Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPG Book Project - 200-page preview released

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I've finally managed to release this, now with 200 pages and featuring over 100 games: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/crpg-book-preview-2-1.pdf

I originally had promised this for last month, but a few issues appeared, as I posted on the book's blog:

I apologize for delaying it so much. As you read on the last update, I had created a “few 5-year summary” pages to split the reviews and give some context of what was going on around that time. They were mostly finished, but I couldn’t get them to feel satisfactory and keep delaying the preview to re-write them… after a while I got a bit burned down and was going nowhere, so I decided to shelve them for this update (I’ve kept only one, as a prototype). However, that meant I was suddenly 20 pages short, so it took me a while to fill that blank in with more reviews.

Another factor that delayed it was my big mouth. The whole P.T. & Konami deal in the last month led to a lot of debate about gaming history, and I just couldn’t keep my mouth closed, so I went and wrote A LOT about that in a Gamasutra article.

Regardless, this release marks about 50% of the book being done AND released, which feels great. The feedback for the 100-page preview was great, with over 32k downloads and a lot of e-mails, and I hope everyone enjoy & comment on this preview as well. There’s still a lot of work ahead, but it should go smoother from now on.

I'm still fixing some issues, like typos, my inability write 'amount' correctly, the description of a few screenshots, a few format bugs and the NEO Scavenger review, which mysteriously vanished in the æther somehow, but the rest should be okay.

Hope you guys enjoy and thanks for everyone who contributed. If anyone wants to help the project, here's the list of games that still need a review: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t-49SyrsdP0M5re68sDH9cB2MrPqVKwQQiFF_54VibI/edit#gid=0

Now I can finally rest for a while reply to all those PMs and e-mails that I've neglected... :oops:

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking very good, felipepepe :) I'm really looking forward to reading the finished thing. Maybe I can do another review but I need to meditate on that first :P

norolim

Arcane
Looks great, mate. Congrats. I only read a few experts, because I refuse to read the whole book until I get a paper copy of the finished thing, but I really like what I saw, so far.

Now, that you're finished this preview, talk to me about that IWD2 review. I need more information on what is wrong with it. I read it some time ago, and I didn't like it. I know why, but I also need an opinion from someone else.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Arx Fatalis, MOTB and XCOM:EU all unclaimed?

I'll probably try and claim one of them if they're still up in 2-3 weeks.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm surprised to see some obscure titles while other well known are untouched. On the other hand - not surprised for the land of people full of-Skyrim-600h-accounts...
Might try to write about some of these games - STALKER SHoC (especially for modding section, where I would bitchin' about people recommending garbage mods like Complete), Arx Fatalis and Revenant, Wizards & Warriors. And Dungeon Siege might get praises only for being engine for Ultima V & Ultima VI.
Not much to say about Gothic3, guess that half of the review will be about bugs, patches and wandering about like in Skyrim.
Wizards&Warriors need mentioning about Dungeon Lords.

BTW. there's no different types of bullet in Marauder: Man of Prey. No AP for armored opponents, like 7,62 HC.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I am giddy with excitement - how am I supposed to read all this - only have one toilet in my home.

I will have a look and see if there is a way I can contribute.

Immense thanks for your efforts.

Don Peste

Arcane
Who wrote this? :lol:
It's quite sad... and true.

Ferhergón (FHG) used to host “Maniacos
del Calabozo” and thinks old gold times
for RPG are gone. In any case, he spent a
long time in an examination of Skyrim.
After that, he degenerated into economist
theorist and only plays with thoughts.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
>STALKER SHoC
Not an RPG.

True that, RPG elements these days is enough to call the game RPG. And I need to save some people from mistake, which is using Complete mods instead of bugfixes for the 1st playthrough.
And the Felipepepe's sheet have this one so I rather write about it and won't play it again.

And Dungeon Siege might get praises only for being engine for Ultima V & Ultima VI.
I'm still downloading the latest version of the book, but try looking in the Ultima 5 review. ;)
ESPECIALLY considering who reviewed it.

Yeah I know. This is a bit...awkward and slimy situation, best prised for reviving old classic. I need to find and remind myself about old impressions, because from modern perspective the DungSiege review might be written in few sentences, including engine description. Or just whole DungSiege series, including PSP game - Throne of Agony, one of very few PSP titles that I managed to finish before selling the handheld.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Is there a possibility that you could at one point make the claim that it's bigger than the bible?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Wait, another preview today?

I hope my review is not there, otherwise I might get some royal slapping.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Who wrote this? :lol:
It's quite sad... and true.
Ferhergón (FHG) used to host “Maniacos del Calabozo” and thinks old gold times for RPG are gone. In any case, he spent a long time in an examination of Skyrim. After that, he degenerated into economist theorist and only plays with thoughts.
Ferhegón was a sort of "Spanish Scorpia", he had a RPG-oriented column on Micromania, a popular Spanish PC magazine from the 80's & 90's. Some guys at GOG's forums helped me to contact him, and he was a bro and quickly agreed to contribute. :)

Also, found one issue.
In NEO Scavenger review there is a line meant for Daggerfall.
felipepepe :argh:
The entire NEO Scavenger review is broken, I'm fixing it now. Won't lie, I rushed the release a bit to try to get some spotlight before the E3 storm...didn't really work, but eh.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, even Swen Vincke tweeted this:

UdFhPm3.jpg

2uFQBoE.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW. there's no different types of bullet in Marauder: Man of Prey. No AP for armored opponents, like 7,62 HC.
No, the 12 gauge ammo has both a slug and a buckshot version, they are even visible in the screenshot I used (the red and purple cartridges). IIRC there are a few other variants as well.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I might take over the following games if I beat any of these before someone gets them:
  • The Last Remnant (2008) - played a lot out of this one, so I might express a thing or two. Never beat it, though, so I'm not taking it over until I finish it.
  • Hired Guns (1993) - never beat it, but played it for a while.
  • Circuit's Edge (1990) - this is a good one, played only for about an hour or so, so I might take it over (once I beat it) if no one else is interested.
  • Akalabeth (1979) - played the shit out of it, especially the Java port when I had an old phone and wanted to play something more or less interesting. Practically unbeatable, but I can talk a bit about this one.
That is, after felipepepe edits my review with an approving "DERP".

Don Peste

Arcane
Who signs the Wasteland 2 review? I couldn't find him at Contributors.

Why poor Octavius doesn't have a description?

Divinity Ego Draconis said:
The third-person action-combat is simple, but gets the job done. Trigger warning: Cooldowns.

:lol:

Also, Wesp's patch is mentioned in the VTMB section, but not Tessera's. Brace yourselves, butthurt is coming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom