Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Stolen from the gg thread
EEQEoaHX4AE2jJp.jpg

:lol: This is definitely going to be passed around before my next session.

sgm Mortmal hello friend Stormcrowfleet

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You guys playing shit games with shit players should message Irenaeus about joining his game, Cradle Valley. The kind of shit you're experiencing has no place there and based on what I've read, you would fit in quite nicely. Also, those morons in your game would get killed within 5 minutes and possibly have their heads explode Scanners-style from the experience.

Wow, agree 100%. Great post.

:excellent:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Damn more effort put into Triggers than into cooperative campaign creation.

Also lol my campaigns have featured all of the things on the checklist. And more. Yes even explicit sexual assault between PCs :lol:. It was weird I must admit.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Stolen from the gg thread

EEQEoaHX4AE2jJp.jpg

Also known as "how to make your game completely sterile and kill all surprise". Clearly stating what themes and mood you're going for works, but it also kinda assumes you're not playing with spergy strangers who can't handle social situations.

laclongquan

Arcane
Get a new group. Or don't play at all. It seems everyone in the entire fucking world who wants to play D&D right now is a furry, a barely functional psychopath or an otherkin with a genderfluid persona.

Yeah it's been my experience that the weirdest people in tabletop gaming are also those into RPGs. Not that I haven't seen incel/oddball board gamers and wargamers, but RPGers seem to be the strangest bunch. They're the ones who display sociopathic/psychopathic behavioral patterns most often.

Gotta agree with this, I used to do 40k/fantasy tournaments and some of these were held as part of larger events including other game systems and PnP stuff. Seeing the groups of people doing PnP was the single most degenerate group of barely human mutant genetic abominations I have ever seen in my life, it was fucking terrifying and solved my interest in trying to get into PnP I had as a kid.

I can only imagine this has gotten worse over time as they inbreed with each other and produce offspring that would make Darwin spin in his grave...

I am probably biased but most wargamers are pretty "normal" guys with families and normie jobs, 40k did seem to attract a lot of "heavy metal" dudes tho for some reason.

Tabletop RPG in particular, and general RPG, has roleplaying function to help players release their suppressed desire and idea. When you merge yourself into your character all things is possible. Yet, you are not your character. Thus having your char acting out some weird desire is a good way to release your stress. it is a known thing among psychologists.

The human factor, which include the acting out, the monitor, the management, of a tabletop RPG sessions make sure logical limit is removed. You cant insist on a logic "trapped chest-disarm-picklock" event when the barbarian rage up, then open the chest to take the trap full head on. You probbably could modify the rule to have that trap especially lethal, but in which case the players choose another exploit. Tabletop is human vs human, not human vs system, because system can be changed by human.

"system can be changed by human" is a RPG thing, not wargame thing, or action shooting-others-with-paintball games. In such games, even if you human vs human, the rules, the systems are set up properly from start.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Holy shit. Imagine telling a community they have a diversity problem when they literally did nothing to affect their demographic. How the fuck is it our fault that lesbians or blacks don't want to play dungeons and dragons. What the literal fuck.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And tbh, the Critical Role series actually isn't bad. Matthew Mercer is unironically a great GM, and the settings and stories he creates are very interesting. The other players aren't bad at all either, politics aside. My main problem is that it wasn't really "realistic" enough for me, or rather, it's just a bunch of people having fun and I prefer things to be more serious. Regardless, I did watch upwards of like 60-70 episodes, of their series, before eventually growing bored.

The issue is what others have said, as a progressive/leftist group, a ton of hipsters and fags get attracted to this sort of thing because they see how fun it is. I can't say that they've ruined it, because the vast majority of people that played D&D even before the influx were garbage anyway. Maybe I'm shallow, but I just can't bear to spend any time with socially awkward people, or disgusting fat looking people. Any enjoyment I might have would be ruined by the emberassment or second-hand cringe.

Black

Arcane
That's why I'm not against gatekeeping any more, because if you won't do it then someone else will. And there's a high possibility that this someone will be even more retarded.

To give an update to how I fixed this problem:

I've stopped playing D&D and started playing rpg-lite board games.

It's easier to convince normal people who do outdoor activities and normie shit to hang out and play board games then D&D.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Very healing thread for me. I've always been interested in D&D, even had the 3rd edition rulebooks as a kid.

However, whenever I see anybody actually playing it... Yeah, hard pass.

I got excited when I heard about an "Old School Revival" thing but there certainly doesn't seem to be any community for it where I live.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Critical Role got its grubby paws off D&D and has now lain them on Deadlands :negative:

Their editing for this is much better than the shitty 5e one tho

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread kind of makes me glad I found my group. We're at it together for about 2 years now, playing Exalted.
Fellas each have their own little niggling problems, but they're really by and large outstanding lads.

I don't even like the system itself that much - would prefer playing something more down-to-earth n gritty.

But they manage to make it damn fun.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yeah, I think D&D is at its best as a loose framework for storytelling. Dan Harmon has done some nice work in this area.

I guess the drawback is that the looser the rules get the more trust you place in other people not to be garbage.

Basically what I'm saying is that D&D has the power to heal the world.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Joining a 2ed game tomorrow that's been going on for 6 years... I figured the party could use some healing, so i decided to go with a dwarven fighter/ cleric. Sadly, the DM got me drunk on brennivín and I rolled quite horribly. I would have even rolled a "01" on my percentile strength had I chosen the black die first. Fortunately for me, I went with my gut and let the white die go ahead of the black one. Now, my 18/ 10 looks soooo much better than the alternative. That was SUCH A CLOSE CALL!

Goddamnit.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can relate to most of what's been said in this thread, but what's the big deal with the Consent Sheet? I've been playing with mostly the same group of good friends for years now, and we all know how we roll (heh). But I recently moved and am contemplating finding a new local group, and I would totally fill out that sheet to make sure I don't end up wasting my time at a table where some weirdos are abusing pen&paper to live out their sexual deviancies.
So yeah, modern age role players are a laughing stock, not arguing that. But some of their concepts like a session 0 or a group contract can really help keeping expectations in line. Might have helped op, too.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I would totally fill out that sheet to make sure I don't end up wasting my time at a table where some weirdos are abusing pen&paper to live out their sexual deviancies
B-but-but, it's ok if it's tastefully done, no?

some of their concepts like a session 0 or a group contract
Since when is that theirs? I've been doing this shit for 20 years. First game night is always about getting on the same page on what the campaign's about and creating characters that fit with it -- or even earlier than that deciding what's going to be the setting and rules system. All campaigns that haven't done this have derailed or straight up failed, because of different expectations and RP intentions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom