Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Deleted Member 16721

I'm still right.

Even if it's designed to break because alpha it can still work against the devs. The game could be meme-ified before it even hits beta and ruin some sales from people expecting a full game when it's still in alpha. If you can't see how this can potentially backfire then I don't know what to tell you. Not saying it will, but it can.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We’ve talked about items plenty before, and now that we’re rolling into the beta we are finishing off their implementation and making the time to get them to the level of polish they deserve.

First thing we did is give the 3d objects you see in world and in your inventory a neat outline. This isn’t just a boring uniform one, but one where we can adjust the size of the outline based on the models, giving it a much more hand-drawn feel to match the rest of the HUD and game. We also have functionality with that outline for durability (described below).

To summarize our design for items — they’ll drop plentifully, be found on bodies from what they were carrying, or be in chests and drawers, but you’ll only want to take what you need to resupply. Only specific items can be sold, so you’ll be more often finding money, restocking ammunition that you can utilize, and other utility items to keep going like medical kits, duct tape for repairs, etc. Abstractly, we want it to feel like scrounging for survival and have designed around that.

Durability
So why bother providing tons of weapons that drop from enemies if you only can carry and need the 1 good gun? Things happen, and items deteriorate with misuse, like using your gun like a hammer with the melee attack action, or rolling a critical fail on use.

So visually we wanted a way to show that off without just reading a number or overlaying a 2d image of cracks or something stupid over the item. These are the 3d items you pick up and use after all, why not just change that. So we have 4 colored outlines on the item itself.

Here’s a very cool diagram:

The broken item will either be a broken shattered version or just a different color outline, either way mechanically speaking the player won’t be able to access its actions beyond just throwing it.

You might be thinking that you don’t want to have to inspect items to see the durability, and oh boy, don’t worry about that because you can just check out what everyone’s working with right on the HUD:

What about that weapon you really love? You can go to repair shops and drag in items to repair them for Wondoons (the colonies cash currency), or if you come across some maintenance tape you can repair items up a durability level yourself. Just like in real life, duct tape can solve most issues, pending you remember where you put it last. Plus we think the idea of your gang just duct taping all their gear is wonderful.

Next for Items
So the Items Part 2 post will come before the beta, and will include the following additions after we’ve implemented the remaining things needed:

• Picking up items inside your inventory will subtly tilt them downward, as if you’re actually grabbing them. These are 3d items, we should be making the most out of that visually.
  • An improved tooltip for the items, featuring easier to read information. Right now it’s a lot to unpack visually, so we’d like to get a cleaner layout going
  • Nested bags — possibly not for the beta, but we’ll eventually get these in for the near future.
  • More weapon types — right now we have a bunch of utility items, pistols, SMGs, some stocked items, 1-Hand edge and some light impact items. We’d like to have all item types available for the beta, or namely the alpha death match maps for testing.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I was looking for new info and found a video of the alpha from April. The player is having trouble with the ladder.

Can someone doing alpha testing confirm whether this game is turning into vaporware?

Ninjerk

Arcane
That video looks like there's a companion somewhere, but I didn't notice him.
How does companion management work?
IIRC you just click on their portrait. It's simultaneous turn-based, so you can plot actions out for multiple party members and then roll the mousewheel to move time forward in very granular increments. Those little squares on the ground are steps.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
IIRC you just click on their portrait. It's simultaneous turn-based, so you can plot actions out for multiple party members and then roll the mousewheel to move time forward in very granular increments. Those little squares on the ground are steps.
So they dropped idea of AI controlled companions?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't remember being aware that was in the cards, but I honestly hardly remember the original pitch at this point. In the alpha you can control two different characters.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I don't remember being aware that was in the cards, but I honestly hardly remember the original pitch at this point. In the alpha you can control two different characters.

It wasn't in the original pitch, but something that came up on one of the updates back in 2017.

The goal for party members in combat is still to be able to dictate their positions and target areas to encourage flanking, cover, and coordinating attacks. Sort of like the Brothers in Arms (as a random reference) screaming directions thing at squads, just optionally during your turn and with more precise options. But yeah, getting rid of full party control wasn't an easy choice to make, that's what we started with. We just found micromanaging too many characters was taking away the enjoyment of syncing strategies if it wasn't cohesive while you were doing it.

They’ll otherwise still fill the role of ‘party members’ though, have inventories, Aptitude abilities and their own character goals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom