Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Competition Daemongar wins the Codex' Royal Edition copy of Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 9, 2015.

1. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Tags: Pillars of Eternity; Short Story Competition

We recently held a short story competition to give away a Royal Edition copy of Pillars of Eternity.

After much consideration by the judges, we have selected Daemongar's story, "Flowers for Roguey" (a rendition of Flowers for Algernon) as the winner:

Congratulations Daemongar! Check your PMs for your Steam Key to PoE and get playing!

Runner-up was Mastermind with The Balance of Erich Zann. However no prizes are awarded for coming second.

Thanks to all those who entered.

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  2. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Hard out there for a pimp

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    That short story was actually pretty good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    :negative:

Can I at least have a douchebag tag?

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  5. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Congrats Daemongar, good effort. Some amusing reads in that thread.

Didn't go full GD like the Wasteland contest (I guess why we have a result this time).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I actually necro'd the Wasteland contest thread in our content forum and selected some winners. Bug DarkUnderlord about it and he might hand those keys out too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I know it was intentional, but I can't read this shit with all those typos. Was this really necessary? Congrats to Daemongar anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    You want it scaled to your level J_C?

Made more accessible?

Perhaps a quest compass?

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    More of a grammar compass amirite?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    Do you actually have some kind of problem with text being understandable ? Making something unnecessarily complex isn't a virtue. I did feel like the bad spelling added something to the story but it was heaped on a little thicker than it needed to be.

^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    As said, it's Flowers for Algernon spoof, J_C. Read it, 'tis classic.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Never read it, but after checking it on wikipedia, now I understand what was the purpose of the spelling errors.

^ Top  
  13. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Congrats Daemongar!
    Good. Otherwise we would have had to call Miss Roguey for a special treatment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    RPGcodex, where gamers still into reading! Makes one feel special!
    ..also makes me feel old, bitter, angry, introvert, antisocial, racist, misogynist, homophobic and dysfunctional come to think of it..
    ..but where was i?

Congratulations Daemongar ! :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How can anyone not know why the intentional typo's are made ? decline of reading.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Daemongar, post here already to be fisted. Don't be shy, we all know you will love it.

To be fair, Flowers for Algernon isn't as well known in countries that don't have english as their native language.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    Eh I live in Australia and I haven't read it either. My book collection is bigger than my steam library and unlike the steam library I've read it all at least once. I will read pretty much any book I get my hands on too. Considering it is a book from '58 I do wonder how many people read it at school. I'd never heard of it till today which is nice at least because it gives me something to lookout for next time I head to a bookshop.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Heh. This one is actually good! Well done Daemongar.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Wow, I even read the whole text. Congrats Daemongar!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. hiver Guest

hiver
    Shame the winner had to be an unoriginal and blatant copy of another mans legendary work.

That story is one of the biggest inspirations for some specific things in Fallout games, thus is revered by a few around here.
    And its one of the best stories of Science fiction in general.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    Yeah when I read the wiki about it I got pretty interested tbh. Finding a copy of it will probably be a pain in the ass though. There is like one second hand bookshop at the market nearby so here is hoping that works out. Otherwise serious travel :( I might have to leave my cave and go out into the sun/rain.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    You don't need to know the original story to understand why there are typos being used, it's quite obvious he's doing "stupid speak".

Also, it's a concept that was copied in various other places, including Fallout & Arcanum. I knew about the story because there was a Spiderman comic based on it, where Rhino got operated and became extremely intelligent. Was quite an interesting read, especially as a kid.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    I don't know that anyone misunderstood why there were typos. I still think that it was laid on a little too thick and enjoyed it anyway.

^ Top  
  24. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Thanks for all the kind words. If it appears to be a blatant rip-off of another work, well, it was meant in a respectful manner and more or less in honor for something I read 30 years ago (at least) that stuck with me to this day. I could elaborate, but I don't want to spoil the story for those who haven't read it. For the most part, the story follows the books conventions but isn't necessarily the same story.

Also, I read that article on "Balance" by JE Sawyer and thought about the irony of games getting more complex but the actual mechanics are getting more simplistic. Old games were simpler, but required a more thorough understanding of D&D type mechanics. Newer games are more complex, but require almost no understanding of core RPG principles. I prefer the old, and I guess I may have been over the top in the approach. More metrosexual game designers are striving for something that is outside my comfort zone with an eye on creating something where everyone is a winner, regardless of effort expended on the part of the gamer.

Ah well, I could go on with a bunch of borax, but at the end of the day I'm kind of sorry for dragging Roguey into the story. The story needed a love interest, and that cemented it. Thanks for the game!

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  25. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Flowers for Algernon made me cry so much :(

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)