Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Hello everyone!

To most of you I’m a new “face”, so let me introduce myself. I was a Content Designer on CK2 for Reaper’s Due, Monks & Mystics and Jade Dragon, where my most important contribution was essential cat content (yes, I also wrote the Spymaster Mittens event chain, and yes, the cat portrait in CK2’s animal kingdom is based on my real-life furbaby). Since JD, I’ve been on the excellent CK3 team and we can’t wait for you to see everything we’ve worked on! Sadly, I don’t have any cat news for you today, but I have something that is nearly as exciting: the Court, Guests, and Wanderers.

The courts of CK3 are very similar to those in CK2. The Court consists of your landless subjects, such as some of your Family, Knights, and Councillors. However, you will generally have fewer Courtiers than in CK2. Courtiers who don’t have any duties or other reasons for staying will eventually decide to leave in pursuit of other opportunities. Fear not – they will let you know before they go. Courtiers leaving might feel like a bad thing, but I promise, it’s actually a part of a really neat feature (more on that further down). In addition to enabling the neat feature, this also means your remaining Courtiers will be more relevant to you than before. No more random strangers at the dinner table!

index.php

Your Court will still be a bustling place, full of new acquaintances. In addition to the Courtiers, the core members of your court, you will also have Guests paying you visits. These individuals will interact with your Courtiers and appear in events. Guests stay for a few years before they leave. If you want a Guest to stick around, you can recruit them. Just remember to give them a reason to stay! Giving them a spot on the council or a shiny title never fails, but seducing them also does the trick.

index.php

Guests look for opportunities and will be more likely to visit if they think you might recruit them. For example, Claimants will seek you out if you are strong enough to press their Claims, and suitors might appear if you or your adult children are unmarried. The interface will give you a handy overview to easily identify Guests with special Skills, Traits and Claims. You also have some influence over the type of Guests you attract. There are Invitation Decisions you can take to increase the chance of having good Knights and Claimants visiting, and there is a Dynasty Perk to increase the likelihood of useful Guests.

index.php

But where do all these Guests come from? You see, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much… Oh, you meant “where are they before they appear in my court”? Well, characters without a permanent home wander around on the map, and visit Courts along the way. This is where characters leaving your court comes in - they will become Wanderers! For example, a son or daughter who is too far down in the line of succession to inherit might become a Wanderer to find a new Liege to press their Claims. Characters might also find themselves on the road by being banished or losing all their land.

All of this means that your guests often have interesting backstories. Many of them have families and relationships, and they keep developing during their journeys. If you check in on a family member who is out wandering, you might find that they have married or picked up some new skills (or a juicy secret…) since they left your Court. Perhaps they’ve even become a Mercenary Captain or the head of a Holy Order!

In the world of CK3, your ruler is the main character, but it is our hope that courtiers, guests, and wanderers will become a great supporting cast. I’m looking forward to hearing about all the little subplots you will discover.

That is all for this Development Diary my friends. Take care and we’ll see you in 2020!

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
For those of you interested in Byzantium, I offer this most excellent podcast & website:
https://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/

I have listened to every episode, learned much, and say it is most fine. Tour time wont be wasted if you partake.
Been listening to this for the past month or so, now at the 800's. Wonderful narration and detail but it's just so :negative: to listen to. Poor Romans can't catch a break.

Poor Romans can't catch a break.

I like to think they were immensely badass and literally went through a gauntlet of dangerous, badass opponents.

Meanwhile, other lesser empires pretty much fell down with some casual civil wars, revolts and the odd band of barbarians goin' looting.

I think its a testment to their robust polity that even through they were being invaded and fighting civil wars like every year, the Eastern Empire lasted over a millenium and outlived its own Western equivalent by a similar amount.

Vatnik Wumao
I think its a testment to their robust polity that even through they were being invaded and fighting civil wars like every year, the Eastern Empire lasted over a millenium and outlived its own Western equivalent by a similar amount.
A shame that Orthodox Rome and Zoroastrian Persia, the two classical civilizations still surviving (and thriving) in our corner of the world, fought and weakened each other through petty territorial squabbles, thus allowing the barbarians to swoop in and destroy them both. :negative:

A shame that Orthodox Rome and Zoroastrian Persia, the two classical civilizations still surviving (and thriving) in our corner of the world, fought and weakened each other through petty territorial squabbles, thus allowing the barbarians to swoop in and destroy them both. :negative:

Ain't truth? And look what replaced them:

Absolute Crap and Barbarism.

Then again, perhaps I should just be thankful. Would't exist if Egypt had not fallen and the Muslim invaders not conquered almost all of Iberia until Pelajo stopped them at Covadonga.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Because civilization is not a good thing. Also those two collapsed because of inner squabbles and laziness.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Oh absolutely it's a great testament to Roman resilience that they survived for as long as they did. Though frankly a big chunk of the credit has to go to Constantine and other early emperors for having the foresight to make Constantinople an impregnable fortress. There were so many times when the city was besieged and if it had fallen the empire would likely have collapsed.

Still, reading the history you can't help but feel that the hand of fate is out to get them. Justinian reforms the state so he could retake the west and then barely survives the nika riots. Then he retakes Africa and most of Italy but then the plague cripples the empire. Justinian makes peace with the Sassanids but then Justinian II breaks it for no good reason and plunges them back into war. Herakleus heroically retakes the east from the Sassanids but then the Arabs come (poor guy, imagine working so hard only to see your life's work destroyed just like that). Nikephoros starts reforming the empire and retaking the Balkans but then retardedly gets himself killed by the Bulgars.

So no friends, no allies, constantly under siege from all sides and whenever a good emperor comes and starts to turn things around he's usually smacked back down.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh absolutely it's a great testament to Roman resilience that they survived for as long as they did. Though frankly a big chunk of the credit has to go to Constantine and other early emperors for having the foresight to make Constantinople an impregnable fortress. There were so many times when the city was besieged and if it had fallen the empire would likely have collapsed.

Still, reading the history you can't help but feel that the hand of fate is out to get them. Justinian reforms the state so he could retake the west and then barely survives the nika riots. Then he retakes Africa and most of Italy but then the plague cripples the empire. Justinian makes peace with the Sassanids but then Justinian II breaks it for no good reason and plunges them back into war. Herakleus heroically retakes the east from the Sassanids but then the Arabs come (poor guy, imagine working so hard only to see your life's work destroyed just like that). Nikephoros starts reforming the empire and retaking the Balkans but then retardedly gets himself killed by the Bulgars.

So no friends, no allies, constantly under siege from all sides and whenever a good emperor comes and starts to turn things around he's usually smacked back down.
A bunch of incompetent retards that thought themself better yet failed miserably every time. You can't expect men raised in luxury and culture to lead your country well in a world of barbarism and savagery. Their leaders at this point weren't warriors and conquerors but philosophers and fat nobles. Their whole existence was about surviving and loosing land slower.

A bunch of incompetent retards that thought themself better yet failed miserably every time. You can't expect men raised in luxury and culture to lead your country well in a world of barbarism and savagery. Their leaders at this point weren't warriors and conquerors but philosophers and fat nobles. Their whole existence was about surviving and loosing land slower.

Wait, why are we listening to one of the barbarians? I'm going to make it a point to crush the Bulgarians day 1 when I pirate CK III.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Empire needed more men like Nikephoros II and Basil II the Bulgar-Slayer Comrade... or Slav Tzar to reinvigorate the Empire.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If it wasn't for Basil II, the Kievan Rus' would have probably remained pagan for a much longer period. He transferred church literature translated from Greek to Bulgarian, so the Russians lrn2read.

This whole transition to 3D is Massive Decline (tm). Only proves the principle that game developers usually do good things by accident, and when they do them, they can't recognize them.

Why not transfer from memorable faces and timeless 2D art to unmemorable faces with less defined features in a 3D that already looks dated. PDX have no idea what they are messing with - the association of a player with his characters was one of the main draws of CKII.

Next high-level thing that made a bad impression was that they are sticking with a "mana points" system. One of the numales in the video actually gave an example of breaking a truce being a dishonorable thing that makes people hate you. Boo hoo, what if PDX had actually put some more effort and made it so the same action affects different people in a different way, instead of sticking to a good-bad meter? What if some feudal lord wanted to ally with mine and me breaking that alliance is actually percieved as a good thing? Obsidian already did a similar system with their companion relations in Deadfire. But PDX are choosing the easy way.

Norfleet

One of the numales in the video actually gave an example of breaking a truce being a dishonorable thing that makes people hate you.
That was the same thing as in CK2, all characters react in generally the same way to a given action...even if they were the ones who wanted it. They've always been cardboard cutouts with canned reactions, not individuals with their own agendas and opinions.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
This whole transition to 3D is Massive Decline (tm). Only proves the principle that game developers usually do good things by accident, and when they do them, they can't recognize them.

Why not transfer from memorable faces and timeless 2D art to unmemorable faces with less defined features in a 3D that already looks dated. PDX have no idea what they are messing with - the association of a player with his characters was one of the main draws of CKII.

I think it's an improvement over the CK2, character art, where I barely could identify the characters and tell them apart or recognize inherited features.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD Lifestyles.
Greetings! Today we’ll be taking a look at a new and exciting feature in CK3 - the Lifestyle system!

Now, to start off, the lifestyles of CK3 have very little in common with those in CK2. The system has been changed and is vastly improved and much more interactive than CK2’s system. In fact, we have proper skill trees now, much like those you would find in an RPG. You will gather experience and unlock perks, which conveys all kinds of bonuses to your character! This allows you to tailor your character to your needs, immerse yourself in their story, and provides a lot of replayability, as it’s not only about what perks you get, but also when you get them.

There are five Lifestyle categories, with each category containing three full skill trees. You first choose the Lifestyle you want, and then you select a focus within it.

index.php

The focuses convey immediate bonuses, much like they did in CK2 - you usually pick the Focus that provides the modifier you most need at the moment. For example, if you desperately need piety you can pick the Theology Focus, while if you have just conquered a large amount of land the Authority Focus might be more appropriate. You can pick any Focus within a Lifestyle to gain experience within it, the Focuses do not correspond to specific trees.

Each Focus also comes with its own unique set of events, connected to the theme of the Focus. If you have the Temptation focus selected you might get events about subtly manipulating your vassals and guests, finding out their secrets or gaining hooks, while if you have the Wealth focus selected it might see you levy extra taxes upon your peasants, among other things. More on this in the next weeks DD.

index.php

After you’ve picked a Focus, you will start gaining experience and can start unlocking perks!

Now, characters will not usually live long enough to unlock every perk. You will have to choose which path to go down, and you will unlock a new perk every few years. Perks are unlocked by spending experience, which is gained both passively (symbolizing that your character dabbles in subjects pertaining to their lifestyle during their free time) and actively (through choices in Lifestyle events, etc).

Perks are wonderful things that unlock all manner of possibilities and opportunities. Going down the right paths will unlock special modifiers, decisions, casus bellis, and even schemes. Some perks will modify existing systems to work differently for your character - for example, going down the Avarice path makes Stress (more on this in a later DD) have some positive effects. There are perks that make your troops fight better, that make factions stay in line, or that fortify your health. Really, you’ll be spoilt for choice - and we’ll go into more detail on what each Lifestyle is capable of in the coming weeks!

index.php

The final Perk in each tree always gives you a trait, which is very powerful (think the Master Seducer trait in CK2), nicely rounding them off. If you live long enough, you’ll see yourself accumulate a few of these.

index.php

Can you guess the traits? 15 of these traits are tied to the Lifestyle trees, the remaining can be gained through special events and activities.

While you won’t start using Lifestyles and unlocking perks before you’re an adult, it really begins during childhood. Depending on the education you get, you will have an affinity for a certain Lifestyle - now this doesn’t mean that you’re stuck with that Lifestyle, of course, you can choose any lifestyle regardless of your education. The education ranks directly correspond to a percentage increase in experience gained, a rank one education will give a 10% bonus, and a rank four one a 40% bonus, and so on.

When a character becomes landed they will select a focus and unlock perks based on their age - the older they are, the more perks they will have unlocked. They will select an appropriate Lifestyle based on their education (making it even more important to manage your children’s education carefully), and perks based on their personality and traits. Do not worry though, if you’re not satisfied with the hand you’re dealt you can choose to reset all perks (within that Lifestyle) once per lifetime - though this will incur a massive amount of Stress (again, more on this in a later DD). Sometimes it’s worth playing the hand you’re dealt - perhaps going along with your lustful heir's seductive tendencies could open up a venue you hadn’t even considered?

In the next few weeks we’ll dive deeper into the various aspects of the Lifestyle system, so stay tuned!

Dux

Arcane
Wow, news of that perk system just drained the life out of me. Don't know why but it sounds like they've removed much of the random and unpredictable nature of the CK gameplay. Trying to control chaos was always the most interesting part of CK2.

There are perks that make your troops fight better, that make factions stay in line, or that fortify your health

Sounds artificial and popamole.

Not a fan either, seems too controlled. I liked how it worked in CKII.

I think it would be neat if some lifestyle could lead you to something else - like say, enough love-life dissapointments leading you to Religion instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom