Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Title

• OP is a gigantic fag

Votes: 163 48.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • Of course, Torment as a series has always been shit, its expected.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Nah, the pissbaby butthurt gigameltdown would cause legions of self ejections

Votes: 31 9.2%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 93 27.7%

• Total voters

Black Angel

Arcane
Numenera is about nothing, therefore cannot be worthy successor to P:T, because said game was set in a setting that was about something.
I've read on Numenera from the wikia and the website, but still can't quite grasp on what you mean by this. Although I could simply go to Prime Junta's review on this (which I've read few months ago but entirely forgot about it), maybe you have another say on this matter, so would you kindly elaborate further?

Yeah, with the DC which came an year later. Different scenario.
1. I don't know much about WL2 on consoles besides the shitty UI they forced on PC as well. Besides the game's UI, I suspect the game could have more content changed because of performance issue, but we'll never know what and how much was changed because of consoles without a whistleblower or something. All we have is confirmation bias in case something smells consolized in the final game.
Yeah, that makes sense. Especially since Prime Junta actually elaborated on point 1 of my question in this thread. What's funny, however, is that inXile managed to fuck up the UI in Wasteland 2: Director's Cut for PC, anyway.

The game had been delayed for many times, however, so that could be assumed as either they are polishing the game so it could be an actual (I don't know, cRPG? Torment-successor/sequel? Infinity Engine?) experience.... or actually trying to work the game so it would work on console.

That's a fairly minor point, the real setting problem is one best explained by Prime Junta in his review of the torment splatbook for the numenera pnp.
I remembered reading that review months ago, but somehow entirely forgot about it. Gotta read on it, later. Thanks.

2. No idea. Makes no sense, if you ask me. Could be to avoid performance issues (first beta ran like shit, imagine how bad it was even earlier in development), or maybe because it makes combat much harder to balance. Both, perhaps.

3. Firing the Project Director is a pretty big deal, and AFAIK he was responsible for putting the KS together, including the people to work on it. We don't know what happened there, though.

5. Since this is something we've all seen beforehand, it won't be a disappointment. Although MCA also said recently that Numenera doesn't have as much freedom as Planescape.
I prefer Planescape by a mile, but I think in some aspects most people don't expect TTON to be as good or better than PST. This might be one of them.

6. Yeah, that stuff is shitty writing no matter the positions being promoted. This happens to be extremely heavy handed in Numenera, and most TTON devs are hardcore SJWs.
Fair enough.

4. I'm the only one bringing that up as a concern. :lol: The vast majority of the Codex favours TB and campaigned for it during the combat poll. My main complaint is that they rigged the vote to make it TB, and I also think a self-proclaimed successor should keep the same type of combat.
Anyway, if the game is shit, you can bet nobody here will mention TB as a reason.
I've heard about the KS pitch talking about and promising to deliver Infinity Engine experience, so the decision to go for TB combat, as some here would claim, betrayed that promise made during the pitch.

One thing that baffles me, though, is that if they really wanted to go for the console crowd, why would they go for TB combat, then? Ain't fast-paced, unbound nature of RT (even with pause) combat would be better to dazzle the console crowd?

Really, the more I think about it, the more it baffles me why would they push back the release date and delay the game for that long. VD managed to kind of explained the reason for these delay in the console announcement thread, though.

Also, thanks to The Game Analists for those explanation. Finally understand what is it about. Now, I feel bad for the pool system being also your health getting scrapped. It's a pretty interesting system and was quite simple to understand. However, I still kind of don't understand how the XP system worked and how it was changed (and why), especially since I haven't managed to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Would anybody kindly re-explain it to me?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You sound confused. That review was only published last month, the Torment Kickstarter was never about "the Infinity Engine experience" (which was garbage in Planescape: Torment) and turn-based is more suited to consoles than RTwP (where it's been completely replaced by pure real-time action)

Black Angel

Arcane
You sound confused. That review was only published last month,
Yeah, weird that I remembered reading it more than ~1 month ago. Oh, well, thanks for the clarification.

the Torment Kickstarter was never about "the Infinity Engine experience" (which was garbage in Planescape: Torment)
...inXile pitched a project where the priority was making an Infinity Engine, Planescape revival.
Though, I don't know, man. I haven't actually watched the KS pitch. Tried to just now, but can't handle the cringe commenced by the early part of it, and I'm too lazy to skip it, so correct me if I'm wrong (and MG there).

and turn-based is more suited to consoles than RTwP (where it's been completely replaced by pure real-time action)
Really?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well yeah. Remember how DA:I tried to impelement some sort of RTwP for consoles? That worked really nice didn't it? Must have been the worst piece of crap ever created, so bad that I was wondering how they even left the functionality in the game.
After a while I was wondering how I got lured to buy this piece of crap, but thats another story..

Black Angel

Arcane
Well yeah. Remember how DA:I tried to impelement some sort of RTwP for consoles? That worked really nice didn't it? Must have been the worst piece of crap ever created, so bad that I was wondering how they even left the functionality in the game.
Yeah, I recall seeing my lil' brother played that game on PS4. It does looked atrocious, even though my lil' brother seemed okay.

Now, could anybody re-explain the XP system? I still couldn't quite grasps what The Game Analists said. I get now that in VtM:B you'd save a bunch of XP points, but what's up with T:ToN's?

jaydee2k

Savant
Yeah, I recall seeing my lil' brother played that game on PS4. It does looked atrocious, even though my lil' brother seemed okay.

Now, could anybody re-explain the XP system? I still couldn't quite grasps what The Game Analists said. I get now that in VtM:B you'd save a bunch of XP points, but what's up with T:ToN's?

Don't waste your thoughts on this. Every single game mechanic will at least been overthrown a dozen times until console peasents will stop yelling "meh"...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I.e. this game is going to be a consolized piece of garbage? Let's hope Chris' contribution is good.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer

As long as someone had already necroed this - in VtM:B you get 1-2 exp points for finishing a whole quest or a large chunk of, and that was supposed to be the case with T:ToN. They've changed it so now you get small amount of XP much more often. The frequence of using the points for upgrades is about the same (they cost more in the 2nd case, duh). This instant reward system, in the opinion of The Game Analists, caters to casual gamers that need constant encouragement and upsets him.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Sure it could. Fallout 4 and Skyrim are the most played games here anyway - and I'm proud to be part of that subgroup. A better question is how would the codex react if T:ToN turns out to be p. good. Which it will, because I've already pre-ordered it.

Sure it could. Fallout 4 and Skyrim are the most played games here anyway - and I'm proud to be part of that subgroup. A better question is how would the codex react if T:ToN turns out to be p. good. Which it will, because I've already pre-ordered it.

I'm pretty sure TTON will never see the light of day, or if will ever be released it would be like Daikatana.

Black Angel

Arcane
As long as someone had already necroed this - in VtM:B you get 1-2 exp points for finishing a whole quest or a large chunk of, and that was supposed to be the case with T:ToN. They've changed it so now you get small amount of XP much more often. The frequence of using the points for upgrades is about the same (they cost more in the 2nd case, duh).
Ah.. thank you for the explanation.

This Black Angel chap is far too polite for the codex.
Umm, thanks..... I guess?

Maybe I need to spend more time shitposting (even though I don't even know how to properly shitpost) in here.

Ranarama

Learned
Is everyone just accepting Numenera as a setting or did I miss that particular backlash?

Unwanted

Trumpenreich

Unwanted
BECAUSE APPARANTLY PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE A HEALTH SYSTEM THAT'S A LITTLE FUCKING UNIQUE

SERIOUSLY, THE WAY THAT POOLS WORK IS THEY POWER YOUR ABILITIES WHILE ALSO BEING YOUR OVERALL HEALTH.

IF YOU BLOW ALL OF YOUR POINTS IN YOUR POOL TO MAKE EVERY ROLL SUCCEED YOU WILL BE FUCKED IN COMBAT, IF YOU BLOW ALL OF YOUR SHIT IN COMBAT/GET BEAT TO SHIT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE SKILL ROLLS.

BUT APPARANTLY THAT'S TOO HARD SO INSTEAD YOU HAVE TWO RESOURCES: DICKETY FUCKING DAMAGEAMAGE AND WOOLEY WOOLY DICK FART "SUCEED AT ROLLS" MAGIC POWERS, THUSLY MAKING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM MORE COMPLICATED AND CONSEQUENCE FREE THAN IT FUCKING NEEDS TO BE. THANKS A LOT INXILE I ONLY PUT 300 DOLLARS INTO THE FUCKING KICKSTARTER FOR YOU TO SHIT
IN
MY
MOUTH

ALSO EXPERIENCE POINTS ARE FUCKING NEEDLESSLY COMPLEX BECAUSE GAMERS APPARANTLY NEED TO BE TOLD THEY'RE GETTING LOTS AND LOTS OF XP AT ALL FUCKING TIMES SO YOU GET THIS SITUATION WHERE YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE POINTS TO UNLOCK AN UPGRADE NODE ON YOUR LITTLE CHARACTER SHEET IN GAME. REMEMBER HOW, IN VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES YOU WOULD GET 1, 2, 3 XPS HERE AND THERE? AND YOU'D SAVE UP A BUNCH TO BUY STUFF ON YOUR SHEET? WELL SHIT SON, THAT'S A REALLY OUTDATED AND CONFUSING MECHANIC. SO INSTEAD, WHEN YOU COMPLETE A BUNCH OF CONTENT, YOU GET "EXPERIENCE POINTS" AND THEN YOU UNLOCK A DOT ON YOUR SHEET. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS NOW, THEY LITERALLY CHANGED IT FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN TO BE ABLE TO CONSTANTLY PAT YOU ON THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING BACK AND GO "GOOD LITTLE RETARD YOU GOT ANOTHER 25 EXPERIENCE POINTS!!! GOOD JOB RETARD!!!!"

I'm SERIOUSLY going to fucking HAVE A FUCKING SIEZURE over this fucking FUCKING game please stop stop stop claling me into et5heads about it...

1. Pools sounds like a really fucking retarded concept that is goofy and makes no sense.
2. Getting a skillpoint or whatever every 8 hours is complete shit in practice and makes your grinding seem even more pointless and grindey. Such as in vampire where you are stuck in the sewers forever with literally no point to it at all except to waste your time.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
1. Pools sounds like a really fucking retarded concept that is goofy and makes no sense.

Yeah, unlike AC, HP and Vancian spell memorization which make perfect sense, amirite?

2. Getting a skillpoint or whatever every 8 hours is complete shit in practice and makes your grinding seem even more pointless and grindey. Such as in vampire where you are stuck in the sewers forever with literally no point to it at all except to waste your time.

You're going to be advancing at roughly the same rate as you would with the real rules, it's just that the "reward" has been split into tinier fractions that they feed you in shorter intervals to keep the mentally challenged hooked, because they'll lose interest fast if they aren't rewarded for every menial thing they do.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You're amost 4 years too late.

I don't do hype, or follow games until they're almost released.

The codex needs more people like you (assuming you don't have shit taste generally). Its incredible the amount of butthurt people put themselves through from the moment a new game is even broached. By the time of release some games already have 10 dedicated haters and 10 dedicated fanboys, neither of which will be going into the game with the novelty of the unexpected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom