Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

D&D 5E Discussion

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Alchemist, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    He literally looks like white Pravin Lal, so I don't see what your problem in particular is.

^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    And Lal's got the kind of face that is:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Soyladin 3, Oath of the Male Ally

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    He's dog-whistling Jordan Peterson fans with the "lobster" plushy.

^ Top  
  5. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    if Pravin Lal was gaping like a moron and hugging a toy for children he'd be a nu-male too, but he doesn't, so he's not.
    On Planet there's no room for such frivolous displays. Our colonies' and humanity's survival depends on on everyone to be focused and disciplined, there is no space for fake enthusiasm over plush toys.

^ Top  
  6. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Update: I'm running a Sunless Citadel campaign while introducing a couple of friends to D&D, and I can confirm that it's a good introductory module. It's also more challenging than I expected, though I'd guess it's mostly due to 1st level D&D.

I also changed the combat system to use a modified Greyhawk Initiative. I've seen comments about it being too complex/slow, but that wasn't the case with my group at all. The experienced players liked it a lot and the new ones had no trouble getting the hang of it. Definitely worth testing IMO.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    People here should try Lamentations of the Flame Princess modules; they are easy to port to 5e and are made for Codex audience.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sacibengala Learned

Sacibengala
    Maze of the blue medusa is a great module.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Didn't Zak get #metoo'ed?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What do you guys think of this bit of homebrew? It's a first second third draft for a Barbarian Primal Path: Totem of the Shark.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Though its not a LotFP module, IMO Barrowmaze is perhaps the best OSR megadungeon of all time. Art is beautiful, as is the book overall. Its also recently been ported over to 5e by the original author. (and a sequel megadungeon was also made by him for OSR)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What is the standard setting in 5e? Like, if in the player's handbook it mentions gods and factions, what world are they talking about?

^ Top  
  13. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It has deities from the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron and nonhuman deities. Also included are Celtic, Greek, Egyptian and Norse deities.

The example character being created is a certain "Bruenor" by a certain "Bob". The spells are still the good old Mordenkainen's this and Tenser's that.

I guess it would be fair to say it has no default setting per se; certainly not in the way 3e used Greyhawk, for example.

edit: this is all based on the PHB. I don't own any other 5e books.

^ Top  
  14. Mystary! Arcane

Mystary!
    Most - if not all - official campaigns are set in Forgotten Realms. It's as close to standard setting as you can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    I'm working on a one shot I'll be doing next friday evening. I was inspired by The Thing and the Hateful Eight to set a murder mystery in a snowed in log mansion inn in a blizzard. I'm thinking of combining a gibbering mouther and the doppelganger of course and setting it loose by having it crash through the roof. The gibbering mouther has a flash blinding attack that's absolutely perfect for getaways. I think I'll try to get the players to realize it needs to be set on fire, most will either not have seen the Thing or not make the connection I think so that'll be somewhat tricky. As long as it doesn't end too quickly or without enough fun moments I'd be okay with killing all of them and describing the true form emerging as it ate it's last victim, I think.

It'll be my second time DMing and last time was somewhat rocky but the players seemed to genuinely enjoy it so that's good. Also learned two lessons: Have players make characters beforehand and work out ALL the characters you'll need.

Any tips/advice?

^ Top  
  16. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Create more story hooks and characters than you will need, so you can adapt to players heading in unexpected directions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DavidBVal 4 Dimension Games Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Make one of the players play the murderer (unknown to other players).

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    And all books with additional rules are FR sourcebooks too. Anyone have a reliable source on the claim they have to let Ed Greenwood write a FR sourcebook each year? Because the rate of new material for 5E seems to match that perfectly.

^ Top  
  19. Optimist Educated Patron

Optimist
    What's the size and levels of the party? Unless you're going to fiddle with DC, it's likely that quite a few of the party's members will pass the 13 dex throw. Sinde you'll want it to avoid grouped PCs anyway, you might want to turn it the flash into a weak attack (that can be used in multiattack) and also impose a disadvantage on saving throw if the attacked has no light sources around (due to iris contraction fuckery). This also ties into the fact that you want players to use fire against it.

Have the torches/fireplace go out the moment it crashes through the roof. This should ramp up the panic for non-darkseeing folk, but also gives you the opportunity of describing it recoiling from any source of open flame the moment a player stokes the fireplace/ lights a torch/ throws a fireball.

Play some wintry/rainy sounds on a loop, and prepare a few unnerving music pieces to play in the background. Good soundtrack can turn an OK session into something memorable.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Catacombs Scholar Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I'd play the shit out of this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Great advice! Added it to my notes.

^ Top  
  22. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Just tried that one shot with two friends of mine as a kind of trial. Both of them never really played 5e but I talk about PNP RPing with the one guy all the time and he wanted to play this this evening, they just left. It was really great. That one guy is really creative and smart and I really got into the vibe of describing what the players are experiencing. I didn't much get that last time because it was all down to me really, the players weren't being very creative or inhabiting their character much and my best creative moments are always reactions to someone else, oh you mentioned X, that makes me think of Y and that makes me formulate a whole idea and now I've got it, it always takes outside influence. But this time I had some of that.

But I didn't have much time. We cut it short just now and the monster killed the owner of the place they are stranded in which was my first intended target and they had to go inspect the hole in the roof still and get duped by the doppelganger alien monster still but both were very enthusiasting in continuing some other time so I'll be able to get at them then. At least I got to describe the gooey bloody slimey carcass splattered over the floor and ceiling and haning together haha.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    Active players are a DM's best friend. I've never met a DM who can shoulder the burden alone, no matter how good they are otherwise; if the all players are shit, shy or just off their game, the session's going to suck.

I have no good advice to give, except this: keep running games. The more you do it, the better you become at it. Trust me, I was absolutely shit when I began; I think I've advanced to "average" since then. :cool:

Good luck with your game and have fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    How would you guys rank the 5e adventures paths?

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It is 5e. Automatically and eternally banned.

Fuck wotc in the eye socket.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)