serious fucking play. PS4 controller evaporates in your hand.

Now, I got one of these new SN30 controllers and I'm still breaking it in. Still a little dry. Gotta get a bit more duck butter on th' pune. Imagine roomier PS4 grip with classic snes d-pad and button feel. Feels like select and start could be way further apart. Haven't played anything modern with right analog stick controls so who knows. It passes the Contra test though. You can aim diagonally down and run to the right. You can jump forward and aim straight down while still moving. You can quickly duck and not accidentally move while shooting. It has one of those USB C hose holes that can go in either direction. There is apparently a pc program that lets you tweak a bunch of bullshit on the controller but who uses that kinda shit? It's like these mouse programs with tons of presets and macros. Buncha bullshit for queers. It has proprietary screws so you can't open it up easily. It's got a good modern rechargeable battery and also accepts AAs if you are a dumbass little kid. Mostly used it on PC even though I mainly bought it for Mario Maker 2. Wireless sync on Switch is finicky the first time. I could never get the bluetooth shit to register on my PC.

I've never liked any of the Sega 6-button deals. Everybody's always blowin' a load about the Saturn d-pad. US and Japan versions both stink.

For racing wheel I bought a used G27 years ago and have probably used it 20 times total. It's like a really nice rifle with paddle shifters.

My older SN30Pro has torx 4 or 5 (T4 or T5) screws on it, I wonder if the new one has those too.

PrettyDeadman

6116IhlIHrL._SL1500_.jpg
WTF that controller is fucking TINY:
CobPMLY.jpg

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just ordered a EasySMX ESM-9100 game controller from Ali Express. It cost only 15.99 $ including shipping and so far has worked like a charm. Works immediately with both emulators and PC games. Just connect USB, Windows will automatically install the needed software in 10 seconds and you're ready to start playing. Very good build quality, feels good to hold and looks cool as well. There's also a wireless version available at a higher price point. Highly recommended.

I tried this with Dirt 2.0 just now. The controller worked perfectly from the get-go - no need to change controller settings at all. Triggers and analog sticks work perfectly, very responsive controls. Has vibration and everything. I'm actually amazed how well the controller just immediately works with all games without a need to change any settings.

edit: After using for two weeks, still satisfied with the controller. Dark Souls works like a charm without making any changes to settings. CrossCode works perfectly from the get-go. Only game that didn't recognize the controller straight away was a heavily ripped version of Rollcage Stage 2 - it would have been a miracle if it had worked with the controller. I tried it with PCSX2 and I'm loving playing SSX3 and Shadow of the Colossus with the controller - vibration effects and all work perfectly. Works with ZNES & Super Metroid as well.

I've been using this controller for over a year now and wanted to give an update on my experience with it.

- Played A Plaque Tale: Innocence and FFXII: Zodiac Age with this controller - both work perfectly, with shock effects and all. I didn't need to change any settings, the games started using the controller automatically when I connected it to my computer.
- Finished Super Mario 3 on Nestopia using this controller: works perfectly. Really smooth control. Change input to a controller, remap the keys and it works immediately without issues.
- Learned to wall jump like a god in Super Metroid (SNES9x) using this controller. Change input to a controller, remap the keys and it works immediately without issues.
- Sturdy and durable. Have dropped it many times and it's fine.
- I haven't had any connection or driver issues. Connect it to USB port and it starts working immediately. Although it seems it prefers to be connected to the same port I initially connected it to - if I connect it to another USB it sometimes doesn't work straight away. But reinstalling would surely let you change the USB port.
- Have tried the controller on a desktop PC and on a laptop. Works without any issues on both systems.

"It Just Works!"

Highly recommend this controller to anyone who doesn't want to waste money unnecessarily on an XBOX controller or some other ridiculously overpriced controller.

Here's a link to buy straight from the manufacturer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Last edited:

Squidhead

Educated
The thing I love about the Logitec f310 is that I can swap the dpad and analog controls on the fly. This is great for games that lock directional controls to the analog stick. This is usually an issue when it comes to some 2d platformers, shmups or retro rehash stuff. Anyway, it's nice to have the option as the f310's analogs are a little loosey goosey at times.

I also think it's worth pointing out that the wireless version f710 is superior in every way (rumbles nicely, perfect weight, the triggers feel good) except that the wireless fucking sucks. Sometimes it just becomes unresponsive or sluggish and just kills the whole mood. It's untrustworthy.

If they could just make a wired version of the f710 I'd be set for life...

Pegultagol

Erudite
I have Xbox One pad and Rumblepad 2, which is predecessor to F510. The logi pads are all discontinued where I live. Actually I think it's a good idea to have multiple gamepads and swap between them occasionally... it helped when going thru Celeste, even that mushy wobbly disk excuse of d-pad on the Rumblepad allowed me to adapt to a different grip and helped alleviate some fatigue.

Also had Microsoft Sidewinder, probably decent for emulation and fighting games but it had Gameport connection so no luck there.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I reinstalled MAME and fired up some serious SNES stuff. That's a goldmine. I've been thinking of using a USB controller (Win10) with MAME. Could any of you guys give me any pointers as to what to buy? I don't want to make some stupid purchases [I'm doing this instead of buying a PS5, so that's one avoided already!]

Learned
Your safest bet is a One S Controller or the older Xbox One Controller if you can find one as far as compatibility goes. Dualshocks and third party stuff like Logitech just feel flimsy to me.

I wouldn't bother with bluetooth connection or Microsoft's propriety receiver. Just use a cable. IIRC you need type C instead of micro USB for the One S controllers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom