Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

Esterhaze

Augur
Jagged Alliance 2, Morrowind make love child with character system from Prelude to Darkness.

That could actually work...

, and EU3 magna mundi

wait, how would that work exactly?

Dynamic factions as basis for game world, event-moderated balance between deterministic narrative and emergent narrative.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
An RPG set during World War I. So much potential, so little attention paid by developers and publishers.

I liked "History Line 1914-1918". Though it was strategy and not an RPG, it had something that its "Battle Isle" futuristic cousins did not.

Statik

Educated
An RPG with a setting inspired by the XVIII century and the Enlightenment.

Arcanum sequel with combat that at least begins to resemble the concept of functionality and controllable companions.

Anything that uses ToEE's combat engine.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I want a Firefly or Babylon 5 based space opera rpg.
The space part should be similar to Privateer.
The ground part should not be like Mass Effect.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
An RPG set during World War I. So much potential, so little attention paid by developers and publishers.

The setting has potential, but as an RPG it has no potential. Once you get into planning stages of gameplay, you'll run into problems that will force you to divorce the game from any real-life semblance of realism and even the setting itself.

Tagaziel

Scholar
The setting has potential, but as an RPG it has no potential. Once you get into planning stages of gameplay, you'll run into problems that will force you to divorce the game from any real-life semblance of realism and even the setting itself.

Isn't that true for every game and every setting? I wasn't talking about giving you the role of a grunt charging at machine gun emplacements, but about something along the lines of the Great Game.

Krivol

Magister
I liked "History Line 1914-1918". Though it was strategy and not an RPG, it had something that its "Battle Isle" futuristic cousins did not.

World War I is generally underutilized in games. Everyone and their mothers focuses on World War II and America.
I'm still waiting for single player FPS with nazi protagonist. But imagine that - holding MG42 in D-Day...

Renevent

Cipher
Considering most people games are marketed for live in a country that was negatively effected by Nazi's...I doubt any serious developer would make that. I mean, you can already play as a German soldier in most WWII themed games in the MP aspect...but if we are talking protagonist...as in the hero of a story...what exactly would the story be? How would the missions work? Round up as many Jews as you can in a level? Kill the allied forces and help bring fascism to the world? Please the glorious Fuhrer and help bring his genocidal plans to fruition?

I think there's a good reason why no one (no one serious, that is) has done a game from that perspective...and why you will most likely continue to wait.

Unless of course if you mean something more ironic...like maybe being a German soldier who secretly thwarts Hitler's plan. But then, what would be the point of that? Better off making a game about a US/British/Etc spy or something.

Krivol

Magister
Considering most people games are marketed for live in a country that was negatively effected by Nazi's...I doubt any serious developer would make that. I mean, you can already play as a German soldier in most WWII themed games in the MP aspect...but if we are talking protagonist...as in the hero of a story...what exactly would the story be? How would the missions work? Round up as many Jews as you can in a level? Kill the allied forces and help bring fascism to the world? Please the glorious Fuhrer and help bring his genocidal plans to fruition?

I think there's a good reason why no one (no one serious, that is) has done a game from that perspective...and why you will most likely continue to wait.

Unless of course if you mean something more ironic...like maybe being a German soldier who secretly thwarts Hitler's plan. But then, what would be the point of that? Better off making a game about a US/British/Etc spy or something.

Then I don't understand why it's easy to make strategy game about german WW2 (like Panzer General or Hearts of Iron). You could be just a solider, attack this soviet machine guns, defend a bunker - and theme could be anti-nazi, like "I'm fighting but I hate hitler" or "Look at the berlin in 45', see, hitler is bad man" and all this shit.

Renevent

Cipher

Then I don't understand why it's easy to make strategy game about german WW2 (like Panzer General or Hearts of Iron). You could be just a solider, attack this soviet machine guns, defend a bunker - and theme could be anti-nazi, like "I'm fighting but I hate hitler" or "Look at the berlin in 45', see, hitler is bad man" and all this shit.

I would say it's most likely due to strategy games being story-lite and more based around historical re-enactment.

Whereas a FPS typically has a story of some sort...or in other words (and like you already mentioned) a "protagonist" to play as. So you know, the hero. I think most people would have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of a Nazi hero and fulfilling some Nazi/Hitler themed story.

Strategy games, on the other hand, I don't think really have to deal with that aspect and really just appeal to those looking for the strategic/historic aspect.

You mention fighting as a german soldier who hates Hitler...but again...what's the point of that? So a developer could check off a box saying "look I made a game about a German soldier!"?! Doesn't sound like a compelling game story IMO...more like making a game about being a Nazi soldier for the sake of making a game about being a Nazi soldier.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Might&Magic with events set after Archibald arms everyone with laser rifles.
Wizardry 9 with all locations and dungeons remade and placed on different planets in a whole World of Wizardry, and you can travel around them in a space ship. :oops:
Ravenloft RPG.
An RPG set in a world of japanese cyberpunk, like Bubblegum Crisis... basically "New Tokyo" with humongous world of steel and glass towering over poor, unending highways with japanese bands and corporations making new weapons and cyborgs and testing them on local population, while police struggles to bring at least an illusion of order. Oh, and police should be using tanks. It should be Tank Police!
Also, an RPG in postapocalyptic fantasy. Either Darksun, or with Ralph Bakshi movies as inspiration.
A mage-centered RPG experience... maybe where you play a Wizard of Thay and go through their ranks until you form your own little magocratic heaven country with slaves. Lots of slaves.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Ars Magica kickstarter already failed... Not sure what more to say besides :(.

Tim Cain Kickstarter - I don't care what it is, let him come up with something.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Ars Magica kickstarter already failed... Not sure what more to say besides :(.

Tim Cain Kickstarter - I don't care what it is, let him come up with something.
It would be really fucking cool if Obsidian would commit to some sort of "always run a kickstarter project on the side" strategy. I don't mean "always have a KS campaign running", but a game project (in its entirety). So after PE (or when it draws to an end), perhaps Tim could do something. If not, perhaps an expansion/sequel to PE.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
A modern Uncharted Waters with your own creatable party, overland trade routes, addition of actual nations and division of political/economics control. Also, more tactical sea battles (with wind playing a major role) and duel mechanics with less randomness.

I recently played the original Uncharted Waters and enjoyed it all the way till the end. Part 2 was already fucked up though with all that JRPG stuff.
What's the jpg elements in 2? I haven't really noticed much difference between the two?

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same game. I meant Uncharted Waters: New Horizons for the PC. From what I understand, it was the second game after the original Uncharted Waters.

The biggest change towards the worse is that now you run around as a small Zelda-type figure from house to house. I just can't stomach that.
It wasn't that bad (it was actually good) apart from some derp to be found in the storyline of the son of the first uncharted waters protagonist.
Tanzanians descendants of Atlanteans? Rogue Portuguese noble seeking establish a Neo-Atlantic pirate haven in Brazil?
Just stomach those sprites. Also, If you want a very freeform gameplay just play the Turkish char, since he his only goal is to become filthy fucking rich like a Jew.

Tagaziel

Scholar

Or a non-linear game, where you start as a recruit and basing on your actions can either up in the Wehrmacht on the Western Front, as part of the Fallschirmjaeger under Otto Skorzeny, or part of Waffen-SS on the Eastern Front. The worse your actions, the worse the ending, up to, and including, being executed on the spot by the Soviety Army when they find you. Or hung by the neck for war crimes.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Are you serious :what: ?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
A sci-fi rpg using the ToEE engine. Not that exact engine, but just pretty much the exact style, with turn based combat. And I want it to be science-fiction, the old fashioned kind where people actually used their imagination, not sci-fantasy or this Star Trek style castrated and spit shined plastic future (it's fine when ST does it, but Mass Effect and every other sci-fi game, or movie, now seems to be doing it). I want something like the Dune film: Giger architecture, serious duplicity and trickery, sodomy, heart plugs. Like ToEE it shouldn't be too large scale, in both plot and setting, a few highly detailed and interactive environments are better than a bunch of over-large and empty (KotOR, Mass Effect) ones.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would say it's most likely due to strategy games being story-lite and more based around historical re-enactment.

Whereas a FPS typically has a story of some sort...or in other words (and like you already mentioned) a "protagonist" to play as. So you know, the hero. I think most people would have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of a Nazi hero and fulfilling some Nazi/Hitler themed story.

Typical modern military shooters don't really have a story. In CoD 2 you're basically just a soldier fighting in battles together with your squad. It doesn't have much of a story at all.

Anyway, a WW2 themed RPG would be perfect if it included nazi occultism and stuff. That would be great. Play as a member of Himmler's secret SS SUPERNATURAL DIVISION!

Or make a WW2 RPG that is similar in tone to this:

Because honestly, the modern gaming world needs more games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Johannes

Arcane
Why do people want to have ToEE engine used? The rules implementation is mostly good (though it really should've had a grid), but other than that the engine is a buggy piece of shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They probably meant more of a ToEE like combat system, not using the exact (and buggy) ToEE engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom