Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay Reveal Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

Needless to say, Cyberpunk 2077 was at Gamescom last week, and once again, the press got to see a demo behind closed doors. We're told that it's the same demo that was shown at E3, except this time the protagonist V was male and a few alternate choices were made during certain quests. We common gamers only got to see a few screenshots of this, something which made a lot of people upset. I don't know whether it's because of that or if this was their plan all along, but today CD Projekt initiated a mystery stream on their Twitch channel which turned out to be a 48 minute video of that same demo build.

It starts with character creation, where a female V is once again selected. After a Call of Duty-esque hostage rescue introductory sequence, she wakes up in her apartment with a new job offer. From there, things go the way you'd expect. Meeting with a hotshot fixer, visiting a street doctor for some new cybernetic implants, a risky rendezvous with a corporate agent, infiltrating the hideout of a dangerous gang, and to cap it off, an action-packed shootout with high level abilities enabled. It's impressive, all right - a fully realized cyberpunk world. But I will say it's difficult to tell how much choice & consequence the game really offers from this video. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Once again, one of the video's final frames contains a hidden note from CD Projekt:

Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, Twitter, Facebook, Discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by 'immersion' when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of 'cyberpunk by day' make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and Gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this 'we're not 100% sure' limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky—we don't want gamers saying 'But in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'Why did you change the interface?' Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like 1:1.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience—you.

So... here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED​

So there you have it, the long-awaited Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay reveal. What comes next? Maybe we'll see more of the game at The Game Awards later this year. I wonder how much of it is complete - and whether CD Projekt can possibly pack this much detail into a full-sized world.

Drowed

Arcane
True, this doesn't look like an RPG at all, but it looks fun and pretty. And the density of NPCs in the environment is really interesting, it makes the city really look alive. Actually maybe even a little too claustrophobic - as if too many things had been put in a small area. But that may just be their intention.

ColCol

Arcane
Just started. Nothing more heartbreaking than seeing those numbers come off of people shot. Can't wait to head shot people four times.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The quality of the writing and the setting will play a major part in whether or not the game is going to be a good one. The gameplay doesn't look anything special, but that's to be expected from a first person shooter (as the real fun in a FPS is the multiplayer). All the gameplay needs to do is function as a good enough medium to facilitate interesting stories and characters. The two characters don't seem to be anything special, but not enough has been shown for a proper evaluation of whether or not they're shit. The angry Latino could work if they manage to make him actually funny+charming (which is what makes big, angry latinos funny IRL), and it's extremely hard for me to identify with a female protagonist; so hopefully the male is better. As long as the two characters can compliment each others edginess with some endearing qualities, it can work. All that being said, I don't have high expectations for this game because I doubt they'll get it right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just started. Nothing more heartbreaking than seeing those numbers come off of people shot. Can't wait to head shot people four times.
Thought Pondsmith was going to enforce Friday Night Firefight. :rpgcodex:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Cyberpunk? More like Skyrimpunk.
More like Cyberout 4.

Serious FO 4/new vegas vibes for the quests and combat system.

meh. the look of it is cool. the game itself doesn't have e excited yet. non-linearity and actual C&C (not like we see here) will be the major selling points for me.

There was a distinctive lack of the lean feature during the shoot-out. That doesn't bode well for stealth missions. Might be for the best though, to prevent this from being a total "cover shooter". At the moment, it looks like a superior derivative of Mass Effect II. I'm not invested in this, which I'm fine with. Lets me keep an open mind.

Zakhad

Savant
Choose diplomatic option when dealing with dangerous cybergang. Diplomacy fails. Own dangerous cybergang easily. Such choices, such consequences.

They did say you could have chosen another option (like telling them about the corp instead of giving them the shard). The fight was easy because they added a whole load of extra cyber upgrades in order to show them off for the demo.

Still could be bad, but demo didn't prove what you're suggesting it did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom