Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Alchemist

Arcane
http://company.wizards.com/content/...thrilling-dungeons-dragons-launch-summer-2014
Wizards of the Coast Announces Thrilling
Dungeons & Dragons Launch for Summer 2014

Players fight the most fearsome monster of all time
in an exciting multi-platform gaming experience

December 19, 2013 – Renton, WA – Wizards of the Coast today announced that the highly-anticipated new rules system for Dungeons & Dragons will release in summer 2014. After nearly two years of an open public playtest and more than 175,000 playtest participants, the rules are complete. Players will be immersed in rich storytelling experiences across multiple gaming platforms as they face off against the most fearsome monster of all time.

“Just like a perfectly balanced party, Wizards has worked cohesively with fans, designers and partners to create the next generation of D&D,” said Nathan Stewart, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons. “We whole-heartedly thank all of the play test participants, whose feedback has proven instrumental in shaping the future of Dungeons & Dragons.”

More information about the exciting Dungeons & Dragons entertainment offerings will be available in early 2014. To learn more about D&D, visit dungeonsanddragons.com.
:hmmm:

They should fire their PR company - that was horrible.

Alchemist

Arcane
What does multiplatform even mean in this context?
I have no idea - but I'm guessing that means there will digital apps that tie into it. If that is the case, I hope they hired some competent developers this time.

Alex

Arcane
I have no idea - but I'm guessing that means there will digital apps that tie into it. If that is the case, I hope they hired some competent developers this time.

Now that I think of it, maybe it just means that they will realease the pdf together with the book or something, though if that is so, that is a pretty shitty way of saying that.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played 5E (I wholeheartedly refuse to call it next) a few times during the playtest and I actually really liked it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I didn't play it but reading the playtest materials I thought it was alright. For D&D anyway.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm mainly critiquing the press release which just doesn't seem inspiring at all. It sounds like the pitch for a new WoW raid (fight the most fearsome monster of all). Probably the terrasque?

But I'll give the new edition a shot - I'm cautiously optimistic about it. From the little bit I read (early playtest packets) it seems an improvement over 4E (which I didn't like much at all). I should give the more recent materials a solid read. I'm pretty firmly entrenched in old school D&D and Pathfinder, but I'll see what it has to offer.

I played 5E (I wholeheartedly refuse to call it next) a few times during the playtest and I actually really liked it.
I think they're dropping the Next moniker anyway - notice it doesn't appear anywhere in the press release. They will likely call it just D&D, with 5th edition somewhere on the book.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I played the latest playtest version and found it quite nice. The general feel of the game was much closer to 2nd ed than 3rd or 4th, but with coherent and clean rules unlike the pile of random bullshit that was 2nd ed.

Combat is vastly simpler than 4th edition. That is both good and bad, fights are over much faster so you can fit a proper dungeon crawl in an evening's play, but it also makes combat mostly about dice rolling, unlike 4th ed where positioning and tactics are very important.

Supposedly 5th ed will come with an optional rules "module" for more tactical combat, but it remains to see how well they can pull it off.

Caim

Arcane

Now that I think of it, maybe it just means that they will realease the pdf together with the book or something, though if that is so, that is a pretty shitty way of saying that.
Didn't downloadable PDFs bite them so hard in the ass that after PHB2 for 4E (which was put up for download about an hour after release) Wizards abandoned the whole downloading idea?

Alchemist

Arcane
The general feel of the game was much closer to 2nd ed than 3rd or 4th, but with coherent and clean rules unlike the pile of random bullshit that was 2nd ed.
I like the sound of that. Something in between the complexity of later editions and the rules light of old-school.
Didn't downloadable PDFs bite them so hard in the ass that after PHB2 for 4E (which was put up for download about an hour after release) Wizards abandoned the whole downloading idea?
They did at the time, but a while back they changed that policy: http://www.dndclassics.com/

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm betting the multi-platform thing is facebook + twitter + books + cellphone app... marketing suits love that shit.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm betting the multi-platform thing is facebook + twitter + books + cellphone app... marketing suits love that shit.
Smartphones maybe - but I think the Facebook fad has passed, thank goodness. WotC actually abandoned the 4E Facebook game they had, in favor of developing for phones and tablets. D&D Arena of War is their latest digital effort.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Smartphones maybe - but I think the Facebook fad has passed, thank goodness. WotC actually abandoned the 4E Facebook game they had, in favor of developing for phones and tablets. D&D Arena of War is their latest digital effort.
Or maybe Obsidian's unannounced AAA project is a D&D 5th ed CRPG that will be released in tandem with the rulebooks!
:bounce::mca::avatard:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Like others here, I was quite satisfied with what I saw from the playtest sessions I had.

Also, multiplatform might mean an actual cRPG? Do not underestimate the impact that Kickstarter/Legend of Grimrock etc. has had on these companies. Remember that Limbic basically said that Legend of Grimrock was the core reason that Pirou got the go-ahead for Might & Magic X Legacy!

One can dream ;)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hmm.. 4th ed rules couldn't really work for a Baldur's gate style game, due to tactics being all about precise positioning on a grid. 5th ed rules on the other hand should work fine, better than 2nd ed rules.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm.. 4th ed rules couldn't really work for a Baldur's gate style game, due to tactics being all about precise positioning on a grid. 5th ed rules on the other hand should work fine, better than 2nd ed rules.

4th ed. would make for a pretty interesting turn-based game though, like I've said before.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I've been saying the same thing. I really wonder what Wizards' computer game strategy for D&D has been. They've made an MMO, a facebook game, a shitty aRPG, everything except a direct cRPG version of the latest edition of the game. What exactly is the market segment they have been trying to target, people who care about D&D but don't like the actual game?

Releasing a CRPG at the same time as the new rulebooks would make huge amounts of sense, due to the amount of cross-promotion it would bring. But Wizards doesn't seem to be interested in good ideas for computer games.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
yes, 5th edition goldbox equivalents would be a great way to complement the p&p release, and i guess they just make too much sense to actually happen? :mystary:

Stompa

Arcane
I've been saying the same thing. I really wonder what Wizards' computer game strategy for D&D has been. They've made an MMO, a facebook game, a shitty aRPG, everything except a direct cRPG version of the latest edition of the game. What exactly is the market segment they have been trying to target, people who care about D&D but don't like the actual game?

Releasing a CRPG at the same time as the new rulebooks would make huge amounts of sense, due to the amount of cross-promotion it would bring. But Wizards doesn't seem to be interested in good ideas for computer games.

Wasn't that because Atari sat on the license the whole time while 4e was still hot? Gonna bet that Daggerdale thing was released just to not have the rights revoked.

Zeriel

Arcane
yes, 5th edition goldbox equivalents would be a great way to complement the p&p release, and i guess they just make too much sense to actually happen? :mystary:

My guess is it's a lot of them talking to suits in gaming industry when they want to do things, and the suits say: "Oh no, you can't do an RPG that actually plays like D&D. It has to be an action game or an MMO. Trust me, I have a very large salary, I know better than you."

Alchemist

Arcane
Man, yeah a 5E CRPG would be the perfect move. It's the 40th anniversary of D&D, a new edition - they could really make a huge splash if they play their cards right. I hope they've learned from some of their mistakes in the past. One can hope....

I think the biggest problem they have had in the past is being owned by Hasbro - the decision makers there aren't gamers and don't "get it". Maybe the success of Paizo (owned and run by gamers) has opened their eyes a bit.

Alex

Arcane
This reminds me of DJ:

DJ+Videogame+AD+Scan+%28Necropolis+1992%29+-+0002.jpg

Sigh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom