Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 3

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah I played 2 and 3 very stealthy and they were entertaining. It's just hard not to see the downgrade from the original in so many ways.
The downgrade is evident and unfortunate but that usually doesn't stop me from playing a game or giving it a fair try.

JDR13

Arcane
Crysis and Crysis Warhead were both pretty good. By comparison, Crysis 2 was shit.

Never played Crysis 3. Is it actually worth it?
Crysis 2 and 3 have an emphasis on stealth. If you like that playstyle it's worth a playthrough. In 3 they add a bow, maps are big, a few are sandbox-y. Nothing spectacular. Some might say functional. I would say fun.
I still prefer Crysis 2 though. Longer than 3 and you can actually ghost the game if you play very stealthy and in a particular way. That's my preference anyway.

I never felt like Crysis 2 had an empahsis on stealth, or at least not any more so than the previous games. Not saying you can't play that way since you obviously can, but it's not optimal.

To me, they removed most of what made Crysis and Crysis Warhead good when they made Crysis 2.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Crysis and Crysis Warhead were both pretty good. By comparison, Crysis 2 was shit.

Crysis 2 and 3 have an emphasis on stealth. If you like that playstyle it's worth a playthrough. In 3 they add a bow, maps are big, a few are sandbox-y. Nothing spectacular. Some might say functional. I would say fun.
I still prefer Crysis 2 though. Longer than 3 and you can actually ghost the game if you play very stealthy and in a particular way. That's my preference anyway.

I never felt like Crysis 2 had an empahsis on stealth, or at least not any more so than the previous games. Not saying you can't play that way since you obviously can, but it's not optimal.

To me, they removed most of what made Crysis and Crysis Warhead good when they made Crysis 2.
It is emphasized......a little bit. You have the ability to kill from behind quietly and upgrades to your suit which reduce the energy consumption while cloaked.
In Crysis 1, you had to cloak prone everywhere for the energy to last you for quite a while.
Edit: typos.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

It is emphasized......a little bit. You have the ability to kill from behind quietly and upgrades to your suit which reduce the energy consumption while cloaked.
In Crysis 1, you had to cloak probe everywhere for the energy to last you for quite a while.

Most of the levels don't lend themselves to that style of play though, especially in the 2nd half of the game. I only remember a few levels that really catered to a stealth approach, and they were all early on.

If you didn't like 2 you won't like 3. It's good for graphics whoring but not much else. Better than COD-likes, but not enough to be called a good game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most of the levels don't lend themselves to that style of play though, especially in the 2nd half of the game. I only remember a few levels that really catered to a stealth approach, and they were all early on.

It's a "stealth until you can't stealth and then shoot, then back to stealth" kind of game. Not a "designed so you can ghost it" kind of game. I like the mix.

JDR13

Arcane

It's a "stealth until you can't stealth and then shoot, then back to stealth" kind of game. Not a "designed so you can ghost it" kind of game. I like the mix.

I wasn't talking about ghosting. I'm just saying stealth is more useful on some levels than on others. I agree that it's a nice mix. I'd like to do a replay of Crysis 1&2, and finally play Crysis 3, if I could ever find the time.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Also, another thing, there's a mod for Crysis 2 that brings the bow from Crysis 3 so you can play with it, with all the different arrow types and tension draw.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
So I finished this game.

I cannot for the life of mine understand why anyone would say this is a "bad" game. It's certainly as good as the original Crysis. You have HUGE levels (after the first level which is basically tutorial) for sandbox play. Besides being unable to throw chickens to kill North Koreans, I cannot see any difference in terms of gameplay quality between Crysis 1 and 3.

The general combat is a million times more fun than DX:HR, which has a equally if not more retarded plot, plus some half-hearted Mass Effect-style dialogue options. And yet people praise that game.

Heck this game even beats Far Cry 3 for sandbox play. Turn up the difficulty to Post-Human and let the great AI butcher you if you want a genuine challenge. I'd even say the sandbox gameplay is as good as STALKER.

Crysis 3 is INCLINE amidst all the declines. Those who say the game is "boring," is it possible that you're only using the bow? The bow is OP but you don't HAVE TO use it.

And the game is NOT 6 hours long as rumor claims. The in-game stats does not take into account of re-try. With retry on higher difficulty levels, it took me around ten hours to beat the game.

I'm really interested in what people want out of a sandbox game. Crysis 3 and 1 are one of the best sandbox game this generation. Certainly worth paying for if the price drops to $20 IMO.

I gave crysis 3 a go based entirely on this post.

I'm about 3 or 4 levels in, and I don't think its going to end up anywhere near as good as this guy claimed, but I can already tell you its a fine shooter and I'm extremely dubious about posters claiming its crap. Smells like people trying really hard to be too cool for school.

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty, the shooting feels good, the stealth feels balanced and there's also great run jump shoot action for those that want to play that way. Feels pretty dope to shoot an airburst grenade arrow into a group of mooks, jump over the railings into the water, swim up to the tower behind them, stab the sniper fag in the neck, then tear a HMG off it's hinges and go to town on the QRF that just showed up.

The graphics are very impressive, and yet its fairly well optimized, albeit I had to turn on ultra low latency in nvidia control panel to fix the low max fps/stuttering bug. That's the thing to do, I don't know if it's fixed in the "remaster".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom