Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Daemongar wins the Codex' Royal Edition copy of Pillars of Eternity

Aenra

thought about the irony of games getting more complex but the actual mechanics are getting more simplistic

preach on Brother..
/brofist (you have entered my list for next year..sorry)

and by the way, who took the brofist emoticon out?!? It was here before we even GOT the /brofist function ffs...

hiver

Thanks for all the kind words. If it appears to be a blatant rip-off of another work, well, it was meant in a respectful manner and more or less in honor for something I read 30 years ago (at least) that stuck with me to this day. I could elaborate, but I don't want to spoil the story for those who haven't read it. For the most part, the story follows the books conventions but isn't necessarily the same story.
A homage, you mean. Thats the term to use where you blatantly rip off someone else work - with respect.

It was a nice rip-off but if i was judging some original work would have won.
Not that it matters much, not attacking you or anything but, im just saying.

Personally, i think you did a disservice to the original work by putting it into this cheap context.

But hey, the codex got to think they matter more and that they are better then they are for a few seconds. And you got the game for it.

Also, I read that article on "Balance" by JE Sawyer and thought about the irony of games getting more complex but the actual mechanics are getting more simplistic. Old games were simpler, but required a more thorough understanding of D&D type mechanics. Newer games are more complex, but require almost no understanding of core RPG principles.
How are the new games more complex?

Just wandering rhetorically, because the idea seems just ludicrous to me.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
How are the new games more complex?

Just wandering rhetorically, because the idea seems just ludicrous to me.
The mechanics, programming, graphics, effort and size of teams is growing as well as a project management and business approach to the cRPG market. Guess that's what I mean by getting more complex. My beef is that the business world, simplicity is seen as quality or refinement, but that focus doesn't jibe with what makes RPG's unique in the gaming world. All the little parts meaningless on their own, but contributing to create a meaningful character or party. The larger the team, the higher likelihood of working to hide complexity from the player or removing complexity altogether in the interest of making the game more approachable.

That's the gist, I guess. Not saying I'm right, that's just how I see it.

hiver

I thought you meant complexity of content and gameplay.

Mechanics of the game as those used in gameplay are surely not becoming more complex, quite the contrary. We see many, many features removed because they are "tedious" to some small percentage of players. Example, archery, arrows and any kind of special arrows - thread in PoE section.

Its of course a mistake to think that just "more complex" automatically means better or that simpler means better.

Better means better.

But i guess we actually agree on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

hivemind

Wait.

This website isn't a girl only space? :O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom