Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Latelistener

Arcane
My living costs are pretty low to begin with (no debts) so I can throw money at games if I want.
MyVTfql.jpg

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Sometimes it's fun to throw caution to the wind and just buy something sight unseen. I do the same sser for stuff I have been looking forward to. Sometimes you get a buggy mess, sometimes it's fine. It reminds me of walking into a game store and just picking something up cuz of the cool cover art, though of course, you have way more information for reference today.

I'm not gonna preorder this game, but will probably buy it on day 1.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I'm going to buy it day 1 as well. I'm really interested in how it turns out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Why are people so opposed to pre-ordering? Do you have to pay in advance or what? In Finland pre-ordering just means that you're reserving your copy on launch day, paying in advance is entirely optional.

Regarding the CoC game, I'm still sitting on the fence here. On one hand it's Cthulhu, but on the other hand it seems to be a walking / talking sim. I need some kind of combat in my horror games, even if it's not the most effective approach. I'm not asking for a full blown action game like Dark Corners, but it's not really beyond the realm of Lovecraft to gun down a few cultists here and there.

Puukko

Arcane
Got this on my radar now, I wanted something spooky to play for Halloween and few things fit the bill better than some Lovecraft. The studio has some RPG experience beforehand (Aarklash, 2012 GoT) but I'll wait for some initial impressions. CDKeys has the game for 33€ which is a reasonable price.

Delterius

Arcane
Hello.

I'm currently suffering of urban/modern fantasy withdrawal since Secret World died officially and am like

bigstock-Alcoholic-Drunk-Man-Thinkingl-68789221-10-1024x669.jpg

but i know nothing about the prospects of this game's development.

can it save my brain from depression? y/n

thanks a bunch

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i know nothing about the prospects of this game's development.
can it save my brain from depression? y/n
We don't know yet. Wait for reviews.

My impression based on a few previews and trailers is that this will be a very talky, cutscene-y game where you walk from A to B to C and click on clues and listen to the voice actor talk about them, and have a ton of conversations, at least in the first half. A lot is going to come down to whether the main character is likeable or annoying (so far he doesn't seem bad but not cool or memorable either.) I guess it's supposed to get harsher and "run away-y-er" later in the game but they've been careful not to show any of this. All under a pall of darkness and eerie green light.

I feel about this about the same as I felt about Vampyr during development, and then Vampyr came out and best testing by others indicates it's probably not worth playing. Right now my intention is to play it unless reviews lower my opinion further, and to pay no more than $20 for it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Cyanide has a history of making flawed, if not enjoyable games. Something like a diamond in the rough. So I expect this to be similar.

Beowulf

Arcane
A little to pricey for a flawed gem for me.
Most likely will wait for a sale.
Or, if it turns up really good, maybe I'll treat myself with a good electronic entertainment item for a present.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have to say I'm getting a bit tired of the standard Cthulhu adaptations. While it'd definitely be cool to have an investigative game where you never even try to fight the horrors, I'd be 200% more interested if someone took the risk to make a game where you actually traverse the Dreamlands.

Andhaira

Arcane
Will wait for the Humanity has risen! review. HHR is an afficando of first person horrors.

The fact that you apparently can't fight in this game is an immediate negative for me though; the CoC RPG does allow you to fight. Yes its dangerous and highly lethal, but if you want to take out a couple of cultists with a pistol, a baseball bat, or even your fists you have that option. You can also destroy them with spells.

That solo RPG from the 90s that takes place in the creepy cthulhu like house was the most CoC inspired RPG i've ever played btw. Shame a game so old had so much more depth, and killer graphics too back in the day. This game you can't even generate your own character.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If it's just a lovecraft-themed adventure game then I might skip it because, yeah, I like adventure games too but frankly Frogwares's weird mess Sinking City will probably do that specific thing better. They actually know how to make an investigation game and have even done lovecraft before a few times, even if Sinking City still looks bizarre and pretty shoddy graphically.

Cyanide has done RPGs before, so if it were one I'd be more on their side, but I don't trust them to write a narrative good enough to carry the game on its own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom