Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #22: Visual and Interface Improvements, Death Events

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well.... in my taste a little bit too abstract style.. like, eh, abstrac.

Deleted Member 22431

Indie graphic whore wars ITT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Looks great

Agree. I still think it looks good, although I prefer their last version.

I’m pretty shocked a few ppl ITT wanted the kickstarter pitch artstyle. That shit was ugly af. Glad the devs are going with their own vision instead of the opinions of 4-5 people on the codex.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks great

Agree. I still think it looks good, although I prefer their last version.

I’m pretty shocked a few ppl ITT wanted the kickstarter pitch artstyle. That shit was ugly af. Glad the devs are going with their own vision instead of the opinions of 4-5 people on the codex.
I think it's better than the first style I agree, but far worse than the 3rd (?) or so graphical style they had.

Hard to keep count as it's gone through so many visual overhauls.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
this particular pixel-graphics art style is interesting (conceptually) but IMHO in practice it resembles "shitty encoding" more than "avant garde"

in other words, the end result looks more like a 144p youtube video of poorly drawn characters, rather than some kind of legitimately abstract cel-shaded style... and id wager that has more to do with the rendering method than the assets themselves - but who knows

Ninjerk

Arcane
Bleh. The old low poly stuff looked great and nostalgic, reminiscent of PSX era games. The new style just looks awfully bad, akin to lousy indie mobile games, to the point I'd never back the game if I saw it looking like that.
For perspective, I liked the original style when I saw it, and the original redesign eventually grew on me. I would much prefer they continue to iterate and fine tune the game, as I think they have the ability to turn out something really great (or, worst case scenario, a daring and disappointing experiment). Time will tell, but we've seen where multi-million dollar nostalgia trips take us and I've found myself mostly unimpressed--YMMV. These two asked for an extremely modest 40,000 dollars and flipped fixer-upper homes in what I presume to be one of the craziest real estate markets in the continental United States to make this game. I'm willing to give them all the rope they could ever need if hanging themselves is what they ultimately do.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Bleh. The old low poly stuff looked great and nostalgic, reminiscent of PSX era games. The new style just looks awfully bad, akin to lousy indie mobile games, to the point I'd never back the game if I saw it looking like that.
For perspective, I liked the original style when I saw it, and the original redesign eventually grew on me. I would much prefer they continue to iterate and fine tune the game, as I think they have the ability to turn out something really great (or, worst case scenario, a daring and disappointing experiment). Time will tell, but we've seen where multi-million dollar nostalgia trips take us and I've found myself mostly unimpressed--YMMV. These two asked for an extremely modest 40,000 dollars and flipped fixer-upper homes in what I presume to be one of the craziest real estate markets in the continental United States to make this game. I'm willing to give them all the rope they could ever need if hanging themselves is what they ultimately do.
Well, I absolutely agree with your motives, but I just see it differently. To me they struck gold, aiming for the low poly nostalgia instead of just clinging to pixelart that just grew stale lately. Even more so, as I can't really point any single title that went for that exact Vagrant Story/Resident Evil look. I saw it as a perfect mix of indie asset making capability and neo-classical rpg presentation. Absolutely worth investing in.

But now, with all the blurry pseudo cel shading, completely not suited for low resolution graphics, the game looks like trying to run Borderlands on S3 Virge card. As creators, they are, of course, free to choose presentation of their liking, I however am not willing to pay for their gestalt visual experiment because, while running Alfons Mucha through Super2xSal might be artsy, it's also completely irrelevant to me and my PSX gaming memories.

And honestly, I actually play artsy games, they're just ages behind titles like Kentucy Route Zero, Another World, Abzu, Journey, Witness, Firewatch or Aer.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Well, I absolutely agree with your motives, but I just see it differently. To me they struck gold, aiming for the low poly nostalgia instead of just clinging to pixelart that just grew stale lately. Even more so, as I can't really point any single title that went for that exact Vagrant Story/Resident Evil look. I saw it as a perfect mix of indie asset making capability and neo-classical rpg presentation. Absolutely worth investing in.

But now, with all the blurry pseudo cel shading, completely not suited for low resolution graphics, the game looks like trying to run Borderlands on S3 Virge card. As creators, they are, of course, free to choose presentation of their liking, I however am not willing to pay for their gestalt visual experiment because, while running Alfons Mucha through Super2xSal might be artsy, it's also completely irrelevant to me and my PSX gaming memories.

And honestly, I actually play artsy games, they're just ages behind titles like Kentucy Route Zero, Another World, Abzu, Journey, Witness, Firewatch or Aer.
You say you agree with my motives, but I don't think you've understood them (I've bolded what I believe to be the discrepancies). I'm far more interested in the gameplay than the art style--if the fact that I've weighed in on it seems to speak to that being the issue I care about it's because it's what has mostly been discussed lately in a vacuum of gameplay (until hopefully soon).

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

You say you agree with my motives, but I don't think you've understood them (I've bolded what I believe to be the discrepancies). I'm far more interested in the gameplay than the art style--if the fact that I've weighed in on it seems to speak to that being the issue I care about it's because it's what has mostly been discussed lately in a vacuum of gameplay (until hopefully soon).

Well, to me your motive was supporting the humble indie devs that cashed all-in on their dream. And I agree with that, I simply don't believe in giving money to someone who decides to use it for fireplace fuel, and the new artsy direction looks like a pipe dream to me, whereas the original actually looked like something that sells. Not to even mention all the "That's not what I paid for" factors, typical for KS.

Talking about miscommunication, you also bundle all the "nostalgias" into one bag as if "3rd reich nostalgia" equated, say, vaporwave. I think I made a distinct note that I found their particular take on the issue actually genuine and original, unlike majority of the BG/pixelart/8bit/platformer shannanigans we've seen lately. It just so happens, what they shown in KS was mostly graphic in nature, and as for mechanics, I don't really miss the old clunky systems of ye olden days. I'd even argue newer systems are always better, until they don't reinvent the wheel. That's why Pathfinder>PoE, yet the presentation of class progression via level charts, or text tool tips, were welcome upgrades over stuff that worked in the first place. It's the "streamlining" and "broadening the audience" that kills mechanics, not progress.

Last edited:

this game ui looks like it was made before I was born.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom