Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Criticisms, observations, suggestions (NO BUTTHURT BITCHING)

youhomofo

Augur
Plz no fanboiz or haters kk??? The game's released for fuck's sake. Let's criticize it intelligently. Fucking Cleve is updating regularly. What needs fixing? What's good? What makes you want to bash your head against a wall?

So what do people think?

I've clocked in a few hours. For what it is, I like it. It's a 90s game that never got released. Anyone who was expecting something modern is either a fucktard or straight in from Steam. So keep the bitching to a minimum if you can't play a game that doesn't play itself for you.

I think the thing that annoys me the most right now is that hitting F3 brings up the map but doesn't dismiss it. It's a small thing, but maaan, tapping the map button twice just seems right.

Also the beginning drags on. Wizardry VI is like that. Tough beginning. But you do level up pretty fast once the ball gets rolling. Right now I'm still hammering away at low level enemies and barely penetrating. It's not that the combat is difficult, it just takes forever. I wish shit would just hit me harder and I could hit it harder, so we could get the damn fight over already. Sometimes I get a series of shitty rolls all together and the battle becomes a fucking standoff. Three worms sleeping and my guys lightly tapping them with their axes and swords, so as not to wake them I guess.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I think the thing that annoys me the most right now is that hitting F3 brings up the map but doesn't dismiss it. It's a small thing, but maaan, tapping the map button twice just seems right.
Just close it manually you steamfag, the game won't play itself for you. Butthurt bitching itt.

youhomofo

Augur
Just close it manually you steamfag, the game won't play itself for you. Butthurt bitching itt.

Oh fuck off.

Wiz6 has a better interface than Grimoire. It could use some better hotkeys and you know it.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yeah, I was thinking some expanded hotkeys would be good.

Enemy sound effect looping is annoying, but I've turned down the sound effects and increased the music volume (which is great).

Really the only REAL problem I have with the game right now is the crashing. I've been getting a crash every time I take a step in Aquavia, was getting a crash every time I looted a Gatekey from Rats earlier but that seems to have resolved itself (somehow?).

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have played for 6 hours with no crashes on Windows 7. Sound looping of enemies would be pretty much the only thing I am 100% sure I would change this far.

It might be that a few more hotkeys bindings would be handy, but it really feels like a minor point.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Between designing your party, puzzles, exploration, combat, riddles, dungeons, humorous writing, secrets, companions, bosses and crafting the gameplay is absolutely god-tier.

The only thing more astounding is how good Cleveland's programming is and how it all amounts to less than 100 megabytes.

Last edited:

youhomofo

Augur
Between puzzles, exploration, combat, riddles, dungeons, secrets, companions, bosses and theorycrafting the gameplay is absolutely god-tier.

The only thing more astounding is how good Cleveland's programming is and how it all amounts to less than 100 megabytes.

Absolutely. I'm hoping that now that the game is released Cleve continues working on it, only with intelligent input and all the bug reports of an open release. Imagine if he continues working on Grimoire like Tarn Adams and Dwarf Fortress, releasing updates and patches publicly as he goes.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Plz no fanboiz or haters kk??? The game's released for fuck's sake. Let's criticize it intelligently. Fucking Cleve is updating regularly. What needs fixing? What's good? What makes you want to bash your head against a wall?

So what do people think?

I've clocked in a few hours. For what it is, I like it. It's a 90s game that never got released. Anyone who was expecting something modern is either a fucktard or straight in from Steam. So keep the bitching to a minimum if you can't play a game that doesn't play itself for you.

Also the beginning drags on. Wizardry VI is like that. Tough beginning. But you do level up pretty fast once the ball gets rolling. Right now I'm still hammering away at low level enemies and barely penetrating. It's not that the combat is difficult, it just takes forever. I wish shit would just hit me harder and I could hit it harder, so we could get the damn fight over already. Sometimes I get a series of shitty rolls all together and the battle becomes a fucking standoff. Three worms sleeping and my guys lightly tapping them with their axes and swords, so as not to wake them I guess.
get rosy, cast max magic bolt, win.

The frequency and volume the monster idle sounds needs to be severely reduced. Some environmental sounds repeat too frequently as well, IMO.

Lord Andre

Arcane
A small button with a drop down menu next to the inventory with filters... so you can select to only show weapons, scrolls, reagents etc.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've got only minor complaints, eg. the enemy sounds (will be fixed), lack of ESC functionality (used to work, should get fixed too) or having to use the scroll buttons instead of clicking on the area between them to scroll. The inventory scrolling is sort of a part of it - somebody mentioned you can fastscroll by clicking on the scroll button and pressing Enter. I'll have to try it.

Even less important things: the built-in time delays for some things in combat that stay even when hitting Enter to fast-forward.

Oh yeah, stacking items doesn't really work with many things, so that's actually one of the bigger issues. I'll have to see if holding Shift when merging items really works - people are saying it results in wrong numbers of merged items.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The music is great. It's actually so great that if you move music slider all the way to slider you continue to hear it very quietly in your head, because divine quality of it speaks to your soul, reminding you that it's actually the ancient song you knew all along, you just needed to be reminded how the celestial chant really sounds.

youhomofo

Augur
Thanks for the help you retarded fuck. Do you know everything about every game ever made? No, no you don't.

Google Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. I'm not trying to be a dick, but dude, this game is 20+ years in the making, and it has literally decades of insane drama attached.

Is the game good? That depends. It's buggy. The interface is like something out of the 90s (because this literally is a 90s game). It's slow-paced and time-consuming. It's a game from a different era. Not a nostalgic throwback. If you know nothing about Grimoire odds are it isn't the game for you. It's not mainstream, at all. It makes no effort to be simple, easy, or streamlined.

Have you ever played Wizardry 7? If not go play it. If you like it you'll like Grimoire. If you don't like it, you'll have saved $40. Also, there is a super demo floating around out there. A google search will turn it up. So you can try before you buy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I googled it and found that link I linked... Steam reviews too inconclusive. And there is nowhere that explains why there is a fuss and why it is 20 years in the making. Except you know... this site... Which is SUPPOSED to be for stuff like that.

John Keel

Savant
The UI is a fucking nightmare, and I highly doubt he's going to change the fundamentals of it .... I mean for fuck sake, by adding the 2 fastscroll buttons in the inventory he reduced the inventory size by 2 too ....
That's some high level retardation right there for a godlike programmer such as CBM.

The game does have some great parts though but I'm not really sure (yet?) if they outbalance the many horrible decisions he made....

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The UI is a fucking nightmare, and I highly doubt he's going to change the fundamentals of it .... I mean for fuck sake, by adding the 2 fastscroll buttons in the inventory he reduced the inventory size by 2 too ....
That's some high level retardation right there for a godlike programmer such as CBM.

The game does have some great parts though but I'm not really sure (yet?) if they outbalance the many horrible decisions he made....

It would be hilarious if Cleve took this criticism seriously and removed one fastscroll button to give you one more size but then you have to scroll all the way back around if you missed an item.

John Keel

Savant

It would be hilarious if Cleve took this criticism seriously and removed one fastscroll button to give you one more size but then you have to scroll all the way back around if you missed an item.

Haha, indeed ! You gotta wonder how did he came to make this choice tho ... I guess he's probably stuck with the spaghetti code of Emrakuls proportions he wrote 20 years ago !

Tbh it would not be out of character for him to do that :D !

By the way, I didn't see anyone criticize the very noticeable lack of Cleve's batshit rambling/ideas/writing style in the game .... I find that to be super disappointing ! With the exception of 2-3 quest/npcs/items, it's mostly "tame" .....

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I googled it and found that link I linked... Steam reviews too inconclusive. And there is nowhere that explains why there is a fuss and why it is 20 years in the making. Except you know... this site... Which is SUPPOSED to be for stuff like that.

Seriously, you're on THE site for all info about Grimoire and you somehow managed to miss it?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
\o/ I tend to skip stuff that isn't immediately available. Tired of reading about early access shit.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

You're just a Sapien who is too dumb to understand Neanderthal logic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom