Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA Circlejerk Round-Robin - Currently Showing: The Adventures of Baron Von Schwarznatter

Cassidy

Arcane
B

What do the dwarfs brew underground? Vodka out of subterranean potato?

: x

Or something best not thought about?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
All this voting is all fine and dandy, bros, but a sucker volunteer needs to be found first to put it into effect :troll:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
My writing skills are zero, much less in engrish. I keep to reading and voting.

Cassidy

Arcane
I focused a lot on another CYOA but alright:

============

Word on the street of the strangest things ever

It was fortunate that all dwarven brews had a strong scent, because otherwise that tavern would have other far less pleasant smells standing out. The place was not the most comfortable for a human, because naturally its seats and tables were too short to the point the Baron decided it would be more comfortable to eat and drink while standing. He ordered and drank something that reminded him of that vodka a Kislevite visitor once brought to his castle, back when he lived in one. The dwarves seemed a bit closed, but they didn't mind him at all either, talking normally among themselves.

"Aye lads, you not gonna believe how I made through after being spotted by hundreds of those damnable Chaos legions!" a boisterous dwarf was announcing to a small group of them near him, and his loud voice made it impossible for Von Schwarznatter to not pay attention to it as he enjoyed his drink.

"They 'ere like all around a strange warp portal or something, they were entering in it lads, you see, and they spotted me as I was scouting that blasted place in the mountains... there goes Nilfgarm, I first thought, but those blasted Khorne warriors simply continued getting inside that curst portal instead of turning back to slaughter me! By the depths of Earth, it was the greatest disappointment I ever had with the foe! But..." the stubby little man exhibited a lump of gold to the crowd listening to his tale, "whatever they wanted they were so oblivious to everything else they forgot a lot of it. I'm not saying it is a good idea to go there, because they may return, but this was the most unexpected event ever."

"Maybe there is more blood on the other side of this portal than yours, Nilfgarm." another dwarf commented, "So, about that thing, if you ain't making this up, is it still there?"

"Yes, last time I went there to catch more of the shinies those monsters have forsaken the portal was still there, but there was literally no presence of Chaos anymore. That band clearly crossed it, and I hope they went very far away. Of course, I'd praise Gork and Mork first than step into that hellish thing... and I haven't told you the weirdest part of it"

"Tell us!" a curious crowd asked.

"A human soldier came out of the portal while I was gathering gold, a bloodied, dying human, and not from Chaos. He looked like an Empire soldier and spoke a language I couldn't understand yet sounded similar, but... no. Those red, white and red colors definitively are not from the Empire lads! I even have a theory: Blasted Chaos is going off-world! There was an almost completely destroyed parchment with that dying man, here," he showed it to the crowd "It was written in a familiar but different language, and only two words and a number that appears to be the year this parchment was written were visible amidst all the scorch marks:

"As far as I know the Empire only got Ostland and Ostermark," the dwarf continued, "thus whatever "Österreich" is, I am sure it is not a typo on Ostermark or mistranslation. Again, I believe it came from another world now having unpleasant new visitors, and as another evidence for that, did any of you ever heard of this 'Osmanisches Reich'? And 1683? I don't think the them humans had firesticks in 1683. I think that is from that other world's calendar, whatever it is."

"Really? This is unbelievable!"

"I tell you, this is real! And this ain't bad news. Maybe this will relieve us a bit if Chaos stretch out between several worlds."

"Time will tell on that, time will tell."

"A portal leading to Sigmar knows where, that could be a literal another world and gold all around it?" the Baron wondered, considering to change his mind regarding how to restart his lost fortune.

1) Nevermind the thane! This is certain gold! Ask Nilfgarm to lead you to this pile of wealth and that mysterious portal.

2) Better not take any chances with Chaos. Continue with the plan of making a deal with the Thane, using the little that was heard on him in the tavern in his favor.

3) Enough of dwarfs! Head to the lands of the Border Princes, which may provide better opportunities for making a fortune.

4) Enough of dwarfs! The dead don't need gold. Maybe they won't miss a little of it in Sylvania.

5) Enough of this grim, dark and depressing world! Not only get as much gold as he can near that portal the dwarf mentioned, but also definitively cross it! That Österreich will definitively have opportunities for the Baron to remake his fortune, specially if they have no idea about Chaos and would welcome someone who knows their newest enemy well.

PS: Option 1) does not stop the next writer from adding a separate "cross the portal" option in the following update, but 5) is the "I AM GOING TO CROSS IT FOR SURE, REMOVE ORKEBAB FROM THE PREMISES!" choice.

Did you really think I'd merely dismiss my "Shadowrun-style magic suddenly happens in Modern Era Europe" idea? Whether have a 1683 Earth - Warhammer Fantasy crossover or not is your choice.

:M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Excellent, excellent. Clearly world hopping is the best idea for a round-robin LP.

Voting 5

Kipeci

Arcane
5 is our choice

Ungern-Sternberg-1920.jpg
is our hope

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, any one up for the next round? I'll take it in two days time if there's no other volunteers.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Maiden Expedition, without Maidens

The rumours were correct on every account.

There was a portal, a neat and tidy affair that did not look like anything affiliated with Chaos - those tended to have rather more tentacles and blight and screams of the damned.

This portal was a round, black hole, floating unassumingly in the air. It was wide enough for five men marching abreast to enter, and as such it was certainly wide enough for the Hi Ho Tank to pass through.

The tank chimney whistles with scalding steam, causing you to jump from your precariously close seat.

"Nutters!" you curse.

"Can't you shut up for a second, human?" shouts the dwarf below.

"The steam, Bambi, my boy, the steam!" you holler back. "Watch where it goes!"

"The name's Banbhe, and you better watch your mouth or I'll use you as kindling. Boy? Pah!" The dwarf begins to grumble.

You give a nervous gulp and concede the argument. It was tough, even with the widespread gossip, to find anyone willing to take a impoverished human noble all the way through the portal. It was doubly tough to find anyone willing to take Baron von Schwartznatter, lest they angered the powerful metalsmithing clans of Stonehamster. They had never really gotten over the whole beard and charcoal incident.

Your only option had been to ride with a particularly eccentric and disgruntled engineer on a test voyage of his steam tank - he too was desperate for an assistant. Banbhe claimed that the Hi Ho Tank was well equipped for extra-dimensional travel, with an air-tight covering, its own oxygen supply and a design that allowed it to traverse both land and water (with inflatable balloons).

"It is all-terrain." he claimed proudly.

"It can't fly." you pointed out.

"Not yet." he grudgingly admitted.

So here you were, a (former) Baron of the Empire, shovelling coal into the steam tank's furnace. That is fine. Soon you will be shovelling gold!

The passage through the portal is much more mundane than you had expected. It is as if you had just passed through a doorway from one room to another. One moment you were in the rocky wasteland of those blasted mountains, the next, you were in a sea of sand.

"Lovely place." you mutter. "Where's the gold?"

"On the bright side, there's no sign of those Chaos bastards around, laddie. It looks like a pretty normal dimension to me. We can probably breath the air." says Banbhe, lowering the glass port-hole covers and turning off the oxygen tanks.

"I would have expected it to lead somewhere more... civilized," you complain. "This is the middle of nowhere. Where do we go from here?"

Your query is answered instantly. A loud horn is sounded, and a horde of camels crest the sandy dune. There are humans riding them, and as they approach a few of them begin firing their weapons at the Hi Ho Tank. The bullets plink harmlessly off the tank's plating, but Banbhe seems to be quite scared of their appearance.

"That's it, we're getting out of here. I'm not about to drive around the desert fleeing from some camels. I need to build some anti-camel countermeasures before I return here." mutters the dwarf. "Camels. Camels. Damn my beard, camels camels camels! Everywhere I go there are camels!" It seems that he has some sort of camel-phobia.

He begins to throw the tank into reverse, but you stay his hand.

"What?" he snaps. "What is it you want now? Get back to shovelling the coal so we can get out of here quickly!"

You...

A. FIRE THE HI HO CANNON! No camels can stand before the might of 40 pounds of Imperial iron hurtling towards them at ludicrous speed!

B. Attempt to negotiate with the camels, or at least their riders. You have no camel-phobia. To turn tail and flee the moment you set foot in a new land is unbefitting behaviour for a Von Schwartznatter. You should at least plot up something here before you do.

C. Return to Stonehamster so that Banbhe can build his anti-camel countermeasures. You can never have enough countermeasures, particularly against camels. Nasty creatures, you avoid them whenever you can.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Fucking camels. We need anti-camel countermeasures, but first we should test the cannon. A.

Anabanana

Augur
We get into a new world and the first thing we do is blow up everything we see? Seriously?

B.

Cassidy

Arcane
I need volunteers!

:necro:

A) FIRE!

==================

Mobile Dwarf Fortress

The Baron quickly aimed, before the dwarf would get back to retreating to that portal which reliability he was less sure about than that of the steam tank. Those camel riders under a green banner with strange writings stood no chance, for their guns couldn't even get through the armor. It was about time to put its cannon to a test, by pulling the lever to fire.

The cannon ball flew from the barrel and stroke hard against their band. They immediately routed, and quickly vanished through the desert. Those are the good news, and he was glad that this whole ordeal with those barbarians was over. The bad news were printed over the dead body of the dwarf, smashed by a part of the tank's roof that was literally torn apart by the gun's pressure due to poor workmanship, and that he barely managed to dodge. It was quite beyond repair at this point. And to make things worse, the portal they got through just disappeared.

"Great! Why did I foolishly trust a dwarf who fear camels?", Von Schwarznatter thought, as he crawled out of the wreckage. It would be ironic to die with his pockets full of gold, but he didn't give up. Taking a look around with more careful, he noticed a distant blue across this wasteland, to the northwest. Before delving there, he checked the bodies of the sand people killed by the suicidal machine. One of the muskets was still serviceable, and he took it just in case, together with ammunitions and black powder. Likewise, he found a handful of water, but no food. At least he wouldn't die of dehydration.

It was a much longer walk than he expected, but finally the lake was found. The sands were gradually giving place to more rugged but equally desolate hills and mountains, and there, he was already thirsty as he stood by the lakeside, and quickly grabbed some in a waterskin, drinking immediately, too quickly for him to notice something.

"By Sigmar's hammer! This isn't clean water, this is worse than sea water! Like salt mixed with water!"

The landscape was changing, and the air seemed to get less dry the further he went on, but more noticeable was the thick layer of smoke coming up from the northwest, which could only be from a city being razed. Looking up at that, the Baron wondered on his next move.

1) Move onward to the direction of the smoke to the northwest, circling around this useless lake of salt with a handful of water. Where a city lies water and food may be found, even if there is something razing such city right now, and from the quantity of smoke, it is either a WAAAGH!, a horde of Chaos or something worse native to this world.

2) Head to the southwest instead, hoping to find either a lake or a sea, preferably with a port so he can travel to more civilized and familiar lands where more of his languages will be understood than only the one he speaks from the barrel of a gun.

3) From the northern shore of this lifeless inland sea, head on north, where the hills appear to give way to mountains through the far horizon, and hope to find a city along the way.

4) The camel riders retreated towards the northeast, maybe that is a good direction to head to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom