Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You read some article and then wanted to be a big boy and preach how much you know.
Unfortunately your wiki degree didn't make you nearly qualified enough. :(
Or you are a pathetic newfag trying too hard. Probably a 2nd semester CS student if you think somehow this is obscure academic knowledge you have.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's only really true in TB systems where resolution immediately follows declaration in a character's turn tho. And even then, in Shadowrun for instance since people can get such high reaction times thanks to cyberware and magic, a combat round is divided in further chunks and grenades only go off after the last turn of the next chunk (or on the thrower's turn if he has enough initiative to act on multiple rounds).

That's in pen and paper though. I haven't seen a TB implementation of that in a PC game before. Is that how the genesis game was?

roshan

Arcane
Opposite.. In Shadowrun the Characters are 3D, The maps are "2D". (All the walls and tiles are 2D Images with an isometric perspective to trick you, there is no Depth to those images)

This is not correct. Enable "perspective projection" in the options menu.....

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This is not correct. Enable "perspective projection" in the options menu.....

Yea I guess so.. This is what I meant.

===

Technically the map objects are 3D (Everything in Unity is "3D").. the engine has 0 support for an actual meaningful Y Axis though (You can't simulate Height) AKA a truly 3D map.
There is a lot of hodge podging going on..

When you create an asset, you create 2 - 4 Images that represent 4 perspectives, It seems like this texture is auto mapped to a mesh using a configuration file:

The game is not true 3D though. You can only view these rendered meshes from 4 angles..
anything else would have a retarded slanted look.

Of course the textures are applied to "3D Objects" but the game is not "3D" (Again we have no height logic other then some lame hacks for detecting cover).. if you fire the editor and look at a map, it's all flat laid out.

3PHju-OLS6VXkCD_QgnVWreawITxQRuKKDNZe77t9dl03CXZ6F_LYCxalNaDM3h-IhbpAAA7s0wdSv-oZJ0NhETQ9NZ9bVYyXFX0Nj4_xT-TsGZDU9yxDNNN

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah the mega drive game is nothing like that. HBS games should have been but...
The complexity of SR rules does not allow a quick implementation.
This is not DnD, which can be implemented far more easily.

I am very sure that they would not have had the time to implement the full ruleset in the first game.

And even if they did... would the SR ruleset work in a game unmodified?
Some people have/had problems with the simplified rules of D&D in the IE games. And I doubt that HBS was aiming at the rules-knowing hardcore crowd only ;)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The complexity of SR rules does not allow a quick implementation.
This is not DnD, which can be implemented far more easily.

I am very sure that they would not have had the time to implement the full ruleset in the first game.

And even if they did... would the SR ruleset work in a game unmodified?
Some people have/had problems with the simplified rules of D&D in the IE games. And I doubt that HBS was aiming at the rules-knowing hardcore crowd only ;)
Men you post that on the thread of a development team consisting of a dude and a chick that made a crpg with far greater scope than any of the HBS games. I am sure they could manage.

Your last point however is too real. Everything is shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everything is shit.
How comes every one of your posts could be summarized like this?

Men you post that on the thread of a development team consisting of a dude and a chick that made a crpg with far greater scope than any of the HBS games. I am sure they could manage.
Greater scope in content, not in ruleset. That is a significant difference, especially from the programming side.
I'm not saying they could not achieve that, and I hope that some day someone will, but it has to be worthwhile for the one doing it. And how many additional people would buy a game just because it has a faithful implementation of ruleset XY? Enough?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Making CRPGs isn't worthwile.

And I'd consider it a lot more trouble for designers to create content that makes good use of the in-depth systems than it is for programmers to implement it. Shadowrun is mechanical enough that it should be simple to translate.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Greater scope in content, not in ruleset. That is a significant difference, especially from the programming side.

In what way are the HBS games greater in scope than SITS in terms of ruleset? I think SITS actually has a significantly more complex ruleset than Dragonfall, especially from the programming side. For fuck's sake, you are comparing a proper CRPG with a simplistic tablet game.

In fact the Shadowrun games have an extremely simple ruleset - abilities use is regulated by cooldowns (simplest way you could do it - no resource management required), only 2 AP per turn (unlike games that require you to weigh actions against each other in terms of AP cost), player turns are taken at the same time (as opposed to having each unit's turn order calculated by some sort of initiative system). The combat system in Shadowrun is actually the very simplest and most basic implementation of turn based combat you could possibly think of. SITS has a more complex combat system, RTWP, a more complex system of ability use (you can "equip" multiple combat techniques on the same character, and each combat technique can be developed with skill points), a more complex spell system (with variable casting speed, plus recurring effects based on procing every certain number of seconds, furthermore, spells become more powerful based on both skill investments and attribute increases). On the other hand, spells in Shadowrun have fixed effects, and cannot be improved - you replace your "fire 1" spell with the "fire 2".

Of course, Shadowrun has the matrix and rigging. But SITS has the harbinger skill, the nobility skill, incantations from linguistics (including the ability to steal), and woodwise which can be used to lay traps, plus alchemy for making potions. And it has multiple means of attack (bladed weapons, heavy weapons, crossbows, bows, elixirs, whips) - which each use different combat techniques, and can be trained with use.

Going further, there's no real inventory in Shadowrun and items you pick up are magically stashed to base. Damn thing didn't even have a save system upon release. There's no world map, everything is mission based, therefore there is no issue of persistency of maps, units, shop inventories, very few quest variables to keep track of. Serpent in the Staglands has a huge, persistent, open world, a travellable worldmap like Fallout, and your actions in one place have repercussions on other areas of the world.

Come to think of it - How in the world did two people get all this done on a shoestring budget, an actual full fledged RPG, while big developers raising millions end up producing a series of glorified tablet games??? It's mind-boggling.

aratuk

Cipher
So… when do we start throwing money at Whalenought? Kickstarter in January, hmm, February?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It would have looked p. distinctive with the 2D dudes on 3D enviroments. Oh well.

yeah I know. Unfortunately they were running into issues with shadows and environmental interaction animations, thus the switch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom