Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
During medieval period there were such thing as Impenetrable Castle, which were taken by tricks and treachery only, but never with direct assault or siege. And during Henry II most "castles" were wooden shit with moat at best. And even in their case they were mostly starved, not assaulted.

Chunkyman

Augur
During medieval period there were such thing as Impenetrable Castle, which were taken by tricks and treachery only, but never with direct assault or siege. And during Henry II most "castles" were wooden shit with moat at best. And even in their case they were mostly starved, not assaulted.

If I pour enough money into my castle I want it to be an absolute nightmare to try and take. That doesn't mean it's impenetrable, just that it's extremely fortified to the point that you're either going to spend a year trying to starve me out or lose 10,000 men storming the walls.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Quiz time: How many sieges in the whole Middle ages have lasted a year (or more)?

Quick search didn't bring up very many. The Byzantines held Philadelphia against the Turks for 12 years before the city fell in 1390. The Venetians managed to hold out against the Turks for 8 years at Thessalonica about half a century later. Calais siege in 1346 was almost a year long, at around 330 days.

There were also a few long sieges during the Japanese Feudal wars, but those were in the 1500s, not really in the middle age era. Screw it, I'm tired of hunting. I'll go with the 2 I could find.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Quiz time: How many sieges in the whole Middle ages have lasted a year (or more)?

Quick search didn't bring up very many. The Byzantines held Philadelphia against the Turks for 12 years before the city fell in 1390. The Venetians managed to hold out against the Turks for 8 years at Thessalonica about half a century later. Calais siege in 1346 was almost a year long, at around 330 days.

There were also a few long sieges during the Japanese Feudal wars, but those were in the 1500s, not really in the middle age era. Screw it, I'm tired of hunting. I'll go with the 2 I could find.
Of these, only Calais can count as a proper siege. Citation needed on Philadelphia. As far as I know Philadelphia was taken in 1390 without serious trouble. Thessaloniki was a blockade, not a real tight siege, and the city was being resupplied which allowed it to hold on for that long.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Of these, only Calais can count as a proper siege. Citation needed on Philadelphia. As far as I know Philadelphia was taken in 1390 without serious trouble. Thessaloniki was a blockade, not a real tight siege, and the city was being resupplied which allowed it to hold on for that long.

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/ancient/the-5-longest-sieges-in-history/

2. Fall of Philadelphia 1378 – 1390

When the Byzantine civil war turned disastrous, the Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos promised the city of Philadelphia to the Turks. However, the residents of Philadelphia were not so keen on this idea and managed to resist the invaders for an impressive 12 years before the city was finally taken by the Turkish forces.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Philadelphia wasn't a proper siege. Rather, the residents of the city were largely left to their own devices, including farming, and subjected only to low intensity raids and harassment.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In the early middle ages very few armies could stay in the field for more than a couple of months at a time. A castle only needed to hold out a while until the besiegers were forced to return home.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They put baronies on the map but noy playable....... bad decision (or probably leaving on purpose for future DLC knowing paradox )

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/ancient/the-5-longest-sieges-in-history/

2. Fall of Philadelphia 1378 – 1390

When the Byzantine civil war turned disastrous, the Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos promised the city of Philadelphia to the Turks. However, the residents of Philadelphia were not so keen on this idea and managed to resist the invaders for an impressive 12 years before the city was finally taken by the Turkish forces.
They really did resist, as in, the city remained nominally independent, although fully encircled by lands subordinate to the Ottomans. However, they had made no attempt to take it prior to 1390 that I know of. It was not "under siege" and communications were not cut.

Beastro

Arcane
If I pour enough money into my castle I want it to be an absolute nightmare to try and take. That doesn't mean it's impenetrable, just that it's extremely fortified to the point that you're either going to spend a year trying to starve me out or lose 10,000 men storming the walls.

Depends on what kinda castle it is. But I can recall the warfare William of the Conqueror faced after his minority that resulted in several small castles holding him up for half a year or more at a time.

That's the trouble with CK, that even small castles are a major obstacle that they can't seem to work around. I just see this a new version of shit and probably worse than CK2s issue of siege being too easy.

In the early middle ages very few armies could stay in the field for more than a couple of months at a time. A castle only needed to hold out a while until the besiegers were forced to return home.

A big problem with CK2 at least, is logistics isn't translated into the game. At most it's reduced to a simple hit to your funds which ignores the problem of food and such that attrition can't account for.

A huge accomplishment of William's came simply waiting for the chance to invade England: He ordered his men and the large amount of mercenaries he'd hired to not harass or seize any goods from the locals they were camped by in Normandy. They spent a good few months waiting for both their invasion fleet to finish being built and for any news of changes that would allow for an opportunity to cross over.

His ability to pull this off was crucial and Harold failed at it on his end. He disbanded much of the fyrd and sent it back because he couldn't sustain it in Southeastern England anylonger. Same went for having his fleet on the Southeastern coast. Much of the fyrd, cept his core from Wessex, was sent back home and the fleet was sent back to the Thames to recover, then he moved north with his best men which finally allow William the opening he was ready to act upon.

Had his men and mercs started trouble it would have threatened his chances of invading and it's a testament to his character and the esteem of others that everyone under him obeyed his commands and suffered for them in the immediate term.

The thing is, I don't think that could be replicated in at least CK2, as all you need to do in Paradox games to avoid attrition is to spread your army out into smaller forces in other provinces which ignores hard counters like food, things which in EU result in silliness like large armies staying intact rushing across the Sahara or Amazon instead of collapsing from massive loss of life.

attackfighter

Magister
Nah, a decent province could support > 10k soldiers easily. It's just that, once all the food was pillaged... all the food would be pillaged, so maintaining an army in the same place for a really long time would be nonviable without supply routes. The proper mechanic would be one in which supply limits become reduced over time as local food stores are depleted, and where maintaining an army thereafter in the same place requires both a friendly route from which food can be shipped as well as an upkeep cost in gold to reflect the cost of paying for that food and its transportation. Moving away from rivers, coasts, and friendly territory would cause that cost to rise precipitously. Some really crappy forms of government could lack the organizational ability to establish supply routes altogether, while slightly less crappy forms could establish them but at an increased cost to reflect their deficient administrations. Well-organized states like the Ottoman Empire could get them at the cheapest cost, which would still be substantial.

34scell

Augur
A single siege might not last that long, but there were a lot more castles than what is represented in the game.

The thing is, I don't think that could be replicated in at least CK2, as all you need to do in Paradox games to avoid attrition is to spread your army out into smaller forces in other provinces which ignores hard counters like food, things which in EU result in silliness like large armies staying intact rushing across the Sahara or Amazon instead of collapsing from massive loss of life.

I once rage-quitted an EU4 game that was going great, because the Ottomans somehow charged at my glorious Portuguese Empire's territories, namely a bunch of desert... across miles and miles of Scorched Earth Sahara Desert with a 150k army. They barely felt it. In the early 1500s.

SAHARA DESERT. SCORCHED.

150k men walking across around five scorched earth sahara desert provinces

THE SAHARA FUCKING DESERT!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom