Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

grimace

Arcane
Looks good, When is supposed to be released?

Copper Dreams will release when it's "finished" (probably). Consistent alpha releases to test leading up to beta tests before a "launch" Soon ™ .

I no longer plan my schedule around product launches.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
5ASKaKK.png

Apparently a new mission was added

buffalo bill

Arcane
Def agree that the gfx look good now, but I still prefer the crazier looking Moebius-like look from earlier. Maybe I can petition Hannah and Joe to add an option to toggle the insane visuals for freaks like me (if it's not too hard for them—and it looks maybe as easy as radically jiggering with some color and contrast settings).

Mustawd

All artstyle joking aside this is all looking pretty damn good, nice to see things are coming together.

Whalenought_Joe I haven't played the alpha but some quick feedback from this video:

1. I'd revisit the font selection. IMO, most of the font used throughout the game is too skinny. At first glance there is room to thicken the font slightly IMO. I think this is especially the case at the bottom with the greyed out font. You have some gray boxes below, and and a black background. The skinny font tends to kinda recede in the background. Again, just thickening it up or choosing a slightly less skinny font would help IMO. But I like the overall look of it.

2. Speaking of fonts, I feel the title screen font is a bit unfinished. I know you have other higher priorities, but wanted to give my thoughts anyhow. Overall, I feel like I know where you're going with it, but it just is missing some things. To me it almost feels like it wants to be a gritty take on comic book font. It reminds me of a combination of a few different sources. However, I feel like it's a bit too rounded off, and needs some grit textures to match some of the overall UI of the game. I'm posting some fonts that your game reminds me of. I think Cyberpunk font seems to evoke some of the same stylized points ur trying to hit with yours.

They're very different, but I like the font, and I wanted to post it as a cool example of stylized fonts for the genre. I think the Warlash title font is a good example of what I mean by adding some grimy textures here and there. Obviously, you dno't wan tto over do it, but a bit would help to marry it with the cool textured UI you have going on. You do have a bit, but I think it can be taken a bit further. Also, I think squaring off the font juuuust a bit might help.

Sorry, I know this talking of fonts is super ticky tacky, but it's some of the stuff I'm noticing right off the bat.

DhRwDIfWAAAMgWn.jpg
warlash_zombie_mutant_genesis_promo_ad.jpg

3. Something about the graphics is giving me some depth perception problems. In between buildings it's sometimes hard to discern if I'm on a different floor and where structures are at. A good example for me is at 1:08 of the above video. Maybe, it's different in-game, so I might take a look at it tomorrow. But form the clip I'm having a hard time understanding if I'm on the second floor looking down or if I'm on the same level as the enemies, or what. Maybe playing with shadows darkness might help a bit? I'll try to play a bit tomorrow and see if it improves in-game.

EDIT:

4. I also noticed that there seem to be only two forms of feedback when guards notice you. That's auditory and the upper left hand radar screen. I don't think it's enough tbh. Some ppl like to play with other outside game music and might miss the auditory cue. Also, I think just improving the visual cues would help. Maybe since the upper left hand is like a radar screen, make it ping (visually) when a guard notices you? I think that'd be helpful as a further cue to let the player know. There might be other ways, but I just wanted to point out it seems to be a bit lacking.

EDIT2: Oh wait, there's a ! or ? above a guards head? I dunno...it seems to be applied real inconsistently. Also increase the size of the !/?. Should be like 3 times bigger IMO. Depending on how it all works with multiple enemies. My eyesight sucks and right now Im struggling to tell if it's a ! or a ? above his head.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mustawd. About 3.) From looking at the video, the problem seems to be shadows. Or rather, the lack thereof. Some objects that should throw a shadow simply don't and that makes it harder to tell where exactly they are.

Whalenought_Joe Shadows are important, mhkay?

Diggfinger

Arcane
Looks good, When is supposed to be released?
Soon (TM)

Soon means less than a year?

I've played the Alpha thoroughly and have written an impressions article, which I will upload as soon as the version 1.1 is out.

The game has alot of potential, but my biggest concern indeed is that it needs alot of time still to be complete. I would hope it's given at least another year of development time.

Daniel Pacheco

Educated
I've played the Alpha thoroughly and have written an impressions article, which I will upload as soon as the version 1.1 is out.

The game has alot of potential, but my biggest concern indeed is that it needs alot of time still to be complete. I would hope it's given at least another year of development time.

How most I see most Is want to try it.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
TBH the game's artstyle doesn't look too good, and the UI is bland at best. No idea why they went with that sort of art direction.

But if the combat's fun and there's enough C&C, it could end up being a gem.

Deleted Member 16721

It will probably be a gem, Whalenought is cool, true old-school gamers and they made SitS, which while I haven't played extensively is about as old-school CRPG as you can get. They are good devs for just a 2 person team.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
TBH the game's artstyle doesn't look too good, and the UI is bland at best. No idea why they went with that sort of art direction.

But if the combat's fun and there's enough C&C, it could end up being a gem.

What bother me it's combat looking clunky, like too short distances for too big figures, with too thick beams.
Remember these JA2 bullets flying through whole screen before hit someone in the head?
Something like that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, there is one obscure Russian sci-fi that used same idea about brainz, it was social sci-fi about future and place of a people in it, strangely the more time passe the more I remember it because of its prophetic prediction. Very strange indeed.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I love that style.
I don't think the brains thing was just for the Russians though. Did Twilight Zone have an episode about that? I know there was a short story about it as well. Brain in a jar scenario.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom