Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Could it be "possible" to replace consoles with nerfed PCs?

PorkBarrellGuy

There might be room for improvement with the keyboard part of the equation. There are (or were, anyway) specialized programmable controllers designed to supplant the keyboard for most non-typing functions in any given game. I imagine they simply didn't catch on because of costs and because when you get down to the nitty gritty a decent keyboard is usually good enough. The mouse, however, is an amazing input device and pretty much every upgrade to it tends to consist of finding ways to slap more buttons on the damn thing. The mousewheel and the transition to optical were probably the last major upgrades to the mouse as an input device. Everything since has pretty much been win-more.
Negative.

Making a wireless mouse that actually doesn't suck is also a MAJOR improvement. Things like the Razer Mamba or Logitech G900.

Have they actually done that? I mean, last I knew wireless mice relied on Bluetooth which tends to result in awful input lag.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There might be room for improvement with the keyboard part of the equation. There are (or were, anyway) specialized programmable controllers designed to supplant the keyboard for most non-typing functions in any given game. I imagine they simply didn't catch on because of costs and because when you get down to the nitty gritty a decent keyboard is usually good enough. The mouse, however, is an amazing input device and pretty much every upgrade to it tends to consist of finding ways to slap more buttons on the damn thing. The mousewheel and the transition to optical were probably the last major upgrades to the mouse as an input device. Everything since has pretty much been win-more.
Negative.

Making a wireless mouse that actually doesn't suck is also a MAJOR improvement. Things like the Razer Mamba or Logitech G900.

Have they actually done that? I mean, last I knew wireless mice relied on Bluetooth which tends to result in awful input lag.

Dafuq?

It is nearly impossible to even FIND a Bluetooth mouse these days. Logitech is pretty much the only one that still makes them (unless you count the MS Surface Mouse) Believe me, I tried to find one, sucks to give up a usb port on a laptop.

They nearly all use proprietary receiver dongles, and always have. The difference is some of them have gotten good recently. The feeling of not having a cable dragging accross the desk all the time=HEAVAN.

The Decline

Arcane
Negative.

The newer Logitech wireless mice are very good.

PorkBarrellGuy

Dafuq?

It is nearly impossible to even FIND a Bluetooth mouse these days. Logitech is pretty much the only one that still makes them (unless you count the MS Surface Mouse) Believe me, I tried to find one, sucks to give up a usb port on a laptop.

They nearly all use proprietary receiver dongles, and always have. The difference is some of them have gotten good recently. The feeling of not having a cable dragging accross the desk all the time=HEAVAN.

Huh, interesting. I was actually under the impression that those little dongles were Bluetooth-based. I have a couple-years-old Logitech M510 I chiefly used for my laptop, and while I didn't really do any gaming on that laptop I could still feel what I thought was a bit of input lag.

Regarding cables, I don't usually have an issue with my mouse cable. Might be due to the way my desk is and where my computer sits, idk.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The G900 is the best mouse I have ever used, owned or even seen. Most reviews I've read agree. Usually they say some shit about "personal preference there is no winner hurr durr" but not on this one. And there is zero difference between wired and wireless mode.

It's one of those devices where the marketing shits realised it's too perfect and you'd never upgrade if you owned one. So it was promptly discontinued and replaced by something slightly worse and more expensive that needs an even more expensive accessory to work (G903).

tritosine2k

Erudite
Timely thought by op., even though nerfed isn't the good word there - keep guessing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom