Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cuphead

Cuphead has been released. It's actually pretty good - reminds me of Contra. The only negative point for me so far is that there are upgrades/powerups and shit that you slot permanently - I think it would be better without any of this crap and having powerups dropping in levels, maybe.

Anyway, the art direction is top notch and it controls well. Worth a buy for sure - it's priced at around 10 bucks.

Bonus points for exposing once again how lousy and utterly unfit for their jobs games "journalists" are:

Ezekiel

Arcane
upgrades/powerups and shit that you slot permanently
That's a shame. I wonder if games will ever grow out of this fad.

Is there an option to turn off the chromatic abberation, or a file one can edit? I understand the intent, but my Tom and Jerry cartoons and my seventy year old Disney movies look far cleaner than THAT.

Edit:

There is no ini file, but you can edit the registry entry for it.
It's in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Studio MDHR\Cuphead\cuphead_settings_data_v1_etc , only change the part that says "chromaticAberration:0.5" to 0.0, changing the other options seems to either have no effect or resetting all the settings.
Thanks, Steam people.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really like the art direction and music of this game and ready the hardship the developers had to take to deliver the game they wanted to make intead the one they could afford speaks volumes of their passion for this project and even though money is kind of tight these days I feel more than happy to have bought this

RapineDel

Augur
I've played it for around half an hour and it's fun enough and a reasonable challenge. You can tell where Microsoft have stuck their noses in with the power ups and run and gun levels (not as good as the individual bosses).

Haven't really explored the world map but that was a nice idea too. Some serious love has obviously gone into this game and I'm glad Microsoft weren't able to make the difficulty absolutely triviel which they probably wanted too.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Really digging it so far. The art direction is top notch, as is the soundtrack. Gameplay is really good too, gives me strong Gunstar Heroes vibes. (moreso than Contra or Metal Slug for me)

It won't happen, but it would be pretty funny if there is a boss somewhere in the game based on those old racial caricatures, like this;
DK9cteKUMAAGYZR.jpg

Kitchen Utensil

Yeah, pretty cool game and quite difficult later on.

Following this game I first thought that the gameplay looked really boring, that this would be another one of those artsy games with shitty gameplay. What a pleasant surprise to find out that it's way more fun to play than watch. It seems to be relatively short though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only negative point for me so far is that there are upgrades/powerups and shit that you slot permanently
They're not permanent in the way you're stuck with something once you pick it, at least I haven't seen it so far. I have two charms and I can change between them before levels. I'm not sure why this progression was necessary in the first place but oh well.

The game's great so far, both boss fights and normal levels. They're all really short, not very hard so far (5 levels in I think) but there are no checkpoints and you can't regain health during levels so it's already more challenging than you'd expect from a modern game.

orcinator

Liturgist
Feels like they could have made the hitboxes a bit more forgiving, considering a lot of the bosses and enemies don't have static sprites. The gravestone phase of the smugball fight is a good example, it's an easy phase but you'll probably get hit if you jump away instead of dashing since the hitbox grows when the gravestone falls.

Also the default peashooter could have been a lot more viable if they had a "lock aiming direction" button in addition to "lock position".

initial impression: Style over substance/10. Not as bad as other indieshits with good graphics but the actual gameplay does feel rather unpolished.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I was looking forward to this, seems like a proper :obviously: platformer. Oldschool design and great looks and decent price to boot.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Installing on Xbone. Figured fuck Steam this time cause Xbone version can be played on PC too.
Watched some streams, looks easy to play but hard as fuck to beat.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished world one. Looks like that's about 1/4 of the game (depending how long the finale is). Game's very fun but looks like it's not very long. It might take long to beat if it gets more difficult though.

how long are levels?
Short. 1-2 minutes. The platformer levels are slightly longer than boss fights, those usually have 3 forms that change when you do enough damage.

Santander02

Arcane
Let me be the first to repost this for the nth time, now everyone can test if they are smarter than a pigeon

Most liked comment: it's not fair, the pigeon doesn't have instructions written all over the place.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

- The game's soundtrack cures cancer. It's sooooo good.
- This is mostly still a boss run kind of game, as far as I've seen there are more bosses than levels. First level is mediocre but I think it just serves as a tutorial. Second is already much better and reminds me of a Donkey Kong Country level, it's pretty fun. Miniboss at the end is cool and somewhat challenging
- Speaking of challenge this game is KICKING MY ASS and I'm pretty good at platformers :lol: The bosses are great fun and pretty challenging. All of them have fun patterns and many different forms through the fight.
- Parry mechanic and lock on (stand and shoot in the 8 directions) are great.
- VERY early into the game it starts to severely punish you for not using all of its mechanics. You HAVE to dash. You HAVE to lock in place and shoot. Ducking is super important. If you don't do these things the battles are tremendously difficult. This is definitely a game that doesn't offend the player's intelligence and believes you're capable of using it all at once.
- It's glorious to look at, just amazing, never seen anything like it really. My old man passed by and got hypnotized by it, kept praising the game's visuals for half an hour.

Very good, accurate summary.

It's so good that you really want to replay the stages to get better grades. Really tense and tight gameplay.
Normally I don't like random elements in these types of games (Jump'n'Runs, Platformers, Shmups), but in Cuphead the randomized attacks and phases, while still annoying sometimes, add to the replay value.

Great little game; which is also the only major criticism from me; it's a bit too short.
8/10

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Storage: 20 GB available space
:what:
WTF?Indie games are 20gbs these days

They overdid it a bit. It's a 10gb game, the compressed download is 2 gb (which is fantastic).

Looking at those graphics and animation, I can certainly see how it got that way.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Those visuals cured me of cancer :smug:

I wanna buy this so badly but business isn't doing so well :(. Maybe next month (hopefully)...

v1rus

Arcane
And to think this game might have slipped under the radar if Dean wasnt an absolute and utter moron.

Kitchen Utensil

And to think this game might have slipped under the radar if Dean wasnt an absolute and utter moron.

Nope.

Long before that it had become Microsoft's laughing stock. One of the few Xbox console exclusives, first revealed at E3 2014, a 2D platformer/run and gun, and they seemed to be incapable of finishing it, presenting it at E3 year after year after year, but it just wouldn't be released. Meanwhile on PS4: Bloodborne, Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Persona 5...

Amazing that it's out and even more amazing how good it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom