Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

ironyuri

Bros, Lord Rocket might be from Fagelaide but let's not hold that against him.

I still love you, Rocket-BRO.

:brofist:

Luzur

Good Sir
Hoaxmetal said:
visions said:
latexmonkeys said:
Wouldn't you guys say that pnp gaming is primarily a male dominated hobby? That's your first clue to the origin of the stigma. ;)

Most hobbies are p. much male dominated, also the "cool" ones like sports.

What the fuck do womyn do anyway :/

i heard they are good at making babies, but dont quote me on that.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I know at least 20 to 30 girls that enjoyed playing Changeling: The Dreaming and they made those huge parties while playing in character garbed in the most exquisite dresses in order to play out a dinner between nobles or some other shit.

Most of them were studying Musical in a school nearby, so they where mostly good-looking girls.

My point is, if the game has some form of social entertainment that is not confined in a sweaty basement and doesn't deal exclusively in rolls and feats and shit, most girls are interested and will at least try the game out.

Is it LARPing?
Yes.
Is it fun?
You have no fucking idea.

And when both sexes are interested in something, some very neat things can happen, for example a huge villa in the hills near Bologna gets rented for a weekend and a dozen players that are studying scenography decide to involve their teacher and make the interiors like a 1600 palace.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sceptic said:
Lord Rocket said:
congratulations on thinking there's any significant difference between grognards and nerds. The level of pedantry required to distinguish between 'nerd' and 'old nerd' is truly... nerdy.
TBH it's pretty retarded to confuse nerd and grognard, or to think that grognard = old nerd (though I'm not going to put you on ignore just for that). Aside from the fact that the mean age is about 30 years apart, the only real point they have in common is the level to which they take their stuff seriously, but if you're gonna hinge everything on this then jocks and nerds are the same too. Which... well, that would be just weird.
He doesn't even know that almost everyone talks shit about women. He probably never leaves his sweaty nerd basement, so he can't know that the outside world isn't composed exclusively of nerds and jocks.
Hell, responding to someone who just told him that he's putting him on ignore is weird in itself. I bet he still tried to talk to jocks about his favourite Baldur's Gate romance after getting shoved into a locker.

7hm

Scholar
octavius said:
So how many here read CRPG Addict's blog?

Hopefully more than argue about ridiculous definitions of a "nerd".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
octavius said:
I saw your comment about the BG games being even more faithful to D&D than POR. Not impressed.

IT'S REAL TIME FFS.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sceptic said:
octavius said:
I saw your comment about the BG games being even more faithful to D&D than POR. Not impressed.

IT'S REAL TIME FFS.

I didn't say "faithful". And the way I play the game they are closer to turn based than real time.
Personally I'm willing to sacrifice some control for the greater variety, better AI and the moddability the IE games provide.
But sure, they would have been even better with a grid and zone of control rules.

visions

Arcane
What about you, bro?

EDIT: Sorry. This thread is not about nerds and I will make no further contributions to steering it in such a direction. If I finally get around to the gold box games, POR seems like the one to start with, if it's true that the overland world received more attention in it than the other ones.

Archibald

Arcane
Not afraid to admit that i`m nerd.

As for the topic, nice that someone is actually doing something to promote old school games instead of bitching here all day about who is and who isn`t a nerd.

MCA
Zeus said:
Konjad said:
Does he know about existence of rpgcodex anyway?

He has to. I mean, if The Vede knows about RPG Watch, there's no way Mr. Oldschool RPG hasn't heard of RPGCodex yet.

Funny that only a handful of posters left here who have played anything before "95 and last few years have seen a dramatic increase in clueless fucks who like to make all kinds of big claims regarding history of CRPGs, like "DROP TEH ROSY GLASSESSESS AND TEH NOESTALGEE THERE WERE NO CNC BEFORE FALLOUTSES!!" or "YOU HATE ANYThING NEW BUT LINE UP TO TEH NOSTALGEE WAGON ONCE IT BECOMES OLD!!".

I mean, RPGCodex and oldschool RPGs? Teehee...

Not the "decline of Codex" shtick again, as level of exchanges and communication has stayed more or less the same but the number of posters who know their shit are definitely dwindling.

Zomg

Arbiter
Man, bless whoever put up the journal, tavern tales and proclamations on that wikia site, shit is better than a paper copy

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
But here's the difference between the two: in Dragon Age, most of the time, I have no idea what the #&*$ is going on. Seriously. Combat begins. My party members go into their tactics. I select one of the foes for my lead character to fight. I start using his special attacks. Meanwhile, there's a cacophony of sound as friends and foes meet each other and cast spells. Color streak across the screen. My character starts sparkling for reasons I don't understand--am I being affected by an offensive spell, or did one of my party members cast a buffing spell? Sten starts calling for healing but then suddenly he's at full health even though I didn't heal him. Liliana starts saying "trap, trap, trap" even though we're in combat and it's unrealistic to disarm traps. My character is suddenly paralyzed and I don't know why. The screen shakes and I go sprawling against at tree--what hit me? Then, all at once, it's over, and apparently we're all alive.

Oh, look, honey, it's 10:00 p.m.! You toddle off to bed while I head over to my computer and enjoy the relative tranquility of turn-based tactical combat.

And even better:
combats.GIF

Which is better? If you automatically choose left, you're probably on the wrong blog.
Come back CRPG Addict, all is forgiven :love:

MMXI

Arcane
That's a massive :incline: over his positive posts about Oblivion.

DaveO

Erudite
At least he had the decency to correctly note that the Gold Box engine is an evolution of the Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger tactical combat. The Addict also wrote that saving is for the weak.

MMXI

Arcane
DaveO said:
At least he had the decency to correctly note that the Gold Box engine is an evolution of the Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger tactical combat. The Addict also wrote that saving is for the weak.
Still, there are features of Wizard's Crown and Eternal dagger that would have improved the Gold Box games. It's just that they had to stick to AD&D rules for obvious reasons.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sceptic said:
But here's the difference between the two: in Dragon Age, most of the time, I have no idea what the #&*$ is going on. Seriously. Combat begins. My party members go into their tactics. I select one of the foes for my lead character to fight. I start using his special attacks. Meanwhile, there's a cacophony of sound as friends and foes meet each other and cast spells. Color streak across the screen. My character starts sparkling for reasons I don't understand--am I being affected by an offensive spell, or did one of my party members cast a buffing spell? Sten starts calling for healing but then suddenly he's at full health even though I didn't heal him. Liliana starts saying "trap, trap, trap" even though we're in combat and it's unrealistic to disarm traps. My character is suddenly paralyzed and I don't know why. The screen shakes and I go sprawling against at tree--what hit me? Then, all at once, it's over, and apparently we're all alive.

Oh, look, honey, it's 10:00 p.m.! You toddle off to bed while I head over to my computer and enjoy the relative tranquility of turn-based tactical combat.

And even better:
combats.GIF

Which is better? If you automatically choose left, you're probably on the wrong blog.
Come back CRPG Addict, all is forgiven :love:

Yeah, but did you notice that in the very same article he said bioware did planescape torment?

:x

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I'm continuing the derail because I can.

Sceptic said:
Lord Rocket said:
congratulations on thinking there's any significant difference between grognards and nerds. The level of pedantry required to distinguish between 'nerd' and 'old nerd' is truly... nerdy.
TBH it's pretty retarded to confuse nerd and grognard, or to think that grognard = old nerd (though I'm not going to put you on ignore just for that). Aside from the fact that the mean age is about 30 years apart, the only real point they have in common is the level to which they take their stuff seriously, but if you're gonna hinge everything on this then jocks and nerds are the same too. Which... well, that would be just weird.

Oh dear. Grognard = experienced (frequently older!) wargamer, or, in a more modern sense, someone who prefers older editions of P&P RPGs. Frequently related to older, more experienced players in this case as well: see here. I think this is a reliable source. It isn't just someone who plays wargames.

And yes, grognards are nerds. Nerds = detail oriented (historical accuracy, games designed to model tactics. See also rules lawyers etc.), frequently obsessed with one narrow subject (militaria. See alsolarval programmers), their pursuits are frequently associated with children (games in general. Yes I know this is changing as video games gain greater mainstream acceptance. And don't say Monopoly or some shit, that was never regarded as anything more than an occasional time waster. And chess was always for nerds), and above all knowledge generally determines status rather than strict prowess (in most nerd pursuits knowledge tends to determine prowess anyway. Look at, eg., Punpun the Kobold, computer game exploits, how many trains you've spotted). Maybe my definition is more general than yours though, but it covers most examples of nerd behaviour I've come across.
Krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraloth is right too. Just because something is nerdy it doesn't mean chicks won't get involved, or that indulging in it requires you to have no mates and to live in a basement. Don't feel bad about being nerds bros, there's nothing to be ashamed of. I for example have a hard definition of what a nerd is - OUT AND PROUD.

Awor's butthurt is delicious. I love the way he doesn't understand that complaining about women and going on and on about rape and humiliation and aliens and whatnot is different. And the way he thinks looking like a metalhead somehow makes him not a nerd. And replying to a guy he's got on ignore, but in a passive aggressive way so he can deny he did it.
Lastly, at the risk of sounding butthurt myself, I never did play Baldur's Gate. And I'm not from RADelaide, I just live here. Brofist anyway.

Oh and:

I think it started when P&P started to get mixed up with LARPing.

Professor MAR Barker and DCS III were in the SCA. So I was right anyway.

Esquilax

Arcane
Lord Rocket is pretty much completely right on the money. I'm a serious metalhead too, and I gotta admit, a niche genre like that with a lot of sci-fi/fantasy lyrics is pretty goddamn nerdy as well. But who gives a fuck? Like what you like.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'd rather get caught masturbating to the monster manual than let someone think I listen to metal

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Anyone who hasn't rubbed one out to the Sylph in the 1e Monster Manual probably shouldn't be on this site. The Lamia Noble (plus the song The Lamia off of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) in the Fiend Folio may be responsible for some of my more serious dysfunctions too.
Anyway, gonna go listen to Peste Noire some more now, see ya.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm reminded of the Dogs 101 and Cats 101 shows on Animal Planet. "Remember, every dog/cat is an individual and may not adhere to the breed's standards".
Same with us nerds, I think. We are all different and have different levels of nerdiness, and even different ideas of what it is to be a nerd.

Personally my favourite music is progressive rock (Genesis, Yes, King Crimson), but I also love old Rush and Iron Maiden. All these groups made music and lyrics that appeals to the ecapist in me, with their mythical and fantastic lyrics and corresponding music.

And I love both Gold Box games, the IE games and (gasp!!!) Oblivion. I am actually able to enjoy both tactical turn based combat of the GB games, the pausable tactical real time combat of the IE games, and "LARPing" in modded Oblivion.

Oh, and isn't it cute that Awor would be more butthurt at thinking I called him a lamer, than at being called a nerd?
I think most "normal" people would rather be called lamer, than being called a nerd..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom