Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cuphead

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Nah. I do think the failing journo might have been a viral campaign, but I followed the game long before that.
I don't think is was a campaign. It wrecked the guy's rep, and his magazine's rep.

Failing at the game is one thing. Getting stuck on the tutorial for 8 minutes is another.

Plus as Lambchop19 says, it's actually surprisingly cheap given the production values.
It's gorgeous.

Although I expected a lot more platformer levels between the boss battles instead of the game consisting mostly of boss battles.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
None of you would be playing this if it wasn't for that journalist that couldn't play games. You were viral marketed.

Nah. I do think the failing journo might have been a viral campaign, but I followed the game long before that. A lot of people love old cartoons and were interested in it purely because of the art style.

Plus as Lambchop19 says, it's actually surprisingly cheap given the production values.

I didn't even know about the controversy until I read about it in this thread. Was more hyped about the game due to its aesthetics.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game yesterday. This will likely change on a second playthrough but based on how long it took me to beat them the difficulty was something like Devil > King Dice > Clown > Pirate > everything else. King Dice himself is not really that hard and has low health, it just takes so fucking long to get to him. Once you find an easy path through the minibosses it's pretty simple. I used the default weapon for the entire game, with homing attack as backup for the forms where everything moves and you have no time to aim. The shield you get from homing attack special is very useful in some fights too.

Anyway, the game's great, hope it sells and they make more :incline:

RuySan

Augur
Yes, keyboard gives more precision than an analogue stick, but on the other hand forces you to play the directions with three fingers instead of one, so there's a bigger learning curve.

I play these kind of games with the Wii Classic controller w/ adapter, so unless the game uses too much of triggers (the adapter turns analague triggers into digital and makes them overly sensitive) it's the best option.
The best option is to buy a PS4 controler, honestly. At least if you play a lot of sidescrollers.

Yes, it's been on my wishlist for a while, but other stuff came up first.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who would have thought, people actually enjoy difficulty that doesn't treat them like baboons, and 2d animation where somebody took his time and actually used his imagination. :)

Dexter

Arcane
pol-cuphead1g7u13.png

pol-cuphead284ugm.png

Last edited:

Hyperpube

Scholar
None of you would be playing this if it wasn't for that journalist that couldn't play games. You were viral marketed.
I wanted it as soon as I saw it when it was announced . Me and my brother have been mentioning this game and wondering what the release date was for years

Deflowerer

Arcane
Grown people whining online that a game is too hard?

Strangest part is how entitled people are to a fucking entertainment (or art) product, as if seeing everything and completing it is a right akin to a human right.

For crying out loud, with the exception of certain multiplayer games, games are readily available and purchasable for everyone (at least to your average person who has enough disposable income and leisure time to discuss games on the internet) and largely playable and finishable by all as long as you invest time and patience in it. You don't have to belong to a fucking nobility to have access to these games, only thing stopping you is your own fucking laziness.

Strangest part is how entitled people are to a fucking entertainment (or art) product, as if seeing everything and completing it is a right akin to a human right.
A human right? No. But when you pay for entertainment, you might want it.

And they think entertainment = instant gratification.

We were raised to think entertainment could also be about overcoming challenges. They were roped in to gaming during the age of cellphone and flash games. The age of quicktime events that you literally win by pressing a button.

And finally, you add to that that they were raised with participation trophies and the like. To suddenly be told, "no, second place is the first loser" by a game is a huge blow to their spoiled egos.

RuySan

Augur
This is one of the best looking games i've ever played, and the kind of stuff that I always wished existed since the first times i "played" Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. But, I'm not really a Boss rush kind of guy, and I prefer my boss fights fast and furious, like in Hollow Knight and Order of Ecclesia (except for that crab in the lighthouse that can go fuck himself), and these are just too spongy.

It's a fantastic game for a specific kind of player. It just isn't for me.

I will keep having the game installed though, just to marvel myself every now and then.

seems to me it's the type of game to pick up and put down every now and then.

if I play it all at once, I'll just get either bored or frustrated. My platformer skillz are rusty and I have no gamepad.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also read a few times how the Train stage is good.... Plebs are retarded. The Train stage is fucking trivial. There is literally a safe space in every phase... Fucking morons. You dont have to move in phase 1 or phase 2 or phase 3...
Bosses on Isle 3 are wild. Either easy like Isle 1 or batshit...
Yeah, the train is one of the easiest bosses, the worst thing is probably hitting the switches to move the platform on accident. The final form is a little harder because the fire moves in random patterns but that's only when you're doing damage it and it dies fast.

Kitchen Utensil

My verdict after completing the game with mostly A ratings (will do S in the coming weeks) and about 20 hours played:

It's a great, incredibly polished indie game that shows what's possible when devs put their hearts into their project. That's what I'd call it if I'd be forced to describe it in one word: polished. Great graphics, great art style (even if it's not your cup of tea you have to appreciate how well made it is), incredible attention to detail, superbly fitting soundtrack, absolutely solid gameplay and everything seems to come together effortlessly.
The only thing I personally don't really like is the RNG. It's a bit too much in some stages and I would have preferred more stages/bosses but in turn everything with less randomised elements.

Still, very good game. Amazing that Microsoft supported such incline.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Arcade shooter inspired by 1930s cartoons? Great game concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom