Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

agris

Arcane
Patron
The comparison to W3 is inevitable and unfortunate. What are the chances we end up dodging, rolling and engineering nanobot consumables - all with a screen covered in POI and interactable indicators.

Though, if a man could dream, a terminator-style piece of tech we implant that actually changes the entire screen would be amazing.

102SCC_Vick_identified_Cameron_Cyborg.JPG

Zer0wing

Cipher
Dodging, rolling and engineering shit is not out of place in CP PnP, so what's so wrong here? I'm sure everyone here would agree that the game should be alot more lethal (easier to die in) than The Witcher 3 though and based all around equipment, the better one which should cost a shitton of money so doing quests, shaking citizens for money and running errands would make sense.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Zer0wing Personal preference, but I just don't like 3rd person perspective god of war-style combat. If those actions (dodging, rolling) are activated by stats, then fine, but twitch gameplay? No thanks.

And yeah, nanobots doesn't sound too bad. Only stupid. MEMS bots though? that has promise.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Eh, it's a real time (with jumping into inventory pause :shittydog:) action game, so manual dodging, rolling, jumping into cover or "o-ho-hooo everybody's kung fu fighting" is pretty much expected. The other questions, will your actions ever succeed or not or how far you'd ever run or jump. That's where stats are entering. I personally think Kingdom Come: Deliverance did a good job at marrying stat-based rpg with Oblivion sandbox and where to look for. The combat is a mess but at least tougher, more skilled enemies are actually telegraphing player character fails.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's interesting that you mention KCD, because it's an example that I wouldn't consider twitch at all - like you said, the game telegraphs. It's also one of the few games that, like Alpha Protocol, restricts the player's ability to make their character (re)act based on the character's skill. Think aiming any weapon in AP. As somewhat of an abstraction, this is also what Gothic 1 and 2 did. And enemies telegraphed their attacks such that the player, if observant, could learn their attack patterns and adjust.

Is the above different than other real time action games like GoW or TW3? I haven't actually played either enough to know, but I do know that limiting the precision of player actions and timing based on their character's stats is not popular. It's why a lot of people really dislike the gunplay in AP, whereas I thoroughly enjoyed playing Rambo-Thorton. Years ago I played a GoW, and it just felt like button smashing. I hated it.

Was TW3 more in the vein of KCD / AP? Maybe I should give it a fair shake.

Loostreaks

Learned
Seems they're ramping up marketing and inviting ton of streamers/Ytubers for offscreen presentation. So where's Infinitron, anyway?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's interesting that you mention KCD, because it's an example that I wouldn't consider twitch at all - like you said, the game telegraphs. It's also one of the few games that, like Alpha Protocol, restricts the player's ability to make their character (re)act based on the character's skill. Think aiming any weapon in AP. As somewhat of an abstraction, this is also what Gothic 1 and 2 did. And enemies telegraphed their attacks such that the player, if observant, could learn their attack patterns and adjust.

Is the above different than other real time action games like GoW or TW3? I haven't actually played either enough to know, but I do know that limiting the precision of player actions and timing based on their character's stats is not popular. It's why a lot of people really dislike the gunplay in AP, whereas I thoroughly enjoyed playing Rambo-Thorton. Years ago I played a GoW, and it just felt like button smashing. I hated it.

Was TW3 more in the vein of KCD / AP? Maybe I should give it a fair shake.

I feel like Piranha Bytes is the only studio that does a good job of integrating character skill and player skill in an ARPG, like what Alpha Protocol does but executed much better, at least in Gothic 1&2 and Risen. KCD had a sweet spot where its combat was fun, but once you leveled your stats up too much it became unbearably easy. Witcher 3 combat is much closer to a pure action game; leveling your combat skills can unlock a few new moves but mostly it just boosts damage output or defensive stats.

Taskityo

Educated
Thronebreaker is based on the events in the books where Geralt meets Meve, a Queen of Lyria and Rivia. So no, CDPR is just doing what they do, being huge fans of the Witcher novels. It is probably one of the more significant parts where Geralt is officially knighted by Meve.

Russian illustration from Baptism of Fire
Illustration by Jana Komarkova (Czech Republic)

deama

Prophet
Hopefully when you shoot someone in the head with a magnum, his head will explode, even if he's 100 levels above you.

Gerrard

Arcane
There is literally zero information about the game, everything is speculation based on job positions and empty promises from 5 years ago.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Thronebreaker is based on the events in the books where Geralt meets Meve, a Queen of Lyria and Rivia. So no, CDPR is just doing what they do, being huge fans of the Witcher novels. It is probably one of the more significant parts where Geralt is officially knighted by Meve.

We'll see if the propaganda isn't inserted

I believe not

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This drawing style takes me back to my teens. It's also objectively good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018

Just ahead of E3, CD Projekt Red have filed a new Cyberpunk trademark

Update, June 5: CD Projekt Red have filed a trademark for Cyberpunk 2077 ahead of E3.

We were already pretty certain that we’d be seeing Cyberpunk 2077 at E3, after developers CD Projekt Red confirmed they will be presenting an RPG for PC and console at the expo. Barring the surprise reveal of The Witcher 4, there was really only one thing that game could be.

Now, CDPR have filed a trademark for Cyberpunk 2077. It tells us admittedly little, other than the name of the game, the filing date (June 4), and its logo. It does, however, act to corroborate the information gleaned from the exhibitor listing that confirmed the developers’ appearance at the show.

Despite that trademark, we don’t yet know the Cyberpunk 2077 release date. There are a few things we do know, though. For one thing, it will definitely come to Steam. By taking a look at the original Cyberpunk tabletop game, we can also get a something of an idea about what we might discover when we actually get to play the game.

Hints have suggested we’d see the game at E3 from as early as January this year. Frankly, it’s about time - it’s been five years since the first teaser.

Thankfully, there have been various rumblings over the past few months, beginning with simple tweet from the largely silent Cyberpunk twitter account. The wait is very nearly over, with potentially just a few more days before we get a proper look at Cyberpunk 2077.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Does CD project red have its own conference or something? Or where would they show this game? Sony press conference?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom