Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay Reveal Video

himmy

Arcane
I don't usually say thing like this, because I think it's not fair to place medical diagnoses on people, bu I'm fairly sure that people who think all cyberpunk settings require eternal night and rain because that's the way Bladerunner did it have some sort of mental damage. It's like saying you can't have a fantasy setting without hobbits and magical rings.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It looks bland (in this pre-alpha build) - but I appreciate that it is FPS, like VtM:B and DX and F:NV, and not 3rd person like GTA and other dumb shit.

I'm cautiously optimistic and for the first time in a long time, I'm feeling ... slightly excited for an upcoming game.

:stunned:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't usually say thing like this, because I think it's not fair to place medical diagnoses on people, bu I'm fairly sure that people who think all cyberpunk settings require eternal night and rain because that's the way Bladerunner did it have some sort of mental damage. It's like saying you can't have a fantasy setting without hobbits and magical rings.

I agree but usually cyberpunk settings are set in post-industrial dystopias and unfortunately Night City is too clean, sunny and functional for that.

But the game will feature a dynamic weather system therefore we might even see nights with rain.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey, William Gibson approves of the way they did the daylight parts, who are we to complain?

The thing that has me excited was when you had the gun to your head during the conversation with the Corp lady. When you looked at her, you had dialogue options. When you looked at the guy with the gun, you had a “grab the gun” option. That’s fucking awesome, and it has a ton of role playing potential. I know they said this kind of stuff is why they made it first person, so I hope there’s a lot of it, with your dialogue options changing based on where you look.

Naraya

Arcane
I downloaded the reveal in glorious 4k, upped the contrast and lowered the gamma. Game looks fucking magnificent. I am thrilled to see what will be possible to achieve using a well-crafted Reshade preset on the finished product.

I'll be honest, it's been a long time since I was so excited for a game.

Darkzone

Arcane
Great game. I hope no nazis are working on it because I would really like it to come out.
Poles are against Communists and Nazis:
th

And if nazis would work on it then anything that would have had an "coming out" would land in an concentration camp, that are mostly located in Poland, so in that matter the way wouldn't be that long.

It's not coming out.
Because it is not gay, it is dystopian noir instead.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Has that instagram color filter going on, where everything is a muddled tan color but the yellow and blue are eye-gougingly vibrant.

I probably won't touch this until it's the enhanced super delux edition for 9.99 or something.

Also, lol at the latino stereotype. ORALLLEEE

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Wow people are still talking having the "muh daylight" discussion.

Since I am a lazy fuck will just quote myself.

You guys are missing the point. It's not the fact that game has daytime that's the problem, it's the tone seem in the images and trailer that don't make it feel like a Cyberpunk setting.

There are good Cyberpunk stories that have set pieces during daytime, but even during those set pieces their mood is still consistent with what the setting represents and it's themes. Unlike the vibes Cyberpunk 2077 has. Compare the following:

MV5BNTcxNjlmYmUtNjY2NS00MTE3LTgwMTMtMWIyNDUyOTc1YWU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYzNTI2ODc@._V1_.jpg

serveimage
MV5BMWM5MTZiZTUtNTIyMy00NzM1LThkMDMtMTdhNWMxZDU5YjI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1OTEwNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1288,1000_AL_.jpg

Ghost_Shell_1995_Screenshot_0998.jpg
MV5BOTJlMzY3NzgtOWY5OC00NTIxLTg4OTQtOTg5YWE4MmI1OWMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ3NzIyNTQ@._V1_.jpg
serveimage

Akira_Screenshot_0738.jpg

Akira_Screenshot_0817.jpg

MV5BNDkxNzY5MjIxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5NjUyMjI@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,744_AL_.jpg

MV5BNjEzYmVjMTYtMmE0MC00NjAzLWIxMTgtZTliZjNkZjMxYjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg2ODI2OTU@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

blade-runner-2049-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Blade-Runner-blade-runner-2049-movies-car-futuristic-snow-winter-Ryan-Gosling-Harrison-Ford-1240257.jpg

serveimage

serveimage

Despite their different places their atmosphere is consistent with the setting. These feel depressing almost hopeless.

Now comparing with ''Cyberpunk'' 2077:

VK1ksEy.png
cwS8ITH.png
mSVd8rb.png
tN0rEm2.png

Everything is so clean, colorful and vibrant. Isn't this supposed to be a fucking dystopia?

They also fails at small and quite logical details of the setting. For example, 'punks' are supposed to be the counterculture. However here they are shown advertisements. So... wouldn't that make it the opposite of a counter culture?

Even when comparing to the original Cyberpunk artwork and descriptions, this game makes no connection:
6YpikKz2SzAyUui3mwNqhA.jpg

Or even general 80's Cyberpunk aesthetics:

serveimage
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage

city-bridge-768x364.png

Hell even when the man that defined the setting/genre says that it isn't very Cyberpunk.

As for the GTA V comparisions. No it's not autism, the city looks similar to LA and this trailer they showed resembles a lot of the first GTA V trailer, even in tone:

Lx4G9Hr.png

1528669668044.png

Totally Cyberpunk.

spoiler alert: Deus Ex will still be the best Cyberpunk game.

You took the words from my mouth.

:hero:

MrMarbles

Cipher
This looks incredible.
Wanna play right now!

I could use some sort of cyberpunk dictionary though, that lingo is weird.

Go read Neuromancer right now.

It looks like a shooter with rpg-bits, so unless there is solid character building there it will be a pass

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
didnt watch all of it. Does it show, at any point, proper shooting - slow rate of fire weapon and landing head shots?
What criteria are we using for proper shooting here, because proper shooting in reality involves aiming at the torso because the head is too small a target (unless you're sniping a stationary target from a safe distance of course).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest it has this... New Vegas meets Deus Ex vibe to it, I like it

So far everything CDPR does has been great to me so I trust this will be another enjoyable game with great narrative, mature themes, top of the line C+C and some nice graphics... who knows if they will be able to pull off the FPS aspects to be like in Stalker (your equipment and accuracy decide) New Vegas (attributes decide damage and hit ratio) or Borderlines (shooting galore for all boys and girls)

I have not read neuromancer or androids in like 15 years but to my knowledge they nailed the garish, neon light and noir themes, and if William Gibson say it is ok (as in pretty much the father of cyberpunk) who am I to disagree?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Surprised, aesthetically solid, seems decently well written for the boring quest they showed. Now to see if they can pull a good game and that quality for 20 hours +.

Gerrard

Arcane
What an edgy, street trash, whore protagonist. Most of the video was cringy as fuck.
You can totally create your own character though! (S)he will always have the same annoying as fuck personality but you can change how (s)he looks! ROLEPLAYING!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom